SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Many thanks to Keith, Nick, John and Christos,

for your nice comments, and thanks to all the "likes"....

Keith,

thanks for taking a mental look around on board.....,

for display I am looking for a suitable side-table to put the glass casing on, besides that I need to deal with my admiral for an ideal place in our home, up to now the agreement is, no models in the living area of the house

Nick, 

pleased you like the overall shots, sometimes not easy with the small digital camera...

John, 

blades pointing forward (was just luck in this case...), but thanks for that input, I`ll  be aware of this now. Do you know what is the reason, is it easier to put the oars into the rowlocks ?

Christos,

for the figurines I chose scale N gauge (1:160) make "Preiser". It was a process of watching out in Ebay auctions, and the web over weeks and months for figures offered in (around 1900) fashions Preiser unfortunately does not produce these in this scale in "around turn of the century fashions" any more, but with some luck I was able to achieve quite some good ones. They are not all placed on the decks yet. Four figurines (custom made in scale 1:144) I am very thankful for, came as a greatful gift from a fellow MSW modeler including the captain of the ship.

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you very much Christos,

well, I have to be patient, considering that it takes me round 1 hour to do the lifelines on a single lifeboat.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

24 minutes ago, archjofo said:

Hi Nils,

as always an eyecatcher.
Wonderful model building.

Danke, for your nice compliment Johann,

much appreciated..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, reference  "no models in the living area of the house"

have you you thought about convincing your other half of the benefits of reducing the occupied areas. 

1 less cleaning

2 less heating

3 less space to attract unwanted visitors

If you start the brainwashing now in a decade or so she will believe it was her idea all the time.

As my wife ocassionally looks at my posts I will have to delete this thread in case she gets ideas about display location bans.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nils,

Just more brilliant after each new posting!!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

9 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Nils, reference  "no models in the living area of the house"

have you you thought about convincing your other half of the benefits of reducing the occupied areas. 

1 less cleaning

2 less heating

3 less space to attract unwanted visitors

If you start the brainwashing now in a decade or so she will believe it was her idea all the time.

As my wife ocassionally looks at my posts I will have to delete this thread in case she gets ideas about display location bans.

:D  :D  :D

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

9 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Nils,

Just more brilliant after each new posting!!

Cheers,

Many thanks for your nice compliment MD...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 hour ago, DORIS said:

This is gorgeous model, superb result. I admire the realistic details and the overall impression of this ship. You're really great modeler.
Best regards

Doris,

I thank you for your kind compliment with this build, much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bloody marvelous mate!

I showed the last few photos to my admiral and she was speechless!

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Well done Nils. I too enjoy strolling around the deck to inhale the mild sea breeze and smell the salt air. So, yeah, I am an old romantic and like to dream.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you so much Greg and Piet,

for your nice words...

Greg,

Thanks for looking in regulary,

am pleased you like the ship. On 26th May it was 2 years since keellaying, estimated was 2,5 years to complete, guess it will not be earlier....

Piet,

lovely to have these romantic emotions, I often have same thoughts when trying to implement mental ideas into a model....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

It is all coming together so nicely Nils....Very impressive vessel.  I'm just guessing but are those model train *N* scale people you are using?  If so what a perfect match.  You can buy those people prefinished in all manner of positions and you can fill the ship with action.

Very impressive.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

42 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

It is all coming together so nicely Nils....Very impressive vessel.  I'm just guessing but are those model train *N* scale people you are using?  If so what a perfect match.  You can buy those people prefinished in all manner of positions and you can fill the ship with action.

Very impressive.

Rob

Hi Rob,

you are absolutely right, N scale (1:160) is adequate and is bringing her to live....., for the passengers on the decks, they will be N scale in period fashions, I did`nt put them on yet...

For crew and machinists I use regular N scale and also scale 1:144 (like for instance from "North Star" marine crews)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very inspiring build, Nils.  The rivets alone would scare me off .....great perseverance.

John

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

Sorry for the delay in replying, Nils - I've been having internet connection problems!

I was always usual to stow the steering oar with the blade pointing aft as it was then a quick move to pick it up and fit it over the stern as the boat was launched.  The rowing oars were therefore stowed with their blades forward so that they wouldn't be confused with the steering oar in the dark.  Even when lifeboats were fitted with a rudder and tiller, they still carried the steering oar.

John

11 hours ago, Boxnotes said:

Very inspiring build, Nils.  The rivets alone would scare me off .....great perseverance.

John

Thanks very much for your kind comment John,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

5 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, Nils - I've been having internet connection problems!

I was always usual to stow the steering oar with the blade pointing aft as it was then a quick move to pick it up and fit it over the stern as the boat was launched.  The rowing oars were therefore stowed with their blades forward so that they wouldn't be confused with the steering oar in the dark.  Even when lifeboats were fitted with a rudder and tiller, they still carried the steering oar.

John

Thank you John,

that explains nicely the pointing of the rudder blades (steering oar in the dark, etc...)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 60...

Update,

making the "collapsible" lifeboats...

These are shorter, flatter and a bit narrower than the larger lifeboats. The appearance is more that of a "river barge", but the capacity is just like the that of the larger boats. The hardshell-part untill slightly above the waterline is made in wood, and clinker planked. The side flexible textile / canvas bulwark is shown in collapsed mode, in order to staple two or three boats under the last pair of davits in the total boats row.

The raw mini models (I´m doing 6 of them) are made in the well proven way with silicone mold and resin castings......

Nils

DSCI5249.thumb.JPG.dca549ea7b2fc7f85ebafa771fa75393.JPG

Shape of the collapsible boats, (here still without shaped interior area)

DSCI5247.thumb.JPG.c1caa47026ea90fcf246eabce46babfa.JPG

"Clinker planking" resembled with 3mm wide stripes of aluminium foil

DSCI5248.thumb.JPG.e596420242fff71a0ea0b9c623ba0995.JPG

tapering the the overlapping stripes to the ends

DSCI5252.thumb.JPG.b975cb42d480760f25cff75cca91a3f5.JPG

making a mold for the outer shape hull

DSCI5256.thumb.JPG.9c4528e51adeeeaed3b3643743ba8a39.JPG

here the plug for the outer shape

DSCI5260.thumb.JPG.5da41aa460b57d2d2fcc20072e24f85a.JPG

Here the plug for the interior shape

DSCI5254.thumb.JPG.8eae2c940c6e7473242658f6f31a0071.JPG

This is the second plug for the interior contours of the boat, resin cast in between outer skin and interior plug

DSCI5261.thumb.JPG.c5c8ef4f6765dedc5b614db400bed51c.JPG

raw, collapsible boat compared with the size of the the larger boats

DSCI5259.thumb.JPG.cdb81628aef1f2d4b66d7ae8d720cae0.JPG

result : raw cast boat hull....

DSCI5262.thumb.JPG.e821ff056dc525a357e6e93d533cdb75.JPG

three story high, will put some additional spacer / supporting lugs under second and third boat

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hey howya goin Nils mate, the little boats are looking great mate.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hey howya goin Nils mate, the little boats are looking great mate.    :bird-vi:

Hi Eddie,

thanks for looking in and for your words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

Great work on the collapsible life boats. Great idea to make them they way should be made and to add the cover. It makes them so real.

Happymoulding matw

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Many thanks Greg,

am pleased you like the simplified collapsibles, that now completes the basic production of all the boats, shall do the remaining rigging of the falls to all the boats now....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils

You seem to make progress very quickly. Do you spend a lot of time on the build or are you training for the model making olympics?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

5 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Nils

You seem to make progress very quickly. Do you spend a lot of time on the build or are you training for the model making olympics?

Just having fun with making and seeing ideas work out Keith,

you`re right with the bunch of time involved, but sometimes I ca`nt settle down if I do`nt see the results match the intensions yet...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, missed a lot of your recent progress but it is so great to see everything come together.  Your KWdG really has a presence would look fantastic in any setting.  I hope your admiral could be persuaded to let it in the house :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

24 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Nils, missed a lot of your recent progress but it is so great to see everything come together.  Your KWdG really has a presence would look fantastic in any setting.  I hope your admiral could be persuaded to let it in the house :)

thanks very much for your word Jason,...

probably I`ll put the KWdG on display in my hobby room, together with the other models, thats not too bad. I have now agreement with the admiral that it can be set up in the living area, but there is absolutely no more adequate space, and she`s right there....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed