SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

13 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Nils...I pray my suggestion was not accepted as a criticism of your example.  You are doing magnificent as usual.  What I did on my version is to glue rope to the ends of each canvas reef point(Not run it through) then tie them off with the opposing line.  One example was to glue wore loops to the canvas through which the line passed.

Many ways to skin this cat...you'll find what works best for you.  I just suggested the tape because of ease of use and its similar look as the real thing.

Good luck.

Rob 

Thanks Rob,

no worry , I do`nt and never take any suggestions by fellow members as criticism, I am so thankful and much appreciate all inputs as this enriches this forum and makes it so interesting.

Do you perhaps have a pic of the "wore loops" and glued rope ends you mentioned ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Unfortunately I do not...but if you look at it this way.......once the tape tarp is made..you then glue small eyelets to each canvas strap...then use these to pass line through.  At this scale..you could even simply glue the ropes to the end of the straps...paint the joint brown or black and then tie off the rope leads to the opposing rope lead.  Not much tension is applied to the canvas strap because it is tape and simply laying the rope under the boat hull with mild tension works.

The idea looks similar to your own example...but the ropes do not pass through the straps and the tarp looks and fits more like real tarps.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I hope you see the process I'm trying to describe.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Nils revisiting this section regarding the covers on the lifeboats. My question relates to the top surface, is the canvas cover supported along the centreline of the lifeboat by a spar or some other element, and would there be a slight sagging like a tent with the lacing pulling the cover tight to keep water from pooling on the top? If this is the case perhaps some fine fabric stiffened up with sizing or glue laid over a thin dowel (toothpick or brass rod) give the desired effect?

Just a thought.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Many thanks Rob and Michael,

for your input on the boat covers and your kind comments and suggestions....

Rob,

I think I understand how you meant the process you are explaining.....

Unfortunately I did`nt find the detail "boat cover" on heritage lifeboats on the web yet.... Trust I have to start with fabrication of the boat hulls first, when I received the forming silicone and the resin for casting....

Michael,

I think there is some kind of support element along the centerline, probably a spar, or a tight spaned rope, also there is a connection line between the davits upper points, from which short strap lines could hold the canvas cover up. That is the way I usualy covered my dinghi cockpit when at the bouy mooring, or on the trailor over winter, to prevent sagging by rain and snow. In KWdG boats application I have wooden support cover under the "canvas" for shaping reasons. (last pic of my post #2332 ) I would be pleased if someone has a pic or two showing this detail on the actual ship better than the enclosed pic borrowed from the web...

Nils

5909ef7dbda38_images3.jpg.f93b2d4144af91bf63d00daeb84b7280.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I've made boat cover before,  using the method your going to try out.......works reasonably well.   lacing the ropes isn't too much of a problem either.    looks like your reaching the finish line ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

59 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've made boat cover before,  using the method your going to try out.......works reasonably well.   lacing the ropes isn't too much of a problem either.    looks like your reaching the finish line ;) 

Thank you very much Denis,

I just received the two-component silicone for making the first mold for one of the boat halves. I`m waiting for the silicone to cure and to see if the seperation wax worked well.

I`ll post some pics of the process later on

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Not sure if you discussed this earlier Nils..but if you are going to cast the boats..are you casting them hull and cover as one?  A split mold?  If so..I have lots of experience in this..being a certified dental laboratory tech(In my past life).

Any questions just let me know......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Rob,

wow, nice to hear that you have dental laboratory experience (making and working also with silicone molds, etc... ? )

Yes, for the closed boats I`m intending to cast hull and (underneath) cover in one., whereby the boat will be in two halves, port and stb.. These will be fine faired and port and stb half glued together afterwards.

For the open boats I wanted to cut away the inner portion of the cast on dummy cover, so only a handrail around the boat remains standing. For the bouyancy tanks, the seatings and the inner bulwark structure I want to make a wooden plug comprising the later. The plug will be used to hang it into the same negative silicone mold as for the closed boats during the resin-casting.

I will prepare some pics of the whole procedure later on...

It will still take some time and "learning curve experience" to start with the open boats.....

When the casting procedure turns out OK, I`ll put on the "girlande" looking grab ropes around the boat outside, and lash on the canvas covers to the closed boats.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Short excursion to Hamburg Harbour...

Some 50 Km from my home..

Yesterday evening my wife and I had an invitation to take a river trip with the live museum steamer and steamship-icebreaker, (built 1933) "Stettin" on the Elbe river. This weekend was the 828 th Hamburg harbour aniversary, and the ride went from 21:00 to midnight. It was rounded off with a beautiful firework over the harbour, and to be watched from board  the ship. The selfmade pics I would like to share with MSW fellow members in two parts....

Nils

Part 1

DSCI5047.thumb.JPG.c0a3baac325cc1b89431ada8976f3e1a.JPG

Maritime museum pier at Övelgönne for traditional ships and work boats, (Elbe river

DSCI5049.thumb.JPG.f4ffdf382c4e3fd558382e53158cb10a.JPG

This is the stem powered icebreaker "Stettin" at the river mooring ponton

DSCI5051.thumb.JPG.b3c68d8254b3920a1fd79aa955379d77.JPG

The "Aida Prima" cruise ship passes by

DSCI5052.thumb.JPG.022a722d87b7ecf6589dd38527c193e9.JPG

The ship hull, all structures and interior make a very good impression

DSCI5120.thumb.JPG.6ce56f817b065be021480fbc3f0656f1.JPG

DSCI5053.thumb.JPG.4428f77de6d739a4383c6ec1efd2d440.JPG

Bridge

DSCI5055.thumb.JPG.958ed7936f4a99090385671d6c279786.JPG

Machine telegraph

DSCI5058.thumb.JPG.242bb81aeff026cf2603caeb2793880f.JPG

I had the chance to be down in the engine- and firing room at the boiler furnaces during departure. The sight of the steam engine at work, the reciprocating piston rods, crossheads and cam levers in live action was just amazing and wonderful. The orders for the machine control came down per machine telegraph, the accompaning "ring, ring" 

was continuosly heard in the background

DSCI5059.thumb.JPG.693fd9533796110651c82c58c7d24d54.JPG

Bridge wheelstand with rudder position indicator and compass

DSCI5060.thumb.JPG.f56e76d9e45ab24e93a978f8e35a85c0.JPG

Other side of the river was the container terminal, and during the ride many types of sailships were busy on the stream....

to be followed by part 2....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Part 2

DSCI5061.thumb.JPG.7cf72a443462e745135a596bbb155299.JPG

most of the ships carried guests

DSCI5062.thumb.JPG.2bf2ca90e602a4c1def333ea474a7f7d.JPG

Original steam winch

DSCI5063.thumb.JPG.90f60a49d397ee14ef07bce067a4a01e.JPG

entering the machine room, here the tripple expansion steam engine cylinder covers (2200 Psi)

DSCI5064.thumb.JPG.37570a935abe11a9358841035d709ef0.JPG

machine control stand

DSCI5067.thumb.JPG.2dd3e8f98a2b6ff39eeb82438954347c.JPG

a look into the crankrod section

DSCI5069.thumb.JPG.ca411a32930c9e5867a974359d27817c.JPG

DSCI5075.thumb.JPG.f81175241019afcd193214d63cd252c7.JPG

the machine telegraph receiver gave orders every few minutes, was continuiously in action, here a young lady is driving the engine

DSCI5077.thumb.JPG.7ea8a88c7d274c9900b2f2bef5e374df.JPG

DSCI5116.thumb.JPG.a44a64571906d5b92f7375e2386eb02f.JPG

round about midnight, a shot at the bridge deckhouse

DSCI5117.thumb.JPG.ac318530067f2a502a8198de1efec14b.JPG

and finaly arrival back to the point of departure at 01:30 past midnight

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

What a marvelous experience you both and thank you for sharing this us. 

It must have been a big and tiresome day for you both. But I bet you thought all your Christmas has came at once. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Many thanks Greg and Igor,

for your kind comments....

Greg,

yes, I was very pleased especialy to stand next to the men in the boiler room shoveling coal into the furnaces, and also to watch the engine crew obeying the machine telegraph, reversing the engine (mighty "Stephenson reverse device") at work

Igor,

am pleased you liked the Photos......

I tried in vain to add some videos, but they were much too big for posting (appr. 30 - 60 MB)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update :

further with boats production.......

It is my first attempt to make parts in silicone molds and to cast them out in polyurethan resin.

I`m quite satisfied with the result so far, and pleased that it worked out so easy....

Here a little documentation to share of the procedure (to whom it may concern)

Nils

DSCI5022.thumb.JPG.3f472f0bad6a85db7d953132576df5a5.JPG

making the boxes for the silicon molds, comprising baseplate and side walls

DSCI5026.thumb.JPG.36da2852ca7b962adebe0ea0b9426d83.JPG

positioning the master model (halfside by halfside) into the box frame, holding it in place with a simple but adjustable support device

DSCI5027.thumb.JPG.ff6bcc10b481befb9d83714e274f9168.JPG

checking the horizontal centerline position....

DSCI5034.thumb.JPG.278587cf7c19232cc81bf5f6dd55fe08.JPG

two component silicone mixing relation 1:1, for the mold

DSCI5035.thumb.JPG.23641e2345580c8ad56ebb1304b9cdbe.JPG

seperating wax for the mold

DSCI5043.thumb.JPG.9a1020559da7d782f18943097e5740c9.JPG

the first mold half in silicon, the master inserted slightly more (0,5 mm)  than half deep

DSCI5038.thumb.JPG.7432b40dc09f2190f893b56034193691.JPG

removal of the master half..., the lapstrake structure and even the fender-rope mold out well and precise

DSCI5127.thumb.JPG.cdfcb32191e9e2e98dba5a66f2e170ee.JPG

two components othe polyurethan resin and its catyliser (mix 1:1)

DSCI5123.thumb.JPG.1eaf5d58883bde69e8619ce4100dfffe.JPG

casting three halves at a time. The activated polyurethan resin has a working time of appr 2-3 minutes after mixing the two components together, before it starts to polmerisate and to turn to white coler as it does so

DSCI5124.thumb.JPG.e2e90256dfef7a26afa4fd6d63cc33f2.JPG

the result of the first attemt to cast the boat halves, now ready for fairing, trimming.

The activated resin batches (every batch at a time) is measured for 5-6 boat halves

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

Your first result in cloning the life boats looks like a huge success! Congratulations on this important step for you and may all the other 'babies' come out as the first.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

7 hours ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

Your first result in cloning the life boats looks like a huge success! Congratulations on this important step for you and may all the other 'babies' come out as the first.

Havagooday 

Greg 

Thank you Greg,

for your nice words and that compliment...

there is really a mass production of boat halves going on right now, the first boat (halves) are glued together....

Nils

DSCI5129.thumb.JPG.9366454f2d0c33d7c3d04004c035bc56.JPG

first boat "cloned" (next to the master boat)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Mass production started. Looks very impressive, Nils. Not much to correct as far as I can see from this side. It's stunning to see how much detail you can preserve with this method of replication. Wonderful work!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Nils, first of all, much thanks for a wonderful tour around the Hamburg harbor. The engine room brought back memories. I started my technical career as ship's machinist before switching to aircraft. I'm quite familiar with the old steam "up and downers" and turbines.  Your mass produced boats came out really great.

One thought to your "canvas cover" project. To prevent tearing holes in the thin cloth, if using it, is to add another layer just behind the triangular parts with thinned PVA. I have tried that before with good results.

The best of luck mu friend.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

20 hours ago, cog said:

Mass production started. Looks very impressive, Nils. Not much to correct as far as I can see from this side. It's stunning to see how much detail you can preserve with this method of replication. Wonderful work!!

Carl,

many thanks for your appreciative words,...

the first casts unfortunately show some places where air bubbles had been trapped especialy in the fender rope region, but that could be solved with applying a little more seperation wax there. In all I`m also very pleased with the detail reproduction, I thought it would be more complicated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

14 hours ago, dadodude said:

Hello Nils, first of all, much thanks for a wonderful tour around the Hamburg harbor. The engine room brought back memories. I started my technical career as ship's machinist before switching to aircraft. I'm quite familiar with the old steam "up and downers" and turbines.  Your mass produced boats came out really great.

One thought to your "canvas cover" project. To prevent tearing holes in the thin cloth, if using it, is to add another layer just behind the triangular parts with thinned PVA. I have tried that before with good results.

The best of luck mu friend.

Cheers, 

Thank you very much Piet,

I`m pleased you liked the engine room pics (bringing back steamship operating memories). I was myself surprised that the engine room crew had no objections in letting me down into the engine room, also through a tunnel in the coal bunker, and right before the boiler furnaces....

With the "closed" boats reproduction I`m quite pleased with the result so far. I`ll give it a try for the open boats as well, perhaps it may take several trials, in order to find out the critical points of the procedure,

Thanks for your input on the possible help for peventing tearout on those "canvas cover" details

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- what a fabulous way to celebrate the anniversary of Hamburg Harbor!  Those are terrific pictures and they make me think that all of Hamburg must have been out to cheer 828 years.

Thanks for giving us all the tour.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Nils

Great way to make the boats! They look good!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Nils...as you discovered..an ample application of a separating medium is needed to reduce the surface tension...so bubbles are not captured in the casting.  Your attempt worked out very well with split casting.  The real test will be when you finish the mating surfaces and the two halves mate perfectly along the keel.  It was logical on your part to produce a double ended boat...so your process would work well.  Nothing worse then trying to mate two sides of a boat if you cast a bow and a stern for both sides from the same mold.

Great job!

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, Martin W said:

Hi Nils -- what a fabulous way to celebrate the anniversary of Hamburg Harbor!  Those are terrific pictures and they make me think that all of Hamburg must have been out to cheer 828 years.

Thanks for giving us all the tour.

Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for catching up, and for your nice words to the harbor tour pics...

I`m glad you liked them

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

16 minutes ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Nils

Great way to make the boats! They look good!

Regards

Gerhard

Hello Gerhard,

so far so good thanks Gerhard, I`m just trying to cast a open boat, to see if it works...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

7 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Nils...as you discovered..an ample application of a separating medium is needed to reduce the surface tension...so bubbles are not captured in the casting.  Your attempt worked out very well with split casting.  The real test will be when you finish the mating surfaces and the two halves mate perfectly along the keel.  It was logical on your part to produce a double ended boat...so your process would work well.  Nothing worse then trying to mate two sides of a boat if you cast a bow and a stern for both sides from the same mold.

Great job!

Rob

Yeah Rob,

its amazing what a little more seperating wax can do in the critical areas....

Meantime I faired 10 halves and glued these together,......result : perfect fit on 5 boats, I`m very pleased.

I do`nt know yet if the open boat will come out the mold properly, as I`m working there with an additional plug for the interior.....

Nils

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

3 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hello Gerhard,

so far so good thanks Gerhard, I`m just trying to cast a open boat, to see if it works...

Nils

Hi Nils

As I know your skills, it WILL work!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Sometimes if you use a slower setting resin the bubbles will have more time to float out. With fast setting, the bubbles don't have time to float out and are trapped. Also I forgot to see if you vented your molds.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

13 minutes ago, reklein said:

Sometimes if you use a slower setting resin the bubbles will have more time to float out. With fast setting, the bubbles don't have time to float out and are trapped. Also I forgot to see if you vented your molds.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for looking in..

I also thought that the work time was far too fast (laying at 2 minutes only), at mix 1:1, so I declined the catalyst share step by step, and now have a work time of 1/4 hour, but the resin will take appr. 3 hours to cure out.

Ventilation....   the molds all have their open side to the top and vented over the top surface. When using the additional plug, there might be some small horizontal, but slightly tapered surfaces that could trap some air. I`ll check tomorrow morning, as the resin is still curing....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

If you're ambitious Nils...after you pour the mold... gently hold it against a palm sander a couple of times..and the vibration will easily release the bubbles up and out...just that easy.  Just be careful not to over vibrate...you'll shake everything loose.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):