Mirabell61

SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Hi Niles

Amazing details that seam to come so easy to you, Just when I believe that there is no more room left you find another great detail to add to your great build,                                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

thank you for your nice words, I`m meanwhile still at the boats deck and doing the coamings for the superstructure it`s planking with pencil caulking at the edges, on 2 mm wide 0.6 mm thick srtips

Nils

post-3445-0-35101200-1476175318_thumb.jpg

The hights of the vents, above deck, still need to be adjusted later on

post-3445-0-98731600-1476175321_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-90023500-1476175338_thumb.jpg

The three aft winches will be in approximately these positions

post-3445-0-54400900-1476175341_thumb.jpg

here planking of the aft boats deck has taken place ( no fairing done to it yet )

Edited by Mirabell61

Many thanks Nenad and Carl,

and all the "likes", very much appreciated

Nenad,

I`ll be very pleased if there is something wich may be motivating for your CS model fitting out, but you do have so many own good idias I like very much.....

Carl,

exactly, the footring will prevent the slipping down of the tube, after adjusting the hight, the close fitting ring will be secured with a small drop of thin viscos CA. Upwards it needs no limitation, and still the scoops can be turned to the wind, or out of the wind in "suction mode"....

Nils

Beautiful work, Nils.  As always.

Coincidentally I run into some historical references to the Grosse which might be of interest:

April,1897

"The world was growing more chaotic and speeding up. Rudyard Kipling could be spotted in his six-horsepower motorcar thundering around at fifteen miles an hour. The race among the great shipping companies to see whose liners could cross the Atlantic in the shortest time intensified and grew more and more costly as the size and speed of each ship increased and as the rivalry between British and German lines became freighted with an ever-heavier cargo of national pride. In April 1897 at the Vulcan shipyard in Stettin, Germany, thousands of workers raced to prepare the largest, grandest, fastest oceanliner yet for its launch on May 4, when it would join the stable of ships owned by North German Lloyd Line. Everything about this new liner breathed Germany’s aspiration to become a world power, especially its name, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, and its decor, which featured life-size portraits of its namesake and of Bismarck and Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke. The launch was to be overseen by Kaiser Wilhelm II himself."

"Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson, Broadway Books, 2006"

I am reading your entire log from page one to get an idea of what's involved in building this type of ship from scratch.  It is definitely a project beyond my capabilities ... but maybe one day   :) ,

Beautiful work, Nils.  As always.

Coincidentally I run into some historical references to the Grosse which might be of interest:

April,1897

"The world was growing more chaotic and speeding up. Rudyard Kipling could be spotted in his six-horsepower motorcar thundering around at fifteen miles an hour. The race among the great shipping companies to see whose liners could cross the Atlantic in the shortest time intensified and grew more and more costly as the size and speed of each ship increased and as the rivalry between British and German lines became freighted with an ever-heavier cargo of national pride. In April 1897 at the Vulcan shipyard in Stettin, Germany, thousands of workers raced to prepare the largest, grandest, fastest oceanliner yet for its launch on May 4, when it would join the stable of ships owned by North German Lloyd Line. Everything about this new liner breathed Germany’s aspiration to become a world power, especially its name, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, and its decor, which featured life-size portraits of its namesake and of Bismarck and Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke. The launch was to be overseen by Kaiser Wilhelm II himself."

"Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson, Broadway Books, 2006"

I am reading your entire log from page one to get an idea of what's involved in building this type of ship from scratch.  It is definitely a project beyond my capabilities ... but maybe one day   :) ,

Hervie,

thank you for your interest in the KWdG, and for your compliment.

As I mentioned in the introduction to this build, I was also fascinated by this liner built way back in 1897, and somewhat amazed to see one day that there was a card model for experienced model card-builders. I unfortunately do`nt have the steady hands and the patience to build a card model myself in this category, but one day had the idea to see if it would be possible, (amoungst other information) to scratch-build a model in a larger scale, and then the project was born and under steam. Problem was that the card model set for comparism was completely sold out, and it took me some months to finaly search and detect an used (but unbuilt) edition via Ebay

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

A veritable forest of ventilators!  They look great. The numbers of them alone would put off the less brave, Nils!

Thank you Druxey,

the fact that there are 7 sizes of vents and individual numbers that provide a little variation in the mass production...., but still in total 87 vents

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61