Byrnes Saw Auction - See in Naut General Discussion ×
Mirabell61

SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

Hi Jan,

...to find someone who went overboard from a fast moving ship and who perhaps had luck to get hold of a thrown out white colored  lifebuoy , is like searching for the needle in the haystack in upset waves with with breaking white foam crowns. The lookouts could not make them out by the time the ship has turned  for search, or stopped and a search boat has been set to water. there is a better chance with safety colors. Can hardly believe that "White Star Line" and "Cunard" used white colored life buoys

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Many thanks Bob, Grant and Piet,....

also thanks to the "likes" for clicking on ...

Bob,

it hapens now and then that the result of a few hours work is disapproved and scrapped, decision do it again, and then the realizing, ran out of appropriate semi-material....., so order new and wait for little parcel to come by post...

Grant,

agree, its quite a tough scale, but due to the chosen total length of the model ( 1380 mm ) I could`nt do it in 1:100 it would been 2 Meters long !

I know that feeeling in the fingers....

do you perhaps have something in mind as well (not riped out yet) ?

Nils

Well, Nils, I'm still not even half way with my Dutch VOC ship Surabaya and am planning a 1:3000 sacle Young America and a recently acquired styrene model of the Dutch submarine O16.  Just been too busy with "stuff." 

In the meantime I just come and visit all my friends here.  Your ship is coming along real nice.

Cheers,

Well, Nils, I'm still not even half way with my Dutch VOC ship Surabaya and am planning a 1:3000 sacle Young America and a recently acquired styrene model of the Dutch submarine O16.  Just been too busy with "stuff." 

In the meantime I just come and visit all my friends here.  Your ship is coming along real nice.

Cheers,

Thanks Piet,

wow scale 1:3000, (micro Cosmos !! ), I thought 1: 1250 is midget already

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Update...

still working on the forward boats deck and lower bridge section. There is also a lot of deck-planking involved. The little platforms above the stairs coming up from the promenade deck, are the bases for the upper stairs that go to the bridge level (not shown here yet).

Actions that lay ahead : Its also time to think of how to install and fasten the four stacks with appr. 10 ° angle. Have already ordered a 25 mm twist-Auger type wood-drill, in order to make holes for a short 25 mm glued in dowel  to slip the brass stack tubes (26 x 0,5 mm ) on to.

Nils

post-3445-0-92712500-1484218820_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00699600-1484218824_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-68215300-1484218825_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-95931700-1484218829_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-94207000-1484218840_thumb.jpg

the joint area will be planked after the deck is permanently glued on

post-3445-0-15407700-1484218839_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47676400-1484218837_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45380100-1484218835_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93976700-1484218832_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80466600-1484218827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Hi Niles

Catching up on your very fine build log on your liner, you sure are doing a splendid job on her. I just love your Companion Way Ladders they fit right in there perfectly.  Your Running lights are very well done and sure do look good along with that splendid deck planking job that you are doing. She surely will be a Museum Piece and you must be very proud of her.                  ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you so much Rob and Lawrence,

for your nice compliments....

Also many thanks to all the "likes"....

Rob,

I`m very pleased that there are so many different brass profiles available at my sources, so that these are welcome to be combined with the wooden structures. Also since the use of CA is so common, the glueing of different materials has become relatively easy. I also was able meantime to gain quite some experience with the soft soldering technique

Lawrence,

I am pleased with the results so far, although now and then I get stuck up a bit in order to find the produceability solution, or an alternative thereto

Nils

I fully appreciate your intuitiveness in seeing the possibilities within common items that you incorporate into your build.  It is not a common thing, for some modelers to be able to *see into* something and envision making it into something else...something needed for your ship.  Fabrication of parts on an assembly line like fashion is a hard pressed skill....achieved only over time.  You exhibit much skill in this.

Experimentation coupled with an acute skill set and dextral ability is (IMV) a hallmark of a seasoned builder. 

I've enjoyed your build log and the adventure you have taken us on.

Rob

G'day Nils

It has all been said before me........ so all I can say is ditto and echo everyone's entries.

My grandfather gave me his old bit and brace auger bit set. It must be 65 years old, but as good as it was only made yesterday! It comes in a wooden case with 9 bits ranging from 1/8" to 1 3/4". It's a beautiful set, but I don't need the brace head now, so I cut it off with my angle grinder and use them in my variable speed battery opperate drill.

Hasn't time change?

Well mate

Havagooday

Greg

Thank you Rob, Patrick and Greg,

for your words......

Rob,

thanks for your nice compliment and for looking into the other build logs....

Patrick,

thats a very nice compliment, much appreciated, many thanks

Greg,

am pleased you like the progress, thanks for your appreciation.....

I received my new 25 mm Auger bit, which was spanned in my electric drilling machine, at lowest possible speed and test drilled in a piece of scrap wood..

Wow !, had to hold the machine very tightly, due to the resulting enormous torque. Looks like it will require a firm holding jig for srewing down, and to span the machine in the drilling stand. It gives quite a rough cut, when drilling at appr. 10° angle to the vertical line 

Also thanks to all the "Likes"

Nils

Hi Patrick and Bob,...

Patrick,

I do hope to get smoother cuts once I gain a little experience with that drill, and you`re right, most of the connection vanishes when the funnel and the surroundings go in place

Bob,

yes, I also was a bit anxious to operate that monster drill, but I shall avoid to drill any wooden plate that is already fixed to the ship

Nils

A correction for my deleted post. For 25 mm I would go with a forstner bit too. Drill slowly until you see or feel the point come through then drill from the other side using the hole left by the point as a guide. The forstner will give a very clean hole because of its cutting edges at the circumference. 

Hi Druxey and Bill,

thank you both so much for your kind input reccomending ways for getting a cleaner 25 mm hole cut....   :)   ;)

Druxey,

I am familiar with the Forstner drill and did achieve super clean, smooth and precise socket holes for mounting hinged furniture doors, they had even larger diameter, thought they would not go down to 25 mm but also these are available (looked it up after reading your post....). 

Bill,

I know the Brad point tools, in fact I use these myself for drilling in wood, for example when doing the holes for the vent tubes (good results so far)

Before reading both your kind advices I had also ( another alternative) ordered a 25 mm drilling crown for wood which is equiped with a centering drill.

Trust that the Auger drill bit shall land somewhere deep in the wardrobe....

Cheers , Nils

Edited by Mirabell61