SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Thanks go to :  Don, John, Dilbert55, and Carl,

for your nice words, much appreciated....

and to all who clicked the "likes" button...

Don,

thanks for looking in regulary, am pleased you like the build...

John,

as you know I`m a fan of scale figurines on board, just for that reason...

Dilbert55,

...you seam to have read my mind relating to the musical backing up on board, I have a very cute 6 person brass band in correct scale, which I am hesitating to put on, fearing perhaps to overload "the life", but on the other hand there should be something to represent an early entertainment on the virgin cruise, what do you think ?

Carl,

many thanks for your nice and much appreciated words

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

1 hour ago, Dilbert55 said:

Radio did not become prevalent until the 1920's so these happy people must have been enjoying live music while strolling the decks of your wonderful liner. 

agree, live music is the solution....

as the ship is Prussian made, for compensation the music comes from the Bavarian corner of Germany...

Nils

DSCI5330.thumb.JPG.d9cb07949588744e9195e439faec6df1.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

G'day Nils 

Bloody brilliant mate. The brass band would be a fantastic addition to an all ready crew and passengers menagerie.

havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Nils

They remind me of many pleasant visits to the beer tents at Munich's Oktoberfest. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

WOW... is about all can put into words at this point, Nils.  Just takes my breath away and in a good way at that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you so much for your nice words Greg, Keith, Mark and Patrick,

very much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Ammendment

Here is a little ammendment relating to the lifesaver rings of the KWdG for those who were interested.....

This was a query some time ago earlier in this log and I remember I chose safety color orange-red, I could`nt beleave and had doubts that they were painted white.

Now per coincedence I came across this article (partial copied out of "Polytechnisches Journal" around 1900), and describing KWdG`s technical fitting out, and Google translated....

......."The rescue rings have also experienced a notable innovation, they are no longer in the form of a ring but in a horseshoe shape, so that a person in the water is able to slip in sideways."......

I now also remember a Photo (from heritage ships borrowed from the web) of the odd shaped lifesaver with the ships name on the lifesaver, on board which shows the horseshoe shape, and now it makes sense..., obviously the lifesavers actualy were painted white indeed

Nils

5947994d2773b_01651-28kaiser-wilhelm-d-grosse-ndl(1).jpg.5c20c12c4e5be31b6450a161900f5a04.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

little update..

(a few of the ultimate pics)

Nils

DSCI5333.thumb.JPG.5e1dbd66d2492695cae03a34ab3b9a29.JPG

the bridge wheelhouse is removeable for viewing the nautical crew...

DSCI5335.thumb.JPG.15ba65b8ca314669226f35b4f77bae69.JPG

Captain, Helmsman, and the two machine telegraph-operators

DSCI5336.thumb.JPG.5d4b9034e6163f55b6ec436b0c33b9be.JPG

the boy is offering the latest "board news"

DSCI5337.thumb.JPG.462afa332c2bbf8769d0eea589591677.JPG

talks on the forecastle deck

DSCI5340.thumb.JPG.6bef6224254f2f6354ac24cf4ae00e66.JPG

DSCI5341.thumb.JPG.d0ba2c9909fd42479ab29c079f37ecb6.JPG

......."Muss i denn, muss i denn zum Städtele hinaus"......  (old folkssong, later also interpretated by Elvis during his serving time in Germany)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

Bloody marvelous again.

Looking at the black and white photo of the men at the horse shoe shape life preserver, it could be a bright yellow or an orange, not white. Yellowish colours in b&w photo can be produced as a dirty white. The white cap of one of the men is white. See the difference?

Just my view anyway mate.

havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

16 minutes ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

Bloody marvelous again.

Looking at the black and white photo of the men at the horse shoe shape life preserver, it could be a bright yellow or an orange, not white. Yellowish colours in b&w photo can be produced as a dirty white. The white cap of one of the men is white. See the difference?

Just my view anyway mate.

havagooday 

Greg 

You`re right Greg,

I did`nt take something I know its realy white in consideration for comparison, thats the handicap with those old B&W photos, thanks for your input here....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

great progress since I last looked in Nils!   the ship's boats are coming along ........super! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

premature in my post.......I still had a couple of pages to go.......simply awesome is what comes to mind.   you showed up your collection a while ago..........if memory serves me right,  the Cux wasn't painted.........was it?!?!?!  I'm relieved to see unfinished projects......I don't feel so bad :D  ;)     you must be very near the finish  of the liner........truly, a great journey indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

26 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

premature in my post.......I still had a couple of pages to go.......simply awesome is what comes to mind.   you showed up your collection a while ago..........if memory serves me right,  the Cux wasn't painted.........was it?!?!?!  I'm relieved to see unfinished projects......I don't feel so bad :D  ;)     you must be very near the finish  of the liner........truly, a great journey indeed!

Many thanks for catching up Denis,

right, I also have uncompleted models, but since including the Billing Boats "Marie Jean" thereafter "bohuslän, etc. I began completing the models. The Cux is a lonely exception, I could`nt afford the fittings kit at that time, and lost interest in it, but the hull was painted since then. One kit I always had a searching eye for is Billings "Hjejlen" paddlesteamer in scale 1:50, but that kit is out of billings production for decades already :(, what a pitty !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I've been working in my computer to see if can find the colour of the life bouy. 

20170620_152405.thumb.jpg.cd134fa1e0714a01f2fc626b291bc93c.jpg

The above photo I took a sample in photoshop (Red circle) and it was 25%.

20170620_152220.thumb.jpg.e91d4748ff192e1260a249a80716f5b3.jpgThis one is made a graduate grey  scale from the graduate colour scale and I found  the 25% Mark and it's is on the blue line.

20170620_152132.thumb.jpg.5c8a0cda9c5379d0759d373e77c40c9d.jpg

The colour above is something close to the bouy, if my calculations are accurate. 

Sorry for the dots in this colour sample as I took a photo of my screen with my camera.

Hope this will be an assistance for you. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

Many thanks Greg,

you`re really doing detective like "forensic" work with your program possibilities, very much appreciated,

Have a nice day...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

For detecting colours I always use the "RGBfinder". Easy to use and can be done on the screen

http://www.chip.de/downloads/RGBfinder_45329496.html

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

32 minutes ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Nils

For detecting colours I always use the "RGBfinder". Easy to use and can be done on the screen

http://www.chip.de/downloads/RGBfinder_45329496.html

Regards

Gerhard

thank you Gerhard,

for your information and that link...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I dunno.......I just look at it.......yup,  that's white ;)   black 'n white photos make it hard though.   but take into consideration though that it may now be a light gray color due to aging and weathering.

{my glass is always half full} ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, rybakov said:

Beautifull atmosphere Nils, it has only gotten better as it progressed

Regarding buoys, scroll back to January 7th #1837 

Zeh

Thanks for your kind input Zeh,

with this reminder, but I`ll leave the buoys now as is....., otherwise would have to replace them all with white painted self made horseshoe shaped ones, that would certainly go too far detail wise..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful detailing Nils. Love that Bavarian hoompa band. What a feast to the eye your ship is.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

On 25.6.2017 at 5:10 AM, Piet said:

Beautiful detailing Nils. Love that Bavarian hoompa band. What a feast to the eye your ship is.

Cheers,

Thanks for catching up Piet,

and for your compliment with the hoompa band.....

I`m just preparing for the production of the custom taylored glass casing. Think I`ll order the cut glass panes (4 mm glass thickness) from the glasser`s shop tomorrow, it takes about a week to get them...

For the design a have a little 1:1 dummy model of the casing bottom corner, in order to show the glasser where close tolerances are required for the cut.

Nils

DSCI5350.thumb.JPG.e7b7b3f5d1881336d20985c01657be51.JPG

the long casing profiles 12 x 12 mm come only in 90 cm length, so the four of them have to be shafted and the joint reinforced with 4 mm brass square tube, and glued together. The wooden frame will be stained in cherry tone and dull varnished, like the finished casing in the background

DSCI5344.thumb.JPG.65e1f24f5037fb59afb1707d1bde7698.JPG

showing the number of elements that go into the casing

DSCI5347.thumb.JPG.09702e4beb35be2a86fb4834ca98c02b.JPG

the entire 5-sided upper casing can be taken off the base, it will be secured in place with 6 slide pins

DSCI5348.thumb.JPG.829e1b3b31a8ce28ff1e600bb0ccce1f.JPG

the slots for the glass are 4 x 4 mm and appr. 1mm clearance to the glass outside contour (compensation of later expected wood shrinkage)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Oh oh Nils!!!!  

I feel a certain feeling of dread; fueled by a strong sense of dismay😏.  It can't be true, can it???  You're building the display case now? 

That can only mean one thing ....Your wonderful KWdG's journey must be coming to an end.

I can't believe it, because following your Build Log has been tremendously enjoyable.  

What's next???

Cheers. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Oh oh Nils!!!!  

I feel a certain feeling of dread; fueled by a strong sense of dismay😏.  It can't be true, can it???  You're building the display case now? 

That can only mean one thing ....Your wonderful KWdG's journey must be coming to an end.

I can't believe it, because following your Build Log has been tremendously enjoyable.  

What's next???

Cheers. 

Patrick

Patrick,

thanks very much for your words...

there are still the radio aerials to make, the nameplate, and the derrick cargo beams to be rigged. As the casing will also take some time to complete, I think I can do that simultaeously.

For the next project I have`nt made up my mind yet,

although there are many ideas spooking round in my mind and I would like to settle on the right decision, to stand it through.....

love the "Chebece 1750" , Karl (Jeronimo) is doing in the moment, (not an easy one !!)

or the Danish "Hjejlen, paddlesteamer", live museum ship

or the German "lightship Elbe 1"

or the British cutter "Alert" of 1777, (the uncompleted build log of MSW member Lee has given me a very strong inspiration some time ago....)

or the French "Le Canot Imperial" Napoleon`s oar-driven state bark

And it could just as well hapen, that something else strikes my mind on short term, which would possibly even overrule the others

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I'm with Patrick, with a long and sad heart knowing that this immaculate build and log will be ending soon.

Have your thought about doing the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE? I would say this would suit and your incredible talents to the make an incredible job, again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

On 26.6.2017 at 5:18 AM, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

I'm with Patrick, with a long and sad heart knowing that this immaculate build and log will be ending soon.

Have your thought about doing the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE? I would say this would suit and your incredible talents to the make an incredible job, again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Thank you Greg,

I need to do some more research to help myself on the decision track, and have an eye on a certain set of plans for a scratch build, more probably next week...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed