SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

I find the absence of pictures on less notable ships.........but on the other hand I've experienced it with famous ships too.   what you've done so far Nils is beyond words.  the structures,  the vents,  the railings,  are so very well done.   combined on one deck........or three,  and it becomes a world all it's own!

wonderful work Nils!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work Nils. I'm always amazed how small some of these things are when pictured with a hand or other object that is a recognizable size. When you mention wood and steel combined on ships, I think  back to the ship I served on during my navy days from 1957-1961. It was a 10,000 ton 500 ft. long freighter/refrigerator ship built in 1945 and I can't remember ever seeing a single piece of wood on it, except for cargo pallets of course. Quite different than the ferries and ships here in Norway where wood is always present.

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Thank you very much Denis and MIke,

for your nice comments, and compliments.....

Denis,

the deck plans and information I gathered do not always show details exatcly so here and there I have to improvise a bit....

Mike,

the wooden partial structures on riveted iron ships (we`re talking about the year 1897) may still have had their origional design from the periods sailing ships and other old steamers.

Trust the scale 1:144 is the minimal size I would be willing and capable to build in, would rather choose 1:100 or 1:96 but in this case the model would tturn out too large with 2 meters length

also thanks to all the "likes"....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Nils

Sorry that I haven't been in contact with you for long time. I had a few family's crisis and hadn't ad much time to do any postings.

Mate, you have done and incredible job and my eyes were picking from my head with amazement as I was going through your log.

Well done memitting!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Greg,

nice to hear from you, and that  you are posting again, thanks for your nice compliment....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you very much Igor,

I`m pleased you like the recent progress....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work Nils, She is really coming together Wow

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Beautiful work Nils, She is really coming together Wow

Best Regards,

Pete 

Many thanks Pete,

for your words, its still a long way to go, but fun to see it grow wih steady progress in small steps...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils, doing a very good job, I really like I congratulate you.

A hug Liberto

Liberto,

thank you for your kind compliment, much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

it seems that this platform on the actual ship is deck-planked, but comprises no railing around it and not even an access ladder or stair to get on it. Presume it was for crew only, but still I think there should at least be a little ladder mounted, because the skylight windows as well as the small deck will have to be cleaned now and then. If I`m wrong, please let me know... So now I spent a litte improvised access-ladder which can be reached through the middle passage between the machineroom skylights (for crew only !)

The stairways to the lower deck are fitted and one can be seen through the open door of the starboard side companionway.

When grinding work is done in the workshop, the model is dust-protected by a light plastic foil that is held up by the two masts

Nils

post-3445-0-64394300-1478871415_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45425900-1478871417_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47388100-1478871408_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73137300-1478871411_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-14554700-1478871414_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- Fantastic!  I have to think that it's a good thing this ship is so enormous, with all the detail you're putting into it, you'd run out of room on anything smaller!!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

thanks for your words Martin,

and for looking in, its always a pleasure to read your comments....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

it seems that this platform on the actual ship is deck-planked, but comprises no railing around it and not even an access ladder or stair to get on it. Presume it was for crew only, but still I think there should at least be a little ladder mounted, because the skylight windows as well as the small deck will have to be cleaned now and then. If I`m wrong, please let me know... So now I spent a litte improvised access-ladder which can be reached through the middle passage between the machineroom skylights (for crew only !)

I ran into the same thing on the Pequot.  There was a deck that the sailors had to get to but in the drawings and all the pictures I could not find any  means of access. 

I think the little ladder you add looks fine.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I ran into the same thing on the Pequot.  There was a deck that the sailors had to get to but in the drawings and all the pictures I could not find any  means of access. 

I think the little ladder you add looks fine.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Ilike your confirmation on that....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

one would thing there would be a railing around it...........agree also on the ladder,  since there is no access even from inside the structure.  good idea on the covering........I cover  all my projects I'm not working on.  it definitely does cut down on the dust factor  ;)      considering where you have the ladder,  in photos it might not be seen,  unless they paid attention to it  ;)

very nice!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Denis,

one day perhaps that riddle, ladder on the actual ship or not might be solved by someones photo.... :rolleyes:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Albert,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Once in a while I have to stop the silent admiring and tell you once again: simply fantastic work! :stunned:

Just a question concerning that questionable but fantastic crew ladder: It seems a 'de luxe' solution just 'for crew only' (but I appreciate your care for the common crewman). Do you think they still could also have used simple steps mounted on the side of that wall, similar to the entry steps on the side of a 18th century sail ship?

Cheers

peter

Peter,

Thank you very much, yes "de luxe" version is is the right comment, I just could`nt stand that the crew would have to climb on that platform like the monkeys on the rock, although they probably did so, as I understand from the missing access on the actual ship. Tadeus showed us in his beautiful  "La Salamandre" log, post # 574 how simple a ladder can be..... ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

What a astonishing gem Tadeus is making! That 'totem pole ladder' would however be too old fashioned for your steamer. No I was thinking more of something like the boarding steps on your Pegasus but constructed as metal rungs in form of individual hoops which serve as step and handheld as well.

Cheers

peter

Hi Nils

What a astonishing gem Tadeus is making! That 'totem pole ladder' would however be too old fashioned for your steamer. No I was thinking more of something like the boarding steps on your Pegasus but constructed as metal rungs in form of individual hoops which serve as step and handheld as well.

Cheers

peter

rethinking it from afterwards you are  right Peter,

that thought just did`nt come to my mind at that time, was thinking too much not to forget handrails for safety reasons.... B)

Your comment of corse was understood well, right the first time..., thanks again...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Update :

Build log part 50....

I`ve taken down all the boatsdeck, the dry fitting and vents, etc, in order to prepare for the permanent mounting of the aft boatsdeck half. But first there must be some fitting out to the promenade-deck-after-half portion like....

- fitting the mahogany handrail to the long railing

- mounting the 6 anchors on each side for the aft mast shrouds and backstays (they will go upwards through the boats deck in twelve places whilst the boats deck is glued on to the brass framework and the deckhousings below. Also the holes for the vent tubes and the aft mast that go through the deck have to be brought in alignment. Trust that all will be quite a tricky moment, hope it will go well and like it was intended.

- All the figurines on the aft half of the promenade deck must also be placed before the boatsdeck goes on (otherwise no access later !)

The little red tape markings on the outside frame are for showing where to put on the clamps when glueing the deck down...

Nils

post-3445-0-20910000-1479987787_thumb.jpg

Mahagony handrail all around. Red little tape markers, where to put on the clamps

post-3445-0-91633700-1479987800_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-15970100-1479987803_thumb.jpg

10 of the 20 benches (scale 1:144) go on to the total promenade deck

post-3445-0-93381400-1479987818_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-89139300-1479987827_thumb.jpg

the blackened anchors go through the boatsdeck when it is on and are for fastening the aft mast`s buckle screws of the shrouds and backstays

post-3445-0-74166900-1479987867_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32773200-1479987886_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25316000-1479987901_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-53375300-1479987926_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-57190300-1479987937_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

awesome progress Nils..........fantastic workmanship!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: