Mirabell61

SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Many thanks Bob and Bill,

there are probably quite a lot of valuable "know hows" in relation with model aircraft building, especially those made in the good old way with all the framework and shrink-span tissue coating.....

Nils

thanks Denis,

so that solved the riddle of the railing shape,.... ^_^  :)

Think I´ll go for the aft mast loading beams and the masts  rigging next, also for the aft anchor chain guide devices and the appropriate winch, and the flag post

Nils

Update....

aft mast, the two load beams (connected to mast) and the two stand alone load beams, flag post....

Nils

post-3445-0-29113300-1480950631_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43087900-1480950636_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-06849900-1480950634_thumb.jpg

mast with most of the fastening points for rigg and blocks and belaying pins, the beams are still unpainted

post-3445-0-45662500-1481024073_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-38650100-1481024076_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47562300-1481024078_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Update...

companionways from boatsdeck down to promenade deck. Here the port side is weather locked, whilst the stb side gives way to the stair leading down

Nils

post-3445-0-96333200-1481125037_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-08975700-1481125065_thumb.jpg

due to the design (flap back top) it is not necessary to have full standing hight, and also as the stair immediatey leads downwards. Here the "hinges" on the lid are not mounted yet

post-3445-0-73541700-1481125067_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63194000-1481125069_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47573500-1481125071_thumb.jpg

Looks great Nils, I am definitely gaining a new respect for these ships that you build and the level of detail that you add.

Before you know it, you'll be fitting the last piece and settling her into her display case.

Yes and he might be done before I have finished fixing a few divets on the Albertic.

Michael

Wonderful job Nils!  I hadn't checked in on your build log in quite a while.  It's wonderful to see how far your model has come.  How much more is left before you're finished?   It won't be too long before we are asking you what your next project will be.

Tom

many thanks to Michael - Keith - Johann - Albert - Jeff - John - Carl - Tom,

for all your compliments and comments...

and also to all the "likes" for clicking in...

Michael,

still so much to do, when I think ahead of all the filigrane structures along with the command bridge and the related decks, stairways, platforms, boats and railings

Keith,

for level of detail I stop when the tiny parts are getting of too thin stucture, for example the railing in scale 1:144 is about bottom limit... and very sensitive to destortion at every touch

Johann,

thanks fpor your nice comment

Albert,

thanks very much, I`m trying to implement some pf the typical, characteristic details of this ship, such like with the plating and the props, and decore

Jeff,

Thanks for your nice comment

John,

yes, I thought it would be interesting to present both versions

Carl,

I saw this question arising since I posted that update, ..... but they are are lucky to have Sven, the donkey-man, and his assistant amoungst the deck crew, he manages to play his steam winches and load beams like others play piano. It takes him 5 min. for carefully opening / closing the companionway tops, without crushing his fingers (closing only if bad weather is expected)

Tom,

thanks for your nice compliment....

still too early to plan the next project, there is still so much to do with this one....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

G'day Nils

Spent the last 3 days going through your last 20 or so pages again. The only thing that I can add to the comments is 'ditto to everyone'. AMAZING IN EVERY ASPECT.

I am so glad that you keep on saying 1:144 scale., because it's very easy to forget what is the scale that you are working in because all the details etc that you do. It could be easy 1:64 or even 1:32 scale.

Sorry that I've been slack for not getting back to you earlier, I'm so buggered and my 'get up and go' has 'got up and went'.

Well mate Havagooday

Greg