Sponge diving boat trechandiri (tirhandil) by mhmtyrl - Finished

I wonder if displaying it on a piece of beach by the edge of the water would be a fitting way to display it? It seems to be more suited to that sort of display than a typical cradle.

Guess I remember this advice from somewhere ...... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Mehmet I like the detailing that you have done to give this model  a well worn but maintained look, I wonder if displaying it on a piece of beach by the edge of the water would be a fitting way to display it? It seems to be more suited to that sort of display than a typical cradle.

Michael

Thank you Michael, such a nice idea to make a little diaroma out of it :-) 

actually this boat is supposed to be still in service; as there are dried sponges, actively used diving gear etc., so lying on the beach will be looking a little strange. I wish I could make an open sea diaroma, as if diver is in the water and the boat is chasing him while hunting sponges, crew working on newly collected sponges etc.  :-)

Your idea of an open water diorama would be great. With the skills you've shown us, I'm sure you can do it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Your idea of an open water diorama would be great. With the skills you've shown us, I'm sure you can do it.

Bob

thank you Bob, but I guess I will make an ordinary craddle for it, the only sea diaroma I have tried was my schooner in bottle;        http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12352-schooner-in-a-bottle-by-mhmtyrl/     

a bigger one is too much for now :-)

Hi Mehmet,

I like the name on it also.  It adds a personal to touch to a well-used boat. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Merhaba (Hello) neighbour...

Beside a very good model, you had the guts to deal with the aging.!

Congratulations for both of them.post-617-0-05826400-1454912157.gif

Thx 

The perfect diorama would have her t the pier unloding her cargo of dried sponges.  It would highlight your weathering and tell a story at the same time.

David B

Merhaba (Hello) neighbour...
Beside a very good model, you had the guts to deal with the aging.!
Congratulations for both of them.attachicon.gificon_exclaim.gif
Thx 

Thank you my neighbour Thanasis :-)  I guess you still have a lot of these boats on your shores especially in Kalymnos, i watched an old documentary hundred times about sponge divers living there in Kalymnos; was very informative for me :-)

The perfect diorama would have her t the pier unloding her cargo of dried sponges.  It would highlight your weathering and tell a story at the same time.

David B

Thank you David,  a nice idea of pier; as long as it is not open sea :-) and not requiring figures of the crew as much as open sea diaroma...ı gues my figures (have never tried before)  would ruin the boat overall...

Thank you my neighbour Thanasis :-)  I guess you still have a lot of these boats on your shores especially in Kalymnos, i watched an old documentary hundred times about sponge divers living there in Kalymnos; was very informative for me :-)

Mehmet, your good preparation is evident on your model.
And yes, There are still some of those vessels in Kalymnos Island, although are painted like clowns to attract the tourists ... post-617-0-24854600-1454930949.gif
Keep up the good work.
Thx

Mehmet, your good preparation is evident on your model.
And yes, There are still some of those vessels in Kalymnos Island, although are painted like clowns to attract the tourists ... attachicon.gificon_biggrin.gif
Keep up the good work.
Thx

what a pity that lovely historical things become funny objects....hope better ones exist in sponge diving museum :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Mehmet,

Well done on completing the boat. Looking at your realistic weathering I find I can almost smell the sea. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Congratulations, she looks real.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Congratulations on a great model of a well-used sponge boat, Mehmet.   If it were photographed on beach, I think most would think it's the real thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It has an old worn and hard use look. Decrepit and ugly.  I love it.  kudos on a fantastic job of weathering.

David B

Congratulations Mehmet You have added a lot of life and character to your model, very well done.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very nice, a boat with an almost living spirit.

What is the square tin with a timber handle set into it? It looks to have a particular use.

Mark

Very nice, a boat with an almost living spirit.

What is the square tin with a timber handle set into it? It looks to have a particular use.

Mark

thanks Mark.

I tried to model a cheese or oil can converted to a bucket for cleaning the deck, to get some water from the sea, a rope is attached. when I was a child (I am 32 now) I remember this as a usual practice of my grandfather in the summer house :-) home made bucket :-)

it is a coke can by the way :-)