Gaps between planks - are they possible to fix

IMG_0751.jpg

I am a new shipbuilder and I just finished planking my first ship. Now I see that at some places my planks are not connected good. Can this kind of gaps be fixed with wood filler and than later sanded? Or that will look strange?

Pasanax

It may be too late for your current model, but the edges of the planks need to be tapered so they fit properly.  Do a search of this forum and you will see it has been brought up in the past and there are sketches of what I described in words.   If it was me, I would remove the planks and start again, but that is just one opinion.  The caulking lines would only be the width of a piece of tissue or paper which is described in the planking tutorials, and the gaps you show are quite a bit more from what can be seen in your photo.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

From your photo, this appears to be a POB kit? 

Is it double planked and this the first layer?

The purpose of the first layer is to offer support for the actual planking.  On most all kits, the frame moulds are spaced too far apart to give adequate hull shape and plank support.  The first plank layer is intended to provide this.

Smooth off the planking. (Plane, file, sand, scrape) The gapes will be covered by the display planking. 

When you have a smooth base, look at it carefully.  If there are hollows/ dips between mould stations use something like Bondo to fill out the hollows so that base hull has the proper shape for the planking.

The real planking will need spilling,

Ribband location so that no belt of planking has an extreme difference between the plank width at midship  and at the stem or sternpost

and edge adjusting to give tight seams.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Pasanax,

Go here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/   At the top, there's three pinned topic on the planking and how-to...

Also here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php  There's a section on planking and framing with some articles on this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi,

If the model will be painted enough to apply wood filler and sand it.

Tadeusz

My models:

From kits

Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland

From scratch

HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht

Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale

Peter von Danzig

Polacca XVII cent.

Current project:

SS Savannah 1818

Thank you all for the feedback, this forum really helps me because your opinion matters to me, since this is the first ship ever that i am building. So I applied wood filler and now when it dries i hope that i can sand it so atleast its not so obvious.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That looks fine. A great job! Just remember when sanding, always sand with the planks lenghways. Just a tip. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I had the same issue on my first planking attempt.  Since I was going to be painting the hull, I was able to salvage it by using wood filler, sanding, filling again, sanding some more.  Until I was able to get a smooth surface, then I primed and painted the hull.  It looked pretty decent.

I am learning more about drop planks, spiling and joggle planks on my current build.  The forums here and the folks assisted greatly in this.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

That's the way I did my first ship the AVS first layer and it looked much the same as yours. I then tried my best to plank correctly on the second layer which came out better but not perfect, meaning more wood filler. After painting it looked fine. On my current build It is single layer planked but will be painted. I really pushed myself to do it according to proper planking rules. It came out good but not perfect, again paint will save me. The point I am making is the great thing about this hobby to me is learning and improving your skills as you go. Each model has something to teach us and our first I think arguably will teach us the most. It is about the constant pursuit of perfection. I think you have done a great job for your first ship. Keep up the good work..

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

My first attempt at wooden ship modeling back in the 80's, resulted in a so embarrassingly ugly hull planking job that the model was thrown in a closet and never finished. I am glad I persisted and although not perfect by any means, I have 4 finished ships with a more than acceptable hull planking job.

Perseverance is the key word here.

Best of lucks

Ulises 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!