SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Every time I look at your boat I am amazed at your skill.  It always inspires me to do better.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much for your kind comments and compliments, Albert, Bob (raf), Jeff, David, Denis Bob (cap`n),

I`m so pleased that you liked the progress

Also thanks to all the "Likes" for looking in...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you very much John,

I also love those benches, they were the nicest I found after some related search with help of the web....  (photo etch kits), they are for the "Titanic" in scale 1:144

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils

I'm just catching up on your KWDG.  Wow, wow and triple wow!  

I tell you what, every time I say that I can't do something, I'll look at your KWDG for inspiration.  That's enough to teach me that anything's possible and that if you strive to do your best, anything's possible.

Inspirational.

Cheers

Patrick

Thank you very much Patrick and John (Neptune),

and thanks to all the "likes"

Patrick.

a very kind compliment, much appreciated, glad you like it...

John,

thanks so much for your nice words, and for your catch up....

I`ve put on the aft portion of the boats deck now on permanently and it worked out fine. Of course something came to eye after mounting it and clamping it down, I noticed that two of the benches below on the promenade deck were just mounted in the way/ space where the upward stairs should be placed, and four of the holes for the downward vent tubes had been planked-over on the boats deck and forgotten to be cut free again, but both little misfits can easily be put right again.

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

So much good things happened with your Kaiser while I was away, GREAT BUILD!

Deepest RESPECT!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thank you very much Gerhard,

I`m only adding tiny bits and pieces, but when holding the hull in hands I can feel the constantly increasing weight, although the hull was such a lightweight, when taking it off the build-slipway some months ago. Probably its the brass parts and the metal plating coat that owe to the weight....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful work, Nils.  The scope and detail of this project amazes me.

Ed

Wonderful work, Nils.  The scope and detail of this project amazes me.

Ed

Ed,

thank you very much, its slowly coming together and its fun with the fitting out of the decks....

as far as the work is concerned, I can only return a bunch of compliments to you for your wonderful "Exreme Clipper " build, which I love so much, a great model shipwright performence

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Little update...

the stairways are quite easy made due to the pricise brass etch patterns.

One of my most importent work documents is the orientation plan for vents, red indicated (size and tube diameter), and the stairs, green indicated

Nils

post-3445-0-65328300-1480248284_thumb.jpg

folding and primercoating the stairs

post-3445-0-82718400-1480248289_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-06253700-1480248287_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81111100-1480248291_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00351700-1480248553_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I bet Bassett Lowke would have liked the brass etching methods back in the day. Lovely work as always Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you very much Carl and Michael,

and all the "likes"...

Carl,

the etched stair sides and the steps are only folded and you`re right, afterwards (after priming and painting) glue into place with a drop of CA

Michael,

right, I agree, although I have highest respect for the skills of those professional builders work in much earlier days

Nils

Here is a little update .......

on the making of the aft handrail portion in place where the railing performs the rounded bend. I tried several times two flat bend the mahagony handrail by wetting and soaking, with and without heat, etc, very frustrating and without success. Then came the idea not to flat-bend over the 1,5 mm wide side, but to flat-bend and laminate 3 single 0,5 mm thick strips with CA and with help of a little jig, Sigh of relief, it worked out well. Only have to mount and carefully sand down to the required flatness

post-3445-0-38129800-1480327722_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-46359300-1480327724_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-27496000-1480327726_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-94782300-1480327741_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils - either the pins are very big or the rail is very small. It looks great.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi Nils - either the pins are very big or the rail is very small. It looks great.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your words, I should have thought of the "laminating way" of those bends earlier.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lamination is the way to go,  The rail looks great.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Good solution. This is an old model airplane trick for making rounded wing tips and control surfaces. When one is thinking ships sometimes different techniques fade into the background. 

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Many thanks Bob and Bill,

there are probably quite a lot of valuable "know hows" in relation with model aircraft building, especially those made in the good old way with all the framework and shrink-span tissue coating.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I could almost feel your frustration with that railing Nils. It's so maddening to bend a piece of wood just to have it kink when your about 2 degrees from success. I can feel myself getting tense just thinking about it.

Your ship is looking terrific.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

thanks for your words of sympathy Garry,

maybe the experience (laminating wooden bends), if not already known,  may also be of help to fellow builders

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

great idea on bending..........hand rails look super.    nice looking ladders too  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks Denis,

glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update:

Today fitted stern anchor crane, and anchor rest cradle

Nils

post-3445-0-68223800-1480597025_thumb.jpg

the chain is a liitle bit thinner than the bow anchor chains

post-3445-0-11766000-1480597028_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, its been a while since I commented, but your work is just so wonderful.  I've learned so much from you and how you can create these details without relying on kit parts.  Can't wait to see her in her final glory.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you very much Jason,

for your nice compliment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I had been wondering why the rail was shaped that way.  Now it makes sense. 

Bob

Thanks for your nice comments Bob, Albert and John,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed