SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

sorry to hear about the ship Nils.........I too hope nothing goes out of whack.   your making such great progress with her........looking very nice.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Denis,

it really looks like the glue-swelling out went back over the week. Quite good that I did`nt remove it, otherwise there would be pits in the "skin" now....

I`m working at the decks in the waist areas now, after finding a supplier for wonderful precise cut mini pine planks 2 x 0,8 mm. The "caulking" is done with a soft dark pencil along the planks edges

Nils

post-3445-0-95291300-1439632593_thumb.jpg

a set of 300 fine cut pine-planks 2 x 0,8 mm

post-3445-0-18539800-1439632398_thumb.jpg

planked forward waist area

post-3445-0-01067100-1439632408_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-38923700-1439632419_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50424400-1439632424_thumb.jpg

the lower aft waist deck stripes

post-3445-0-60304800-1439632431_thumb.jpg

will do the shrouds for the aft mast later on with buckle screw fastening / tensioning , therefore sufficient bases for anchoring points beneath the deck stripes

post-3445-0-73331200-1439632438_thumb.jpg

the promenade deck will cover these outcuts in the sides later on

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils

Nice work! You're really moving at a fast pace with the decking, that's for sure. I'm also glad to hear that the swelling of the glue joints shrank back once dried. Failure to do so would've been quite a setback for you, so I'm happy that it worked out well for you.

Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Glad to hear your glue swelling issue sorted itself out Nils. Mighty fine progress there.

glad to see the hull fared well.........probably needed a bath anyway,  with all the dust you've been kick'in up  ;)   love the deck planking......looks really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks to Patrick,- Grant, - Popeye,- Bob, -

and all the "likes"....

Patrick,

I`m also glad that this is overcome now..

Grant.

yes. that was a lesson related to high humidity air getting into the room

Denis,

thanks for your nice comment

Bob,

I`m also quite happy with the deck planking. The smaller the plank dimensions get, the more fragile the plank edges are whilst cutting to length and after laying and sanding. It gives a little messy deck surface with the slight remains of white glue, sanding dust, and pencil-caulking charcoal

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Good news Nils and your decking looks super nice.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I just love to see your updates - lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you very much John, Piet and Kevin...

for your kind appreciations

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 16

did a trial mock up today for for rounding the 19 mm high cabin wall corners. The doors are  15 mm resp. 14 mm  high depending on position of mounting

Nils

post-3445-0-62162300-1439832034_thumb.jpg

doors with window frame, and doorknob are of brass

post-3445-0-28081000-1439832046_thumb.jpg

cut a profile bar for the corner- fitting of the cabin wall plates

post-3445-0-60937200-1439832055_thumb.jpg

easy to round and blend out

post-3445-0-41408700-1439832068_thumb.jpg

a good base for the plating....

post-3445-0-43915200-1439832078_thumb.jpg

gives a nice smooth corner connection

post-3445-0-59912600-1439832091_thumb.jpg

door and porthole fitted

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, is there a reason for oversizing the wood, or is it just to get the shape

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin,

correct, its only a mock up for getting a good round "Corner", the silver plating indicates the hight of the walls (19 mm between the decks)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

lol - if you are doing that for everything, at the end of the day you will have two complete ships

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Very nicely done, Nils. However, I find the rivet heads 'read' a bit too prominently. Perhaps it's the fact that they are reflective at the moment?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Auh .. .. ... what kind of magic you use ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

many thanks - Kevin,- Druxey, - Nenad, - John,- David,....

and the "likes"...

For all your kind comments

Kevin,

a good comment, but not general practise, ....if there are certain details I find its worth doing a trial before doing repeatable objects, I do it, and possibly see where it can be improved, this has saved me much time work at the end. On the other hand I would be happy if I could see trials and thoughts (in pics) from fellow builders as well, i find this makes the "spice" of a builder`s forum comunity like this

Druxey,

the resembled rivet size depends on the tooth-module I use on my poncing wheel. Here I used double thick aluminium foil, because I had some scrap strips left over. I thought I would have to put more pressure on the ponce wheel. Will probably flatten the the rivet head a wee bit, but thats why it`s a trial,...improvement pending

Nenad,

glad you like it, its only making use of what I had already experienced in some way before and to my own satisfaction

John,

Thanks for that nice pic relating to rivet joinings at the bridge cab. Have you been officer on the "MV. Meringa", a nice ship

David,

for deck planking I use 2 x 0,8 mm precise cut pine strips. The basic material is probably machine cut pine veneer. Unfortunately I ca`nt cut that precise in those dimensions myself. The strips are glued to the raw deck made of 0,8mm plywood. This way the total deck thickness is around 1,5 to 1,6 mm

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

You may also want to experiment with the hardness of the surface below the foil when embossing the rivets.  Harder material will decrease the rivet size and height.

The model looks great.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

yes, I`ll be looking into a different shore hardness for the rubber pad I use underneath

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- I've finally had the chance to catch up on your progress:  Whew!  there's quite a bit here, plus the close shave with the humidity!

This is a great log showcasing the skills of a Master Builder, and for the narrative spills and thrills!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for looking in again and for your nice comment. ...

In the moment I`m just figuring out what semi materials there will be required in brass for the coming sequences, so its a bit of thinking ahead, determining possible alterations how to do certain details before spending the money. There will also be much soldering involved. The scale 1:144 is quite a task, but also fun to find solutions...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Auh .. .. ... what kind of magic you use ?

I agree with Nenad.  What you do is impossible it must be magic.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

ha....thought i'd take a peek at what you're up to, and wow, talk about detail....those props are amazing...i know i'd never have the patience for something like that.....ship looks like it will be very detailed and i can't imagine how many years it's gonna take....do you have someone to take over after you :)..............congrats...              vic

Many thanks to  Bob (cap`n), Vic and Dirk...,

for the fine words...

Bob,

I do hope that the "Magic" dos`nt let me down when the tricky things start, there will be so many details I do´nt even know know in the moment how I will do them later... (golden stern decor, railings, vent Hoods, funnels. etc....)

Vic,

Thanks for dropping in....

as I mentioned in the introduction to this log, this build is going to be my most ambitious one, but I trust I`m quite good in the Timing. I have to make a break when the hull is plated, in order to finalize my HMS Pegasus....

Dirk,

Danke Dir.....

hope you shall have pleasure in dropping in now and then, regards out of the greater Hamburg  neighbourhood area,...

I love your build "Maria", you`re making a real gem out of that kit...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Little update...

have been producing some of the doors in different hights and with different size windowframes, also some forecastle doors, and about half of the double-story promenade deck windows

Nils

post-3445-0-79624000-1440321780_thumb.jpg

the window frames have been sprayed with dull clear varnish in order to keep the brass shiny.

the 4 doors for under the forecastle deck (with each two locking levers) will also be painted

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed