SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Hi Oystein,

I wish you much fun and success in trying out the one or other inspiration giving detail, whenever the time comes....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update....

I am having some trouble with my digital camera, the additional memory chip is not accepted any more, and I do`nt know why. So the camera`s regular built in memory capacity only lasts for 4 pics. At least that still works. Will need to look out for a new camera after so many years and thousands of pics done with it...

except for the last piece of railing (was about 25 cm too short of material) I have now the railings on the promenade deck. 

The forward rounded pieces were tricky, because of the outcuts for two stairs and the walkway. The top handrails are made from 1 x 1 mm brass U-profile and glued on with CA. I intend to put a thin strip of mahagony 0,6 x 1,5 mm on the upper side of the handrails later on.

I`m most pleased and happy that the oversstressed stb. side shrouds needed not be redone ! (recent accident)

with a little  trick they could still be spaned properly, a piece of a 1mm diam. round pin was shoved under the shroud wires on top of the spreader plate, before they round the mast. Now  there is only one starbord backstay to be redone.

Nils

post-3445-0-99922500-1465915090_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-18895300-1465915095_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-22294400-1465915099_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-14765200-1465915103_thumb.jpg

the painting of the railings is momentary only in those areas where there is not so good accsess at a later stage

post-3445-0-95772100-1465915106_thumb.jpg

refastening of the shrouds by means of a horizontal steel pin on the spreader platform

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I to think it just keeps getting better, if that is even possible. love your updates Nils. Watching your liner come to life is a pleasure.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Hi Nils

Great build getting better and better, and good trick with the shrouds!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Great job on the railings and with the wood on top it will be even better.  The fix on the shrouds will never be seen except by you.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

many thanks to Patrick - Steve - Gerhard - Bob (Cap`n),

for your kind comments....

Patrick,

yes, that flash thought came to my mind, when I remembered the supporting wood chock fitted under the shrouds of most 18 th century square riggers at the mast-tops

Steve,

thanks again,....., there certainly will be many updates to follow...

Gerhard,
thanks for the compliment...

Bob,
for the railing handrail I was searching the web for a source that would provide wood in profile 0,6 x 1,5 mm, in good quality, and had luck in finding one...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looking super nice, Nils.  And that's a great fix on the shroud.

Regarding the camera, is is the problem the built in memory chip or the removable card?   I've had my SIM card fail and just replaced it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for your nice comment Mark,

it`s the removable card (was 2 GB together with an adapter-card to slip into the camera).

I bought a new one (now 8 GB together with an adapter-card to slip into the camera).

Result : the new card will not be activated when the camera is switched on, so I put the old one back in......, and was shocked that the old one also did`nt work any more.

Because I always removed the card (when transfering the picture data) when I put it in a seperate adapter for my PC, this wo`nt work any more either, so what to do .... ?

I bought a special cable one side plug for the camera, other side for USB stick. Now at least I can transfer the built in capacity data for 4 pics from the camera to the PC. I should have bought that cable years ago already !

Guess the internal interface of the camera for taking the external memory card has somehow suffered contact inside ...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

I suspect that camera isn't able to fully use the 8Mb on the new card.  I ran into that as mine uses a 4Mb card.  The 8Mb card creates problems like what you're having.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Nils on that very intricate work and nice save on the shrouds.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Nils

I find it impossible that each entry of yours is getting better every time. But you proved me wrong.congratulations mate.

Regarding the new flash card for your camera. Try to format it in your camera. That might help. Your old card, try to turn off your camera and insert it and turn it on again.

Allthebest

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

A lot to learn here !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Many thanks to - Mark(taylor) - Carl - John - Bob(rafine) - Piet -Greg(peg leg sailor) - Nenad,

For the nice comments and appreciations, much appreciated

and all the "likes" for looking in....

Mark,

that could be the reason, the new card is 8GB (gigabyte), from the outside it looks like the old (2 GB) one, I`ll have to looking out for a new camera.

Carl,

you`re right, made the check, and the PC does not recognise the new card as a storage card (wasted the money on that investment   :(   ) . The old card is still recognised by the PC though

John,

I`m pleased you like it ....

Bob,

its of course different to the wooden squareriggers, but I love the technique involved with these oldtimer steamers

Piet,

yes a relief after all, its good I did`nt rip away the old shrouds while I was still frustrated....

Greg,

thanks for your suggestion, I tried it, but no reaction there either...

Nenad,

thanks for your comment, am pleased you like it....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Not necessarily wasted ... if you buy another camera it might work. On the other hand, does your PC notice you inserted hardware? If not, you could try it on another one. Sometimes it suddenly works. I normally try my laptop, if it doesn't work, my windows (7) pc, else my linux PC/server. If it still doens't work, I'll have it exchanged. I presume you have some warranty on it ... mostly I work with the cable connection, much simpler, no problems with cards ...

P.s. I love the railing, it's almost a sin to paint it ... beautiful work

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

Thanks for your comment......

you`re so right with the use of the cable. If I would have done so from begin on, I could have simply left the card in the camera. Actualy since i`m posting in MSW the card was put in and out every time, and so a matter of wear, when the contacts giv e up their life. 

The new ( 8GB) card was only 5,99 EURO, I`ll save it up till I have a new camera, where it may fit.

The railing looks quite good, although its so fragile and takes so much care to get it / keep it straking, when the handrail is glued on (need to get the CA into the 0,5 mm wide slot)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

It's ironic, Nils, that you should succeed at such a high level in building KWdG, only to get tripped up with modern conveniences like digital cameras.  B)

Fabulous work as always.  That railing is outta this world!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Many thanks Martin,

By switching the camera`s pic quality from "high" to "economy", wich is still sufficiant, I can get 7 pics out instead of only 4 from the built in memory capacity

In the meentime I have received the 0,6 x 1,5 mini mahagoni strips. They will be glued to the painted railing later on, trust that will  provide a nice nostalgic looking handrail.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

today started with the lower davit-bearings. There will be 10 boat stations on each side, calling for 40 turnable (360°) davits in total. The davits will be looking like prototype one shown in my post # 1124, slightly modified.

The lower bearings I intend to glue against the promenade deck L- rail that already is present for mounting the railing to. The upper double-bearings shall be fastened to the brass  framing of the boats deck....., reference is taken to enclosed scetch....

Nils

post-3445-0-24632800-1466086936_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43571600-1466086929_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-85936100-1466086933_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70726900-1466086931_thumb.jpg

taping the deck for finding and marking (transfer to the sides) the correct davit positions, red markings

post-3445-0-55890400-1466086926_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much John,

its great that certain small profiles are available in these small dimensions as semi material. The ideas come when seeing the profile variety

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Miniature?  No.  Just like Igor has a giant match stick, now you have a giant blue heated pin.  ;)

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Bob,

thanks for your comment

the parts are only small, but quite easy makeable. All 40 bearing parts are done and 20 of them mounted on the port side already. If the CA glued joint holds well, it will be an alternative to soldering. I was afraid to solder so near to the railing.

For the deck housing I`m starting with the aft cabin section, in order to get a feeling for the matching of doors, windows, handrails, etc. Also I´m intendind to do some structuring and metal plating. The housings arre from 1,5 mm ply, with rounded corners (like shown in an earlier post of this thread). To suit the decks curvature the fore- and aft plates have concave resp. convex curvature.

For the first study, there is again an obligatory hand scetch, so that alterations / improvements can be implemented easily

Nils

post-3445-0-06427400-1466182849_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-61779400-1466182835_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-11614100-1466182839_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-98114100-1466182849.jpg

This is a view on a card built (not completed) model, borrowed from the web

post-3445-0-09729300-1466182844_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-56517900-1466182841_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-90516100-1466182846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Geoff,

your compliment is much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

:)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

many thanks for yor compliments Kees and Nenad

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's coming along nicely.

Bob

thank you very much Bob,

the rough fitting of the aft deckhousing is done, I`ll leave it removeable (two screws holding down), until it is ready for attaching of details,  deck, docking bridge and railings for final mounting....

Nils

post-3445-0-46177300-1466270001_thumb.jpg

the 5,5 mm thick piece of ply inforcement will give secure hold for the vent-shaft borings

post-3445-0-56253600-1466270187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed