SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

54 minutes ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Nils

Now, here's a thought...how about doing a large scale model of a modern mega-yacht (similar to what I'm building now).  You could even detail the interior!

It'd be right up your alley:)

What do you think?

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks for your words Patrick,

I`ve taken farewell from the large scale models some time ago. The ones I had were designed for a RC control device, the hardware I had from the sixties or seventies and some people asked me if it was self made, it was one of the first Robbe 2 channel devices. Then I was told that it was not allowed to opperate the appropriate frequencies any more, so it went to the electronic waste bin. Now no more large models, on top of that I do`nt have the space in the house any more. For building sofisticated interior like you do, I trust I would`nt have the patience....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

19 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thanks for your words Patrick,

I`ve taken farewell from the large scale models some time ago. The ones I had were designed for a RC control device, the hardware I had from the sixties or seventies and some people asked me if it was self made, it was one of the first Robbe 2 channel devices. Then I was told that it was not allowed to opperate the appropriate frequencies any more, so it went to the electronic waste bin. Now no more large models, on top of that I do`nt have the space in the house any more. For building sofisticated interior like you do, I trust I would`nt have the patience....

Nils

Ahhh. Ok Nils. Perhaps I used the wrong term by saying 'large scale'.  I guess I was comparing it to my teeny tiny boats.  What I should've said was a model that was perhaps, 2 to 3 feet long, at the most. That'd be roughly the same size as your wonderful Pandora.

Just a thought.  Totally your decision, of course!  

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Nils 

When Patrick talks about large scale, he's talking about 1:64 or so.😆

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

On 27.6.2017 at 3:03 PM, Omega1234 said:

Ahhh. Ok Nils. Perhaps I used the wrong term by saying 'large scale'.  I guess I was comparing it to my teeny tiny boats.  What I should've said was a model that was perhaps, 2 to 3 feet long, at the most. That'd be roughly the same size as your wonderful Pandora.

Just a thought.  Totally your decision, of course!  

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your words, but the credit for the wonderful built "Pandora" goes to member Marsalv

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Nils, I like the photos on case construction.  They are very helpful.  I find case design to be something of a challenge with conflicting priorities - size vs strength, strength vs visibility, ease of disassembly, etc.  Some interesting ideas here.  Thanks.

Ed

18 hours ago, EdT said:

Nils, I like the photos on case construction.  They are very helpful.  I find case design to be something of a challenge with conflicting priorities - size vs strength, strength vs visibility, ease of disassembly, etc.  Some interesting ideas here.  Thanks.

Ed

Hi Ed,

many thanks for your words, I`m pleased, if it can provide the one or other idea. It will be the seventh casing I`ve made on this basis, and they are lasting for years already. The available display place is also a criteria to be considered. I use my small 1:1 dummy mock up corner for backward calculatuion... length display space, casing outer frame dimensions, u-slot in the beams, wood shrinkage clearance and determine the size and tolerances of the glass panels.

I issued a seperate case making thread some time ago, here at MSW, it may be of interest.....

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3011-how-to-do-maritime-suit-tailored-glass-cases-for-displaying-models/

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for the link to your case-making, Nils.  I've thought about trying my own hand at making a case, since the custom models are pretty expensive.  But I've mostly been intimidated by the 3-dimensional framing.  I'm going to study your work, and maybe I'll give it a try -- my Rattlesnake and Prince are getting TOO dusty!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

11 minutes ago, Martin W said:

Thanks for the link to your case-making, Nils.  I've thought about trying my own hand at making a case, since the custom models are pretty expensive.  But I've mostly been intimidated by the 3-dimensional framing.  I'm going to study your work, and maybe I'll give it a try -- my Rattlesnake and Prince are getting TOO dusty!

Cheers,

Martin

thanks for your catch up Martin,

yes, the amount of dust that can settle on a model is enormous, for that reason I work with preliminary plastic foil also during the building phase

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Perfect work on the ship, stunning!

And I`m sure, the showcase will be the same quality.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

This build has been a delight to follow Nils, and you have produced a model of outstanding interest and beauty.

You have my utmost admiration.

Regards,

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E.,

for your very nice compliment, much appreciated, I`m very pleased you followed and liked this heritage liner.

Just finished a nameplate, that will go into the case that will probably begin in the coming week, when I get the glas panes

Nils

DSCI5355.thumb.JPG.556e5221b96c6059af2676aa583b5f64.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

2 hours ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Nils

Perfect work on the ship, stunning!

And I`m sure, the showcase will be the same quality.

Regards

Gerhard

Thanks very much Gerhard,

the glass case will be nothing fancy, but large glass areas for good viewing from all sides, minimum frame thickness, and rigid enough for the bonnet to be taken off upwards. As the 4 mm thick glass brings quite some weight, it takes 2 persons to safely handle the bonnet, when settling it down on the brass positioning pins of the baseplate.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Excellent Nils. I await the next one with interest.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Excellent Nils. I await the next one with interest.

Thanks for your compliment Keith,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

In a way it is a pitty to see this build come to an end. I have throroughly enjoyed it. Another master piece in your growing collection. I hope your next build will be as challenging for you and educational for us. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

thank you very much for your kind appreciative words. For rounding up the build there will next to the appropriate post update, still be a set of photos to be made and to be placed in my gallery.

For my next model I have now made up my mind and chosen a Chebece type vessel. I simply just ca`nt free my mind from the lovely pics of this ship type that Karl, member (Jeronimo), did show in the introduction to his current build. I presume the French Chebec "Le Requin" may be a bit above my skill level, but I have ordered the plans and building intructions only, from Amati in Torino for the beautiful Arabian / north African Amati Sciabecco 1753 Chebec. The scale I am intending to enlarge from 1:60 to 1:48, and to perform it in a modified and customised POB scratch build (somewhat like the hull framing I did with the Pegasus build from Amati Plan some time ago). In the moment I`m still in the research and planning phase, while the KWdG is being completed.

When the time for the start shot comes, of course there will be a seperate build log....

The enclosed pic is borrowed from the web...

Nils

1427-xebec-1-60-boat-wooden-amati.thumb.jpg.64c7cf5cbcf711f95b6df0e7c9e976f3.jpg

here a sample of the Amati Sciabecco 1753 Chebec in scale 1:60, as per kit

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

You sell yourself short. I am convinced you can build the Requin with the plans from ANCRE. However, you should build what you like, as it remains a hobby, and should be, although challenging, fun to do. I look forward to your new build log

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Carl,

thanks for your nice words,....

I presume that building the "Le Requin" 1:48 from the Acre (book) plans in the way it deserves, is to a certain degree like the task of building a "Swan Class Sloop" after TFFM plans in 1:48. Maybe I could do it, thanks for credit  there, but I feel I would`nt have the patience to stand it through. I dip my hat to those fellow builders who have that skill and patience to finalize their awesome large size models

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils, that's a very elegant looking ship, that Chebec.  At the scale you are planning on it should give you a lot of pleasure and satisfaction. That's why I have added a Buginese Prauh to my want list.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you very much Piet,

for your nice words,

I have tried to look up the Buginese Prau(h)w you mentioned but found no results on the web, do you perhaps have a pic showing the ship type.... ?, I would like to learn...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Yes Nils, you can try Buginese Pinisi or Bugis Hhinisi schooner. When I lived in Surabaya, Indonesia, (that was before the war with Japan) my father took me to the harbor where I saw the Makassar fishing boats and liked them already then. They are still being build today and all by hand too. We used to call most of the sailing boats a "prauw." Sorry for the misleading word that seems to date back to before yesteryear ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for your answer to the boat type Piet,

I once read that that the skilled indonesian boat builders of the actual Puginese Pinisi did`nt even need plans to build the ship...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

this has been a great log to follow Nils....you've done so much to bring you to where you are now.   your latest touches are awesome,  and I'm sure the case your making for her will be extra special.

she's a very beautiful model.......very well done! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

thank you very much for your nice compliments,.....

The case has been started, but then my wifes laundry dryer had a break down for a ripped off drive belt. I ordered a new one which came today, so I spent the remaining afternoon, taking the dryer apart, and searching U-tube and the web for a hint how to get the new belt around the drum and to get it spaned correctly. After 3 hours of sweat running and putting all together again, it works like new, and the admiral is happy.

The glasser did a very good job (exact cutting and all within required tolerances). Yesterday I made the Baseplate of the case with its quaterround concave edge lines all around, and shafted the 4 long beams......, next will be light sanding over, and staining of the wooden parts...

Nils

DSCI5365.thumb.JPG.03efdb7b398a27386a3aab2636bb0719.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I realized that you incredible model was going to be 2 meters if I remember correctly, but seeing that base and glass just shows the true size if it.

You got some interesting books in your collection. I could see them properly, but they all seemsto be on ships.

Havagoodweekend my friend and I'll be waiting for the start of you next venture. Very interesting project indeed.

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...