Omega1234

The "What did you do in your Garden today?" thread

Don't let it get to hot I presume you've got the possibility to air. You could use a white floor for light reflection upwards - in commercial green houses white plastic is used, and the stalks are twisted around a string upwards.I've done that, every day we went to wind the stalks up to 2.5 meter. From shoulder hight it was agony.. ah wel got used to it. Don't start all your seed at the same time, especially the cucumbers

Crackers, is the greenhouse completely open to the house side - in other words warm air from house can enter it?  If so, you may be okay leaving them in the greenhouse overnight - easy way to check is to put one of those new electronic thermometers which records highest and lowest as well as current temps and see what the range is now.

re: tomato height - yes I cut mine when the indeterminate variety over tops my tomato ladders - but I would try to get the bush type (determinate is the term the nursery people use) since they will usually stay at 2-3 ft.

Right now the overnight temps at my house are getting down to 39F and I still have cherry and regular tomatoes on the vines ripening. Moving your plants out of the window box overnight and into the home should not hurt them

I've seen those greenhouse windows before but can't remember where.

Edited by Jack12477

Crackers,

can I cut off the tomato tops without harming the plants

yes, just let the top two branches grow and hang down. You kan take the top  from those when they get to large, same goes for cucumbers. In the commercial cucumber greenhouses the plants are grown to 2 - 2.5 meters. All branchings are removed but for the top two. Those latter grow on hanging down, when those branches reach the floor, those are hung over the wire at the top to grow on. You don't have that kind off system, but it gives a bit of an impression

Taking the plants indoors when the sun sets should not harm them. Is that correct ?

Quite so. That's a manageable solution, but you have to take into account the size of the pots and the plants ... considering your back moving them daily (!)

Thanks, Patrick & Piet. 

Yes they are really outstanding this year, best since I planted them.  They were late changing color probably because of the unusually warm weather we had in October so they popped just this past week.  Of course the low angle of the morning sunlight hitting them enhances the color.  The orange leafed one is especially spectacular. It's a stunning green all summer. The red one (center above) is a darkish maroon all summer then goes to bright crimson red in fall.

We just planted 2 of the orange ones; they went into the ground a nice green but have since turned a nice orange. Only wee ones, about 3 feet tall. Well one is; the second one got beat up somehow on the nursery truck, so we got a good price for it. It's been too drizzly of late to take many pix, but it has been one of our more colorful fall seasons.

Ken, mine were 24 inches (red one) and 18 inches (for orange one) when planted - they've grow about 4-5 inches since (very slow growing) - the orange one is a Waterfall Thread Leaf and the red is a Inabe Slidare.  They've spread sideways a whole lot more that they've grown taller. Both are lace leaf.

Edited by Jack12477

Mine are definitely dwarfs - bought them that way from the nursery - maximum height is about 4-5 feet and growth is about 1-2 inches per year. Maximum spread is 4-5 feet (but pruning will control this). Mine have been in the ground since 2009 and are barely 3 feet tall now.

Here are some bonsai pictures.

Acer palmatum Sango Kaku has a multitude of colors all through out the year. Colors are intense. One of the best and the shape turned out as well. Will give it a larger pot in 2016 as it is falling over due to much of the top growth and the angle I started the tree on.

1-Early Spring

post-2705-0-65160000-1447790555_thumb.jpg

2-Mid. Spring

post-2705-0-46192800-1447790567_thumb.jpg

3-Late Spring

post-2705-0-12476400-1447790576_thumb.jpg

4-Summer

post-2705-0-00995600-1447790585_thumb.jpg

5-Early Fall

post-2705-0-05892200-1447790599_thumb.jpg

6-Mid. Fall

post-2705-0-08096100-1447790614_thumb.jpg

7-Late Fall

post-2705-0-45481300-1447790627_thumb.jpg

8-Dormant

post-2705-0-07286000-1447790639_thumb.jpg

Have not figured out a form/shape for this one yet. Leaving it in the pot to thicken the trunk. The Fall color is supposed to be a vibrant orange/yellow. Not the case this year and now it is a vibrant red. As of today the leaves are still on.

Acer palmatum Emerald Lace 1

post-2705-0-83386900-1447791338_thumb.jpg

Acer palmatum Emerald Lace 2

post-2705-0-22279700-1447791349_thumb.jpg

Acer palmatum Emerald Lace 3

post-2705-0-11278400-1447791361_thumb.jpg

Not so spectacular this year. It is now 15 years old

A. p. Tridentum-1

post-2705-0-46119100-1447791371_thumb.jpg

A. p. Tridentum-2

post-2705-0-23910800-1447791383_thumb.jpg

Liquidamber styraciflua. 2 trees which will be tied together with wire and should grow into each other.

post-2705-0-27760200-1447791396_thumb.jpg

Metasequoia glyptostroboides. This one is looking out of shape as I pruned too much this year. The good thing is that this tree is very forgiving. It grows fast so I will be shaping it to form next year. Than I will try to follow the contour. I have the most trouble with tall slender trees. It is a learning curve for me.

post-2705-0-49501700-1447791425_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-11376800-1447791413_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-39593500-1447791405_thumb.jpg

We've been having an extended Fall, a long Indian Summer. It has been averaging 50F. No snow yet. I wonder if we are going to pay for this with a killer winter.

Hi Gabe

What a wonderful photo! I'd love some frozen raspberries now.

Talk about extremes. You're in Canada with snow and ice. I'm sitting in Western Australia with the air con on because it's 37 degrees Celcius outside. Hot!!!

All the best for Xmas and the New Year.

Cheers

Patrick

My long weekend off was spent rebuilding a new fence after the wind stole ours last weekend

this was ruth painting it last October

post-846-0-88701800-1455648477_thumb.jpg

after the winds

post-846-0-41848400-1455648553_thumb.jpg

with so many post that are now in the ground I had to stager then with un-equal distances, so panels were out of the question

post-846-0-66581900-1455648658_thumb.jpg

this is the end result

post-846-0-92602700-1455648734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Nice fence, however, does it leave enough light for your greenhouse ... seems a bit 'on top' of each other ...

P.s. As Mark wrote, Ruth must be thrilled with your model skills  :) 

I see you are making a collection so you will notice when you start getting old ... clever ... hope you'll remember when you get that far what the collection was made for ... :P:huh::rolleyes:;)

Edited by cog