I am new to all this and enjoying it immensely, however one subject intrigues and bothers me, and I guess it might be somewhat controversial. It involves the HMS Temeraire.

Why is there no model (or many models) of this ship? It could be argued she she should be more famous than the HMS Victory, a ship she effectively rescued. She is famous for battle, in art, and in history as a byword for courage, she captured the British publics imagination, and was immortalised by J M W Turner in his painting "The Fighting Temeraire".......yet I find no models of her anywhere.....unless, as my wife keeps telling me I'm "man-looking".....

Is there a reason? Perhaps there is a similar class of ship.....it was Neptune I believe.

Does anyone have any idea? I even grow and sell a rose named after her.....yet no model....it's baffling.

Many thanks......Malcolm

PS.....Surely the HMS Victory must become something of a busted flush eventually by her very popularity? But for the 2nd rate Temeraire she would probably not be here today.

Edited by Plantsman

Why no Temeraire?  You can't go down to Portsmouth and walk around on her decks.

Same thing here.  Only Constitution survived of her class, so no models of the others.

(Turner's pic most excellent.  I have a print hanging on my wall.)

It is a very good question Malcolm. It has also puzzled me.

There is I understand a prisoner of war model of Temeraire at the Wool House Museum in Southhampton. I'm not sure that is close to you but if you do get to see it please post pics. Particularly of the figurehead and figures adorning the stern. There is a bit of a debate about whether she carried a figurehead or not.

Plans of her at the National Maritime Museum are not complete but as you point out if one draws on the plans of other ships of her class one should be able to build up a fairly complete picture for build purposes.

At the end of the day though a scratch build of her would be a massive undertaking not to be undertaken lightly.

Alan

There actually are some models floating around:

post-182-0-43783000-1432459468_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-60236500-1432456457_thumb.jpg

http://www.kartonist.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=14083

Probably more life like than Turner, as the masts are struck ;-)

And a bigger model possibly done for filming (scroll down) with the mystery figure head ....

http://www.stephens-kenau.com/custom_projects-content-view-3.html

Edited by dafi

Those are some great links, Daniel.  Thanks for posting them.  Yes, that figurehead is, shall we say.. a bit different.

Thank you for those images........I guess I will have to accept there is no kit available and look at a scratch build of sorts when and if my skill level improves....I still find it odd that she is not on manufacturers "must produce" list.......she is, unlike Agamemnon or Snake for example, immortalised in print, picture, and the public phsyce.

Perhaps it is the pathos of Turners painting, the sad end of a noble ship being led away to be broken up by a maritime equivalent of the knacker man that makes it not commercially viable. Personally, I think many would enjoy bringing this tough little ship back to life in model form.

Edited by Plantsman

Force9, Dafi & Timmos, I will take your advice and get hold of this book. Thank you for the recommendation. Incidentally, never having used a forum before. Is it polite or protocol to use someone's forum name or the name of the person (if they give it)......I would be inclined to reply to "Evan" rather than "Force9" but am not sure if that the done thing.

Thanks again.....Malcolm

Update: Downloaded book on kindle via Amazon at midnight......sat up in bed till 5am reading it...... Marvellous.

Edited by Plantsman

I've seen the prisoner of war bone models in the woolstore museum in Southampton, and I'm pretty sure neither of them is of the Temeraire.

They're very beautiful, and well worth a look, but It's a fair hike down there from Yorkshire.

Steven 

Thanks Steven

A bit of a hike from Australia too!

There is reference to the prisoner-of-war Temeraire in the Willis book referred to above. Pic as well.

Alan

I wonder what film company in New Zealand is being referred to in the link that "dafi" posted.

The Santisima Trinidad & Agamemnon is mentioned as well.

I'm curious about that too. I haven't heard anything on that front but those pics have been around for a while.