SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Yeah ,my bad I was thinking you were using a closed mold for a whole boat. But, I looked back and saw your method. I was trying to make 192/1 landing craft and having a terrible time with fast setting resin. The project is really coming along nice I spite of all the help you're getting from us. =)

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

My thanks go to Rob and Bill,

and all fellow members who gave their kind input, suggestions and comments for boats making... recently

Also thanks to all the "likes"...

Rob,

good idea with the vibrating palm sander, I must try that, and save in mind..., I was already thinking of what I possibly could use exactly for that purpose...

Bill,

the additional plug still requires some corrections, but I think in general it should work as intended. After glueing the halves together I will remove the center area of the halfmoon like top cover until only the rail on the sheer remains standing. Here in the white sample there is no inner bulwark support, whilst the translucent sample was made from the modified plug with 8 slots to resemble the ribs...

Nils

DSCI5135.thumb.JPG.aba6842194fddcaf6c784ca39d3c2aa2.JPG

halves ready for fairing sanding the to be matching glue surfaces

DSCI5134.thumb.JPG.76ffaf02bed638c3f28cf54c46b9ba36.JPG

here 5 completed boats

DSCI5130.thumb.JPG.e1250910dc560521a503dcd26605bde8.JPG

The upper sample with reinforcement ribs

DSCI5132.thumb.JPG.021808c2c801796e1125b447e9526ab5.JPG

the additional plug for hanging / fixing into the silicon mold

DSCI5136.thumb.JPG.7bbc4d7cb9216c1b8eedc08c08cafc2c.JPG

now that it works, the other side of the plug will also get outcuts

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Such great progress since I last looked in ;)    your boats are coming out very good......future boat needs will be a lot easier now.    super trip you and the admiral went on.....thanks for sharing :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Such great progress since I last looked in ;)    your boats are coming out very good......future boat needs will be a lot easier now.    super trip you and the admiral went on.....thanks for sharing :) 

Thanks very much Denis,

for your kind comment, much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

4 hours ago, DORIS said:

Outstanding model and beautiful impression with the crew on decks. You did a great job. 
My admiration, dear Nils.
Kind regards, 
Doris

Doris,

thank you very much for your nice compliment, for looking in and your interest for this build, much appreciated...

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update :

here, the first one of the raw open boats. I think I`ll place one or two open boats later on each side of the ship...., most of the others will be closed and canvas covered boats

Nils

DSCI5137.thumb.JPG.f1119570289b04c81561563221a4e658.JPG

This is the same silicon mold as for the closed boats, but here additionaly a plug is inserted and fixed in position, before the resin is carefully poured in....

DSCI5139.thumb.JPG.65cb99769e1dfeb54bfd1801707e171e.JPG

The result out of the silicone mold...

DSCI5143.thumb.JPG.54b531b765d1b1efc0c9b05486ca3f45.JPG

and after pulling the plug out

DSCI5145.thumb.JPG.23fadd4076d1e9afeadd77d6d983cacc.JPG

the two halves are glued together and the decking cover is milled out with a Dremel

DSCI5146.thumb.JPG.7de0235bd8516b6f4876843f63974ce6.JPG

DSCI5148.thumb.JPG.737491c9fec26ecd818964edf4681ee6.JPG

seatings a bit broader and thicker, capacity, when full occupied 26 persons

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Well done! With a little amount of paint they will be perfect! I like the boats.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

thank you very much Gerhard and Carl,

a little bit of experience could be gained with the use of silicon and resin for the fist time, so if boats should be required again, there could be some optimizing of the process.

There are still tripple stacked foldable boats (last in the row on both ship sides), but I have to do a master boat set first....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"There are still tripple stacked foldable boats"

now that will be interesting!!! Will you make them tripple stacked in the mould, or stack them after you made them ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you much Kees, Carl and John,

for your nice words...

Kees,

in the beginning it was a little strange to work with silicone and resin, but now have addopted this procedure in my repertoir....

Carl,

I presume that the foldable boats will be single production and then stacked, might be easyier to produce

John,

thanks for catching up, you`re always wellcome...

As I already learnt a lot of english terms from you already, please may I ask, if the halfmoon like handle ropes (for people in the water) around the boats are called "grab ropes", or if they have a special term ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

These ropes are called lifelines.  Lifeboats on "modern" ships also have grab lines (which are never seen on models for some reason) which are ropes which run around under the boat from gunwale to gunwale and are for the purpose of righting a capsized boat.  There are usually two grab lines per boat.

John

14 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Nils,

These ropes are called lifelines.  Lifeboats on "modern" ships also have grab lines (which are never seen on models for some reason) which are ropes which run around under the boat from gunwale to gunwale and are for the purpose of righting a capsized boat.  There are usually two grab lines per boat.

John

Thanks very much John,

learnt something new again, much appreciated, "lifelines" such an easy word......, also the function of the grab lines makes sense, when trying to righten my sailing dinghi once, standing on the keel I nearly broke the wooden swing centerplate by sidewise hanging my weight to it`s full length standing up, wish I had grab lines there...

For these small resin boats I give it a go for a trial on a scrap part with the lifelines and the seine floats attached, quite a weary process, but I trust the optic will be worth the effort afterwards. For the closed boats the canvas cover may be partialy hiding some of the lifelines

Nils

DSCI5150.thumb.JPG.456f0454acd037af63b929a234e88dc8.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

11 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Nils, another way to fit the lifelines is to just drill a small hole but not put an eye in.  A bight of the lifeline can then be pushed into the hole using a piece of wire and glued in place.

John

Hi John,

I took up your suggestion for fastening the lifelines (drilled a small hole 0,6 mm and pulled the lifline rope in with a very thin brass loop and clipped it off at the inside bulwark rail) it will look more elegant now, thanks for your nice tip, much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

super job on the life boats.......they look awesome! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks Denis and Greg,

for your nice comments, much appreciated..

Denis,

they`re missing floor planking, hoisting points and seatings, as well as the lifelines, paint coating and shipsname at the bow

Greg,

maybe (for the open boats) I`ll ty to make some oars and a rudder for putting them loose on the seatings

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Doll-em up Nils........Since you only will have a few.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Nice work on the small boats, Nils.  It is always interesting to see innovative solutions for modeling small scale pieces, and especially when many copies are needed.  You have both these issues to conquer on your model and the results are great.

Ed

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Doll-em up Nils........Since you only will have a few.

Rob

Hi Rob,

you find me a bit iritated with the term "doll-em up"... (pls. give me a hint...)

do you perhaps  mean to put rowlocks on ? In German the term for rowlocks on a rowboat is " Ruder-dollen"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 hour ago, EdT said:

Nice work on the small boats, Nils.  It is always interesting to see innovative solutions for modeling small scale pieces, and especially when many copies are needed.  You have both these issues to conquer on your model and the results are great.

Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks so much for that nice compliment, yes, the boats are quite a tough sequence to do, and also to get them rigged afterwards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

3 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Rob,

you find me a bit iritated with the term "doll-em up"... (pls. give me a hint...)

do you perhaps  mean to put rowlocks on ? In German the term for rowlocks on a rowboat is " Ruder-dollen"

Nils

The term is probably American and it simply means to spoof up or make nice.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you Rob,

it is understood, nice comment !

I`ll do my best

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Back with you Nils after my absence. Nice work on all the life boats, something for us to remember trying.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

8 hours ago, dadodude said:

Back with you Nils after my absence. Nice work on all the life boats, something for us to remember trying.

Cheers,

Thanks very much Piet,

am pleased you like the little boats

also thanks for your catching up on the build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Little update...

look of the open lifeboats, with floorplanking, seatings, hoist points, name and port of registration but still without lifelines

Nils

DSCI5162.thumb.JPG.f06e5084460ed91fa1187730a9edd05c.JPG

DSCI5169.thumb.JPG.ed566d5fa3e4a887369432d43c7ac5b3.JPG

DSCI5168.thumb.JPG.10a1a1fca12d58625df39567a1e2eb6b.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed