SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

I had been wondering why the rail was shaped that way.  Now it makes sense. 

Bob

I was wondering the same thing............I knew you'd show us sooner or later  ;)  great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Denis,

so that solved the riddle of the railing shape,.... ^_^  :)

Think I´ll go for the aft mast loading beams and the masts  rigging next, also for the aft anchor chain guide devices and the appropriate winch, and the flag post

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update....

aft mast, the two load beams (connected to mast) and the two stand alone load beams, flag post....

Nils

post-3445-0-29113300-1480950631_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43087900-1480950636_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-06849900-1480950634_thumb.jpg

mast with most of the fastening points for rigg and blocks and belaying pins, the beams are still unpainted

post-3445-0-45662500-1481024073_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-38650100-1481024076_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47562300-1481024078_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils

Once again, exemplary work. You're definitely powering along with your KWDG. Before you know it, you'll be fitting the last piece and settling her into her display case.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Carl and Patrick,

thank you very much for your kind comments,

and thanks to to all the "likes" for clicking on...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update...

companionways from boatsdeck down to promenade deck. Here the port side is weather locked, whilst the stb side gives way to the stair leading down

Nils

post-3445-0-96333200-1481125037_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-08975700-1481125065_thumb.jpg

due to the design (flap back top) it is not necessary to have full standing hight, and also as the stair immediatey leads downwards. Here the "hinges" on the lid are not mounted yet

post-3445-0-73541700-1481125067_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63194000-1481125069_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47573500-1481125071_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looks great Nils, I am definitely gaining a new respect for these ships that you build and the level of detail that you add.

Before you know it, you'll be fitting the last piece and settling her into her display case.

Yes and he might be done before I have finished fixing a few divets on the Albertic.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nils

At what level of detail do you personally stop? I ask because I find it very difficult to decide and was wondering how others deal with the dilemma. Thanks for all the photos and keep them coming - much to admire and learn here.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

many thanks to Michael - Keith - Johann - Albert - Jeff - John - Carl - Tom,

for all your compliments and comments...

and also to all the "likes" for clicking in...

Michael,

still so much to do, when I think ahead of all the filigrane structures along with the command bridge and the related decks, stairways, platforms, boats and railings

Keith,

for level of detail I stop when the tiny parts are getting of too thin stucture, for example the railing in scale 1:144 is about bottom limit... and very sensitive to destortion at every touch

Johann,

thanks fpor your nice comment

Albert,

thanks very much, I`m trying to implement some pf the typical, characteristic details of this ship, such like with the plating and the props, and decore

Jeff,

Thanks for your nice comment

John,

yes, I thought it would be interesting to present both versions

Carl,

I saw this question arising since I posted that update, ..... but they are are lucky to have Sven, the donkey-man, and his assistant amoungst the deck crew, he manages to play his steam winches and load beams like others play piano. It takes him 5 min. for carefully opening / closing the companionway tops, without crushing his fingers (closing only if bad weather is expected)

Tom,

thanks for your nice compliment....

still too early to plan the next project, there is still so much to do with this one....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

Spent the last 3 days going through your last 20 or so pages again. The only thing that I can add to the comments is 'ditto to everyone'. AMAZING IN EVERY ASPECT.

I am so glad that you keep on saying 1:144 scale., because it's very easy to forget what is the scale that you are working in because all the details etc that you do. It could be easy 1:64 or even 1:32 scale.

Sorry that I've been slack for not getting back to you earlier, I'm so buggered and my 'get up and go' has 'got up and went'.

Well mate Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Good morning Greg,

thanks for your nice words, and for looking deep into the KWdG build log recently. I`m very pleased that the small scaled details are liked.

Regarding to your buggering health issues I`m so sorry that you are having these issues and wish you all the best from my side at the other side of the globe. Enjoy reading and commuting at this wonderful, international forum.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update...

today added the aft anchoring gear, the sloped rail for the stud chain, the capstan with chain gypsy and the deck gear-housing. also a tying bollart to secure the chain and the downward chain lead back tube through the deck

The bottom portions of all vents are not painted yet, because the hight may need to be adjusted in hight

Nils

post-3445-0-82624300-1481316589_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49152300-1481316592_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -

Really fine work on the anchor machinery.  Where did you source the stud-link chain?  Or did you make it yourself? 

Love the warning sign.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

G'day Nils

Thank you for you wishes and you are correct when you talked about this forum. To me, the MSW is not just a bunch of model makers around the globe, but a huge family of model maker spread over the whole world.

One question though. The sign on the stern is in english, shouldn't it be in German?

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Hello Oystein, kees, Dan and Greg,

Oystein,

thanks for your comment, I`m not sure if it is mandatory, I read it somewhere in the web thatmultiple screw vessels would bear this sort of warning, but maybe the answer may come out of the fellow membership....

I can remember that the former twin screw "Union Castle liner" I once travelled on had these signs on boards at the aft railing

Kees,

many thanks for your words,...... no contact on that behalf yet...

Dan,

thank you for your kind comments,.....

This "Hobby Lobby" web shop has several different stud link chains. The search kriteria in German is " Stegkette" anchorchain

http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com/onlineshop/index.php/cat/c494_Ankerketten.html

Greg

I know, but the international maritime language is Enlish and the slogan of Norddeutscher Lloyd is / was "Our Field is the World" in sense of presence and trade. Mabe the warning could have been in German language, but to those concerned, (skippers of small craft, captains of passenger tenders, tug captains, etc, in and around ports, English was best understandible and international known

Also thanks to the "likes"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

Thanks for that very good answer. My grandfather once told me 'your day is not waisted, if your learnt something in it' . Thanks to you, my day wasn't waisted, thanks again my friend

Greg

Nils,

I'd be interested to know why the ship has a stern anchor. Have you any history on this? Love the aft deck detail.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Wow! I have been away too long and it will take me a while to figure out where I left off. What I've returned to is magnificent! You have been busy, I will try not to overload your inbox with likes!!

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Nils,

I'd be interested to know why the ship has a stern anchor. Have you any history on this? Love the aft deck detail.

Hi Keith,

thanks for your nice comment,

stern anchor what for ?....

I`m sure that the answers are to be found in the four explanations adopted from the web.

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Stern-anchors-and-four-reasons-you-should-have-one/58641?source=google.de

with the stern anchor, if set correctly, it would be possible to position the stern in a way that the ship would lay more steady, and its passengers would not suffer sea sickness through rolling motions of the ship

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Just catching up on your great build, Golly I wonder just where the time went, I have been caught up in my own little corner the old ship yard along with a lot of house hold chores and with two fall vacations I some how misted your birthday. Very sorry about that, I hope you had a great day and that you did receive all of the new toys that you have wished for and ma by a few more at that.

Fantastic work you are doing on your ship, the deck, vents and sky lights to name a few of your great wonders, just love your hand rail along with your companion way. You sure are building a Great Museum Piece,  WELL Done,                                                                 ENJOY.

Regards    Lawrence

Lawrence,

thanks so much for your words and your nice compliment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wow! I have been away too long and it will take me a while to figure out where I left off. What I've returned to is magnificent! You have been busy, I will try not to overload your inbox with likes!!

Glenn,

many thanks for catching up and for your kind comments, I`m pleased you like it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed