SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Nils, Great looking vents, you must see them in your sleep after making so many. :)

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

It was nice to do a little catching up, Absolutely incredible work Nils

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you so much for your kind appreciations and compliments - Bob - Albert -Nenad - Bill - Steve - and Pete,

and all those that expressed their "Likes" recently...

Bob,

I`m pleased you like the vents...

Albert,

a nice compliment, thanks very much..

Nenad,

much appreciated, thanks very much...

Bill,

sorry for the wrong term in this relation, and thanks for putting me on track again, much appreciated..

Steve,

the learn curve sets in at an early stage, this evening I made a few more bowls, and am pleased how fast they can be done now, Am still looking for some with only 10 mm diam. (found some and ordered at Ebay already, hopefuly the turn out right)

Pete,

thanks very much for your words...

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

awesome vent assembly line.........they really look good  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

thank you for your nice compliment, ...

I just received the smallest bagfeet with 9,5 mm bowl OD, and 4 mm vent tube, am removing the clips and shall probably solder 20  of them tomorrow

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

that really is a good idea........most vents I've seen have no throats........they look so fake  ;)    I've taken Billing's vents and drilled them out {of course,  after I cement them together.   I think it's great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

trust now all vents in raw, basic shape are done. There are so many, that I had to make a plan, which and how many go where...... For the length adjustments there is a bit surplus tube on every vent. The pics show the variety of sizes, tube / bowl diameters and raw lengths. The plan though is not in scale ( only to give an overview)

Some of the tubes go through the boats deck and remain visible looking on the promenade deck, some tubes will be blended behind vertical claddings on the promenade deck

Nils

post-3445-0-97126300-1474276754_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-53340200-1474276757_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Bag feet ventilators.  How ingenious...my kind of ingenuity.

Fantastic job...everything looks so awesome.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you very much Rob,

like your compliment...

yes, I`m quite pleased with the metal vents. (bowl on tube). In opposite to later liners, after WW1 the ships started to show more streamlined type vents with not so easy to model designs. I often ask myself how the builders-model makers made those, if not from rather expspensive resin cast tools and moulds

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Re vents for post WW1 liners. I have seen then made using a shaped plug which is pressed into a circular die. The vents are usually made from copper with many annealing steps to avoid work hardening and splitting. The tubes are than soldered on and the hole is cut from the inside of the tube. I am planning to have a go at this method later on in my current build....... just for the experience!

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

I'm sure glad my Pequot didn't have that many vents.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Nils

Re vents for post WW1 liners. I have seen then made using a shaped plug which is pressed into a circular die. The vents are usually made from copper with many annealing steps to avoid work hardening and splitting. The tubes are than soldered on and the hole is cut from the inside of the tube. I am planning to have a go at this method later on in my current build....... just for the experience!

Many thanks Keith,

Am very interested in the technique you describe, shall certainly be watching when you go for it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

40 deckchairs and 20 benches in scale 1:144

This is what the good looking filigrane etched build brass kits look like. Will be quite a tough soldering job to get things into the right shape I guess...., have`nt started yet...., may require some holding gig.... If they workout, its worth the effort...

Sorry for the flash reflections on the last three pics

Nils

post-3445-0-13064200-1474533276_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-58837900-1474533278_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00344100-1474533281_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-02093000-1474533283_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-67319200-1474533284_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Carl,

I have no doubts with the deck-sitting furniture, its the style of the era and looks good regardless to the ships name. Besides that I was pleased to find any at all in this scale . There were some benches in plastic (train gauge N ), but they did`nt find my approval....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I'm with you. those chairs and benches will look great on the KWdG.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks very much Bob,

yet I`m a bit anxoius to start the soldering of those tiny, thin parts. In this case even a drop of solder would be too much, I am thinking of using tiny portions of soft solder paste (flux already mixed by) in scarce limited dosis aplication. I remember using this once for gas tourch soldering 0,4 mm brass railing wire to stanchions on the "Heinrich Kayser" steamer model. Will do some trials first....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I'm sure you will do a fine job, my friend.

Bob

Nils,

Presently I'm building a 1:72 Fokker Dr I, mainly brass. Everything is glued with CA. You can forget soldering, you'll ruin your parts, far to fragile.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

thanks for your kind comment...., I´ve been thinking of that alternative in using CA as well, in fact the manufacturer of these parts recommends the use of super glue..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I'd recommend  CA  also. You'd just be going round in circles trying to solder and resolder joints However you should be able to find a 12 watt soldering iron online. Used for soldering tiny LEDS. Things would need to be jigged up to hold while soldering which you probably know already.   Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks Bill,

much appreciated your suggestion,   ;) 

think I´ll sacrifice one of the etched parts for trials, if I should loose confedence, the CA stands ready anyhow...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much John,

your compliment is much appreciated, and I saw you were catching up with the build log, thanks for looking in.

Today I assembled one of those benches ( fiddely stuff I must say !  ), but I think its acceptable with a bit more routine it will do.... Trust Bill and Carl were right with their recommendation to avoid soldering (thanks again Bill and Carl) , The CA connection of parts is strong enough for this.

Also thanks to those for all the " likes"

Nils

post-3445-0-91891700-1474642149_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-97011500-1474642151_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-88317200-1474741430_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-53380200-1474741433_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-57583600-1474742245_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

There are no frontiers for you, Nils !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Many thanks Johann and Nenad,

for your nice and appreciated words....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What a lovely little bench.

Bob