SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Many thanks Bob, Grant and Piet,....

also thanks to the "likes" for clicking on ...

Bob,

it hapens now and then that the result of a few hours work is disapproved and scrapped, decision do it again, and then the realizing, ran out of appropriate semi-material....., so order new and wait for little parcel to come by post...

Grant,

agree, its quite a tough scale, but due to the chosen total length of the model ( 1380 mm ) I could`nt do it in 1:100 it would been 2 Meters long !

Piet,

I know that feeeling in the fingers....

do you perhaps have something in mind as well (not riped out yet) ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

She's coming along sooooooo beautifully Nils.  Your build is a pleasure to follow and learn from.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hi Gary,

thanks for your nice comment,...

Two of the stairs I was`nt so happy with were made new, now ready for primering and painting...

Nils

post-3445-0-77621200-1483631904_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47011200-1483631907_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

very nice work on the stairways........a bit forgiving if they can't be seen.   your next level is gonna look neat!   gee....I had to look back in the log to see where the half round structure came from  :D  :D   forward and upward Nils.........such awesome work!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

very nice work on the stairways........a bit forgiving if they can't be seen.   your next level is gonna look neat!   gee....I had to look back in the log to see where the half round structure came from   :D   :D   forward and upward Nils.........such awesome work!   :)

Thanks very much Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Jeff, Patrick and Albert,

so many nice comments, much appreciated....

Yesterday per coincidence I found some thin wall brass tube diam. 26 x 0,5 mm, shall forsee this for making the four stacks from in an easier way. It was until then intended (now stopped) to roll those from 0,3mm thick brass plate and to solder them over a round dowel

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update...

The making of the nav-light housings, and the access doors to the nav-light towers....

Nils

post-3445-0-61251100-1483811947_thumb.jpg

sawing and filing 2 slotcuts into tube 7 x 0,5

post-3445-0-27894500-1483811950_thumb.jpg

cutting off the end ( sqare with a little jig and saw)

post-3445-0-48399100-1483811952_thumb.jpg

planing the ends in a holding jig

post-3445-0-03582500-1483811954_thumb.jpg

intermediate result

post-3445-0-10500300-1483811956_thumb.jpg

bending a right angle

post-3445-0-94645400-1483811957_thumb.jpg

preparation for soldering on the top triangle cover

post-3445-0-55929300-1483811959_thumb.jpg

deburring and raedy for primering and painting

post-3445-0-38245700-1483811961_thumb.jpg

the port / Stb glasses are made from PVC tube, paint from inside the tube

post-3445-0-11531800-1483811963_thumb.jpg

access doors to the nav-light towers (crew only)

post-3445-0-42541500-1483811964_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70673100-1483901007_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Oystein,

I`m not definately sure if the lifebuoys around 1900 were in this color, the pics I have unfortunately are in black and white because the color photography came on very much later,  I presume that the classic color we know today (red /white) had not been used around turn of the century.

I read it though, that the standard marine safety color was orange. This was also the color of many salvaged rings that are offered by heritage sale houses. Perhaps one of the members knows more precisely....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

I've been following your build with interest, beautiful craftmanship and what's more you manage to capture a flavour

of a type of shipbuilding. There were still some very similar (tough some forty years youger) old ships around when I started at sea.

Now to buoys: there was a shipwreck near Oporto in 1913 and the helm and a buoy were preserved.

Most passangers were saved althoug there were casualties, to add a little atmosphere watch the video of 

passenger transfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eVpSa8k1QQ

hope that helps

Zeh

post-756-0-75590900-1483825894.png

Hi Nils

I've been following your build with interest, beautiful craftmanship and what's more you manage to capture a flavour

of a type of shipbuilding. There were still some very similar (tough some forty years youger) old ships around when I started at sea.

Now to buoys: there was a shipwreck near Oporto in 1913 and the helm and a buoy were preserved.

Most passangers were saved althoug there were casualties, to add a little atmosphere watch the video of 

passenger transfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eVpSa8k1QQ

hope that helps

Zeh

Hi Zeh,

many thanks for your input on this.......and sharing this great video...

Very dramatic, but also effectful the bringing out of the rescue line per rocket from the shore as well as the use of the "pants buoy" for saving persons, one at a time from the stranded wreck

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Jan,

...to find someone who went overboard from a fast moving ship and who perhaps had luck to get hold of a thrown out white colored  lifebuoy , is like searching for the needle in the haystack in upset waves with with breaking white foam crowns. The lookouts could not make them out by the time the ship has turned  for search, or stopped and a search boat has been set to water. there is a better chance with safety colors. Can hardly believe that "White Star Line" and "Cunard" used white colored life buoys

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Incredible work Nils, Beautifully done, She's really coming along  

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you very much Pete,

for your nice compliment, much appreciated,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Bob, Grant and Piet,....

also thanks to the "likes" for clicking on ...

Bob,

it hapens now and then that the result of a few hours work is disapproved and scrapped, decision do it again, and then the realizing, ran out of appropriate semi-material....., so order new and wait for little parcel to come by post...

Grant,

agree, its quite a tough scale, but due to the chosen total length of the model ( 1380 mm ) I could`nt do it in 1:100 it would been 2 Meters long !

I know that feeeling in the fingers....

do you perhaps have something in mind as well (not riped out yet) ?

Nils

Well, Nils, I'm still not even half way with my Dutch VOC ship Surabaya and am planning a 1:3000 sacle Young America and a recently acquired styrene model of the Dutch submarine O16.  Just been too busy with "stuff." 

In the meantime I just come and visit all my friends here.  Your ship is coming along real nice.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Well, Nils, I'm still not even half way with my Dutch VOC ship Surabaya and am planning a 1:3000 sacle Young America and a recently acquired styrene model of the Dutch submarine O16.  Just been too busy with "stuff." 

In the meantime I just come and visit all my friends here.  Your ship is coming along real nice.

Cheers,

Thanks Piet,

wow scale 1:3000, (micro Cosmos !! ), I thought 1: 1250 is midget already

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update...

still working on the forward boats deck and lower bridge section. There is also a lot of deck-planking involved. The little platforms above the stairs coming up from the promenade deck, are the bases for the upper stairs that go to the bridge level (not shown here yet).

Actions that lay ahead : Its also time to think of how to install and fasten the four stacks with appr. 10 ° angle. Have already ordered a 25 mm twist-Auger type wood-drill, in order to make holes for a short 25 mm glued in dowel  to slip the brass stack tubes (26 x 0,5 mm ) on to.

Nils

post-3445-0-92712500-1484218820_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00699600-1484218824_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-68215300-1484218825_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-95931700-1484218829_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-94207000-1484218840_thumb.jpg

the joint area will be planked after the deck is permanently glued on

post-3445-0-15407700-1484218839_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47676400-1484218837_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45380100-1484218835_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93976700-1484218832_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80466600-1484218827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Carl,

I think the english term is "Auger" Drill bit for wood..... :rolleyes:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

unbelievable work Nils!    very impressive!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Love all the wood and metal you've incorporated into this model Nils.

Love it.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you so much Rob and Lawrence,

for your nice compliments....

Also many thanks to all the "likes"....

Rob,

I`m very pleased that there are so many different brass profiles available at my sources, so that these are welcome to be combined with the wooden structures. Also since the use of CA is so common, the glueing of different materials has become relatively easy. I also was able meantime to gain quite some experience with the soft soldering technique

Lawrence,

I am pleased with the results so far, although now and then I get stuck up a bit in order to find the produceability solution, or an alternative thereto

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I fully appreciate your intuitiveness in seeing the possibilities within common items that you incorporate into your build.  It is not a common thing, for some modelers to be able to *see into* something and envision making it into something else...something needed for your ship.  Fabrication of parts on an assembly line like fashion is a hard pressed skill....achieved only over time.  You exhibit much skill in this.

Experimentation coupled with an acute skill set and dextral ability is (IMV) a hallmark of a seasoned builder. 

I've enjoyed your build log and the adventure you have taken us on.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."