SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Beautiful decking.  You make all of it look so real. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks Carl, Patrick, Ed and Bob,

for your well appreciated compliments, glad you like the update....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful work, Nils.  As always.

Coincidentally I run into some historical references to the Grosse which might be of interest:

April,1897

"The world was growing more chaotic and speeding up. Rudyard Kipling could be spotted in his six-horsepower motorcar thundering around at fifteen miles an hour. The race among the great shipping companies to see whose liners could cross the Atlantic in the shortest time intensified and grew more and more costly as the size and speed of each ship increased and as the rivalry between British and German lines became freighted with an ever-heavier cargo of national pride. In April 1897 at the Vulcan shipyard in Stettin, Germany, thousands of workers raced to prepare the largest, grandest, fastest oceanliner yet for its launch on May 4, when it would join the stable of ships owned by North German Lloyd Line. Everything about this new liner breathed Germany’s aspiration to become a world power, especially its name, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, and its decor, which featured life-size portraits of its namesake and of Bismarck and Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke. The launch was to be overseen by Kaiser Wilhelm II himself."

"Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson, Broadway Books, 2006"

I am reading your entire log from page one to get an idea of what's involved in building this type of ship from scratch.  It is definitely a project beyond my capabilities ... but maybe one day   :) ,

nice progress Nils.....deck and vents look great ;)  nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work, Nils.  As always.

Coincidentally I run into some historical references to the Grosse which might be of interest:

April,1897

"The world was growing more chaotic and speeding up. Rudyard Kipling could be spotted in his six-horsepower motorcar thundering around at fifteen miles an hour. The race among the great shipping companies to see whose liners could cross the Atlantic in the shortest time intensified and grew more and more costly as the size and speed of each ship increased and as the rivalry between British and German lines became freighted with an ever-heavier cargo of national pride. In April 1897 at the Vulcan shipyard in Stettin, Germany, thousands of workers raced to prepare the largest, grandest, fastest oceanliner yet for its launch on May 4, when it would join the stable of ships owned by North German Lloyd Line. Everything about this new liner breathed Germany’s aspiration to become a world power, especially its name, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, and its decor, which featured life-size portraits of its namesake and of Bismarck and Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke. The launch was to be overseen by Kaiser Wilhelm II himself."

"Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson, Broadway Books, 2006"

I am reading your entire log from page one to get an idea of what's involved in building this type of ship from scratch.  It is definitely a project beyond my capabilities ... but maybe one day   :) ,

Hervie,

thank you for your interest in the KWdG, and for your compliment.

As I mentioned in the introduction to this build, I was also fascinated by this liner built way back in 1897, and somewhat amazed to see one day that there was a card model for experienced model card-builders. I unfortunately do`nt have the steady hands and the patience to build a card model myself in this category, but one day had the idea to see if it would be possible, (amoungst other information) to scratch-build a model in a larger scale, and then the project was born and under steam. Problem was that the card model set for comparism was completely sold out, and it took me some months to finaly search and detect an used (but unbuilt) edition via Ebay

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

nice progress Nils.....deck and vents look great ;)  nice!

Thank you very much Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lovely work Nils. The focus and attention you put into your work is enviable.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

A veritable forest of ventilators!  They look great. The numbers of them alone would put off the less brave, Nils!

Thank you Druxey,

the fact that there are 7 sizes of vents and individual numbers that provide a little variation in the mass production...., but still in total 87 vents

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Dan and Michael,

thanks so much for your nice compliments, much appreciated..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

First saw this build when it was in its inception and followed it through the Propellor builds, Have not re-visited untill today, when I read the complete build log in one session, some 5 to 6 hours. I can say is that it is simply "amazing". The solutions to problematic areas are ingeneous the mind simply bogels. Would love to be able to achieve the same skill set that you regularly demonstrate, by the kind of work that you post on your build log.

Another little known historical fact:  When Orville and his sister Katherine Wright sailed to France to join their brother Wilbur who had been in negotiations with the French government for the sale of the Wright brothers "flyer" in early 1909, they sailed on the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse.  Sorry, but the plane went over earlier with Wilbur on the Campania.

Ed

First saw this build when it was in its inception and followed it through the Propellor builds, Have not re-visited untill today, when I read the complete build log in one session, some 5 to 6 hours. I can say is that it is simply "amazing". The solutions to problematic areas are ingeneous the mind simply bogels. Would love to be able to achieve the same skill set that you regularly demonstrate, by the kind of work that you post on your build log.

Hi Rpeteru,

thanks for looking in again and hope you liked the progress inbetween. Also thanks for your nice compliment, you`re very welcome....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Ed,

for your feedback and input, love those little episodes, wish I had some more historic pictures (old photographs or so...)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

update...

been building the two bases for the machine-room skylights, above the engine room shaft, that bear each six ventilation skylight housings with again each 6 panel flaps. So that will be in total 36 opening flaps with each 4 round light openings  ( 36 flaps x 4 = 144 "portholes")

This surely will take some time from now on.

The flaps will be made from 8 mm wide brass strip, and the "portholes" like I usualy do it...

Nils

post-3445-0-22584700-1476378402.jpg

sample of this detail borrowed of a card build model from the web.....

post-3445-0-01859200-1476377729_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-27649200-1476377745_thumb.jpg

trying for the right hole pattern (4 holes) per panel.

The upper 4 ones look OK.

The hole-frames are made from shortend hollow rivets and soldered on to the panel

post-3445-0-09842500-1476377755_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-59238000-1476377765_thumb.jpg

The green tape is for preventing the bottom ventshaft rings to slip off and get lost

post-3445-0-74155500-1476442238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Carl,

just like the vents production this again will be a mass production.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Happy Birthday Niles

Thank you fo your kind greetings Don,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Dear Nils,

Happy birthday !

Thank you very much Slava,

very kind of you

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Pawel

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Happy Birthday Nils and good to see the Brass Meister is back at it!

Blessings on your day*

Jeff,

thanks for your kind greetings...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hey Nils

A very happy Birthday to you

Cheers

Please

Thanks very much Patrick

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic  Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

peter