SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Hi Patrick,

I`ve been thinking, just for that reason,  of spray painting several times already, but spraying from a pressurized can now and then sprays little drops of paint, that do`nt vaporize sufficiently. I also made some trials with resin based dull surface and soft brush application, that drys down to a smooth homogen surface. Will probably do it that way..., also you may have experienced yourself already, that a little too long duration on a surface area brings "running leak noses", and removing these is very frustrating.

For this build I intend to spray on a special clear color primer bonder, that is supposed to bring a super bonding of paint on (even shiny) aluminium surfaces without special pre-surface-treatment. If that works out like it should I`ll be be totally happy. A little care is necessary with the masking (hull waterline) in places where the masking covers the plating overlapping edges. In that case I use special thin paper based, self adhesive, soft lining tape, so far with good results

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils - 

AOL had a glitch with my MSW emails, so I was out of the loop for a while.  You have accomplished great work in that time.  The plating and rivets look perfect for your artistic vision of the model.  

I don't know a supplier of aluminum, self-adhesive foil, but I get that type of foil in copper from stained glass craft suppliers.  They are great for copper plating a sailing ship since they come in so many widths.   Maybe that can work for you if you are painting the hull.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I bought my last roll of aluminum tape at a large hardware store.  It is used to seal heating ducts. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks to Bob (Rafine), Dan, Bill, and Bob (cap`n),

and all the "likes"

for your appreciations and your nice and encouraging comments...

Bob (Rafine),

Thanks, the hull painting session wo`nt be so far away. I`m trying to evaluate if the underwater part should rather be in a brownish copper Color or in brick red, and the overwater hull in black or rather in anthrazit (dark Grey, like charcoal), All Colors in dull surface appeal

Dan,

Thanks for your Input relating to the foil in copper material. I have now, in order to avoid this uncertain Situation (enough or not)

, unrolled the remaining stock on the roll and 99%  find it will be enough left, if I avoid to produce much scrap

Bill,

you`re very wellcome aboard the KWdG`s shipyard, I`ll be happy having you supervising the build from Idaho

Bob (cap`n)

thanks for the Information, the foil has to be a certain thickness (withstand poncing without penetrating) , and the gluefilm is a very Special one that holds on "like hell", once applied to the Underground.

I just had bought a small roll of self adhesive Aluminium tape from my regional Aldi-Market, to try it out, but that stuff is unfortunately too thin, and the glue dos`nt suit my requirements

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

awesome work on the hull Nils.........as said..it's so realistic!    super progress  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The hull plating is creating the right "Atmosphere" for your hull Nils it looks great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nils.... Sorry, I m just now discovering your KWdG log. Wonderful craftsmanship! The metal clad plates are amazing.

Been through your log once.... Going to go through again more slowly.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The hull plating is creating the right "Atmosphere" for your hull Nils it looks great.

Michael

Thank you Michael,

yes, the riveting / joining of those steel plates was probably the only technique 118 years ago for seagoing steelship building before the welding technique took over. I thought that somehow it should be possible ta catch a bit of that "atmosphere". 

Here are two samples of "Titanic`s" rivets...borrowed from the web

Nils

post-3445-0-34945300-1444203860_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49323400-1444203861_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils.... Sorry, I m just now discovering your KWdG log. Wonderful craftsmanship! The metal clad plates are amazing.

Been through your log once.... Going to go through again more slowly.

Dave

Hi Dave,

many thanks for you nice words, you are very wellcome and I`m glad you are aboard..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

awesome work on the hull Nils.........as said..it's so realistic!    super progress  :)

Good morning Denis,

Thank you very much for your appreciation,... it takes some time to get all those plates in the right positions and in alignment, whereby the rivet joints must be stagered in vertical direction. Am now downwards at hight of the bilge keels...

the shaft housings and the tailcone are a bit tricky..

Nils

post-3445-0-68823600-1444204467_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-56805100-1444204470_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-23887700-1444204472_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-89648300-1444204473_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-89077300-1444204475_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Boah Nils, das sieht megacool aus! Super! Wo wohnst Du nochmal? :D

Danke Dirk,

die Werft steht in Glinde, ist doch bei Dir gleich um die Ecke...

Gruss, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Those are just some wonderful photos!  I  really like the way the plate and rivet patterns work together.

Great stuff and thank you for sharing your plating technique.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

thank you very much Nigel,

for your appreciation and I`m glad you like the plating

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The Wizard of metal works !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Many thanks Grant and Nenad,

for your nice compliments, they are much appreciated..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I was wondering how you were going to do the plating around the rudder and props.  And of course,  you did a marvelous job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob and David,

thank you very much for nice comments, I think one more day and the plating will cover the entire hull..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Mick,

thanks for your nice comment.

Have just finished the bottom plating and put the hull back on the stand again. There still remain some small areas at the stern to be plated...

Nils

post-3445-0-56004400-1444317723_thumb.jpg

removed the stand plate, and left the 3 spindles standing

post-3445-0-32474500-1444317726_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-36664100-1444317729_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93601100-1444317734_thumb.jpg

the last bottom plate was put on this afternoon..

post-3445-0-37904300-1444317737_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-85196300-1444317739_thumb.jpg

here the staggered vertical joints can be well seen...

post-3445-0-96101400-1444317741_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-66009200-1444317744_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful plating, Nils.  At some point in the future, someone will look at her and wonder if you built her like the original.  The plating is that good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks to SAL, and Crackers,

and all "likes"

for the many nice appreciations foir the KWdG build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you so much Mark and Patrick,

for your nice words, very much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, the plating enhances the narrowness of the beam. She must have been a speedy ship.

David

David,

thanks to you,

she was awarded the blue ribband due to the speed, which again was a result of good design engineering, but she was also subject to negative rolling performance with the narrow beam

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed