SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Incredible Work Nils, Beautifully done 

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

11 minutes ago, pete48 said:

Incredible Work Nils, Beautifully done 

Best Regards,

Pete 

Pete,

thanks for looking in, your compliment, and for catching up.....

I just had a look at your RC racer, a grand boat

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update

all  24 boats mounted and with attatched falls. The collapsible boats (3 story) are a bit higher above deck, so those davits had to be made new

Nils

DSCI5265.thumb.JPG.18a61bf7889bacbae51a2e0e022b1ece.JPG

The first and the second boat get spacer lugs for mounting the boat on top

DSCI5279.thumb.JPG.175dcdf866151bb5f10d824a7b285bb2.JPG

The supports for the oars, the seatings and the floor planks are mounted already (only for upper boat)

DSCI5269.thumb.JPG.2f2360b3de3cb2cab2699793a65e126c.JPG

in total there are 4 boat types ( four large, open ones, two smaller open ones, twelve large closed ones, and six collapsible ones)

DSCI5272.thumb.JPG.3e2f120bac667c0c54576a008635d458.JPG

DSCI5275.thumb.JPG.72845e154a24f98c3ef174261069f41b.JPG

DSCI5278.thumb.JPG.f7dc4fc21960aeaa2a832aca1aa210e6.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Really nice, Nils -

It is taking on the unmistakable compelling appearance of the ship.  All of those little details add up to much more than the sum of the parts.

Excellent work.  Thanks, as always, for letting us accompany you on your journey.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Nils..perfect !  You've done so very well...the new boats are magnificent..and as usual, your technique was well executed. 

Looks like she is nearly finished..some flags...small details and  BAMN!  Let us see were she will be displayed..so we can marvel.

This has been a very exciting log to follow.  Where have you displayed your other fine models?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

2 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Really nice, Nils -

It is taking on the unmistakable compelling appearance of the ship.  All of those little details add up to much more than the sum of the parts.

Excellent work.  Thanks, as always, for letting us accompany you on your journey.

Dan

Thank you very much Dan,

for your compliments and your nice words, I`m very pleased that to date so many always wellcome fellow builders are taking part in this jouney`s progress. Its not far to go any more....

I`ll do a set of final pictures, when all is done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

2 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Nils..perfect !  You've done so very well...the new boats are magnificent..and as usual, your technique was well executed. 

Looks like she is nearly finished..some flags...small details and  BAMN!  Let us see were she will be displayed..so we can marvel.

This has been a very exciting log to follow.  Where have you displayed your other fine models?

Rob

Hi Rob,

thanks very much for your kind words and your compliment, much appreciated,...

Also many thanks to the "likes" for clicking on....

As I have answered to Dan already, you and all who are following this log are very wellcome, and I`m so pleased the model is liked so much...

I`ve been asked already many times where she will be displayed and can nominate a preliminary place on a shelf of my hobby room in our cellar, below the "Heinrich Kayser" steamship where the presently standing river tug "Lorbas" will be removed to somewhere else. I think the KWdG will deserve a more exponated display area in the house later on, but in the moment I unfortunately ca`nt serve with the ignitial idea where...

To answer your question, where the other models are displayed, ....... they are all on display within their glass cases in my hobby room

Nils

DSCI5280.thumb.JPG.f2096f1f876e0d4b5e82786f37ecc9fc.JPG

The "HMS Pegasus" stand plate bares two identical nameplates so the glass case can alternatively be turned 180° to also display the closed side of the hull. As the sails are braced about 45 ° one would be looking at more dominating sail area from the other side as well, whilst the here shown side gives more view to the entire rigging

DSCI5284.thumb.JPG.c87743a60e7c45f83d9f4f4ac9e43029.JPG

Here I also have my work desk for the lesser sawdust producing work. The models are all illuminated by spots from the ceiling

DSCI5286.thumb.JPG.39c15a8cf9df487bb82cbd9cf6980547.JPG

the shelves are self made, and have to be well fixed to the wall with rigid supports in order to take the weight of the glass casings

DSCI5294.thumb.JPG.8629d32a59138da65c82e1acca3b08f0.JPG

in the upper left of the pic  a door to the small bathroom in the background can be seen. My hobby room was originally planed and used as a guest room

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils - 

Yes, attach those shelves VERY strongly to the wall studs.  I once had to restore about 6 ocean liner models for a collector whose entire wall of shelves came crashing down one night.  Not a pretty sight.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, shipmodel said:

Nils - 

Yes, attach those shelves VERY strongly to the wall studs.  I once had to restore about 6 ocean liner models for a collector whose entire wall of shelves came crashing down one night.  Not a pretty sight.

Dan

Hi Dan,

yes, I know, have used 8mm Fischer dowels for the wall supports..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I've run out of superlatives for KWdG. I love it. Your collection is more than impressive, as well. I know the pleasure of working in a room surrounded by things that you've greatly enjoyed building.

Bob

G'day Nils 

All I can say is to echoes everyone'scomments. Bloody marvelous mate!

Loved the tour of your hobby room and those incredible models. Just wondering, how many years of worth in those models? You must have been a very young gentleman when you first got into modeling. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

What a joy it has been following along with your build, she's a beauty for sure. Thanks for the visit in your hobby room and be able to ogle your models.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks so much for your nice and kind comments,

Bob, John, Greg and Piet,

Bob,

think you`re right,I really enjoy having the models around and in sight view...

John,

Thanks very much, now the journey is gently coming to the end...

Greg,

I was still in school when the first simple models got started. At that time there was no money for buying kits and so all attemps were made with scratch built models. Most of those models went lost or were somehow destroyed after all those years. Those that could be saved to a certain degree of staus to date, are shown on the enclosed pics....

Piet,

I`m pleased you enjoyed the developement and build of the KWdG so far, its been quite some experience to get there....

Nils

here some earlier models..., many years ago...

CIMG0332.thumb.JPG.65c5e2d7f1431eea49cc4aa8897527bf.JPG

a little pond boat for my son, when he was 3 years...

DSCI5300.thumb.JPG.2b861a445f2acf49e58b61df46bbb2bc.JPG

This is from a Billing Boats kit (French Thunny long line fisher)

DSCI5297.thumb.JPG.05349bc8bbfa7c0bcecfd2dc328f3022.JPG

Billing Boats kit (not finished) Bluenose 

CIMG8189.thumb.JPG.b7131e618fda8ae367025ffb2d8d40b6.JPG

CIMG8188.thumb.JPG.e7e9aa41ff5f3d289dd012bcfd6aa90d.JPG

this and the forestanding pic...., schooner America, scratch built for RC sailing, but meantime sold...

CIMG8194.thumb.JPG.1a1d07387379fdc3c664aee8f1f7fcd0.JPG

Hull Endeavor for RC sailing built in lead keel (3,5 Kg), meantime sold

DSCI5296.thumb.JPG.54857f17efc7dd057d194724ce803e6a.JPG

This was a great RC sailor, its built after the 2,5 times enlarged lines of Billings Thunny fisher, standing around rigg damaged and channel ripped off on stb. side

DSCI5308.thumb.JPG.b4f702d4878301e5fd66b1bf973fe14a.JPG

Billings Cux 87 shrimp fisher, never finished, dustcatcher, standing around, waiting for better times to come

DSCI5309.thumb.JPG.d8f6e16b1892e1abc79a4380313859e8.JPG

CIMG8049.JPG.1d7f224ef1e988b63c90699628946ea1.JPG

motorized RC , scratch built Pilot Cutter 30 Ft, after the lines of the actual Cornish Crabbers Pilot cutter, not completed yet

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

What a fantastic collection and thank you for showing them to us.

Bloody marvelous bunch of boats. 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

many thanks thanks for your nice comments John and Greg,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- What an astonishing array of models!  And what's most impressive is the wide range of styles, from the 18th-century Pegasus, to the racing yachts like Bluenose and America, to the working boats, and that amazing KWdG.  Whew!  You could fill an entire museum with your own builds.

And I also want to say that your picture of the KWdG showing all boats up on the top deck is fabulous -- I simply love the view of the boat lining up along the rail.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

thank you very much for your kind appreciations and your words....

I`m quite pleased with the production results of KWdG`s lifeboats, that task was saved up for one of the last larger sequences, with the (for me new) resin casting methode.....

There is still a bit of rigging to be done with the masts and the cargo derricks, the radio arial wires between the masts, and paint touchups. Of course not to forget the custom taylored glass casing...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils

Like a fine wine - you get better and better with age.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

G'day Nils. 

I for one, will be very sad when you do your last post on the KWdG. This has been an incredibly interesting 3 years from the the first construction of the false keel till now. 

Can't wait for your next project!

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Nils,

I have followed, from the beginning, your SS Kaiser Wilhelm - Astonishing art indeed.

AND there are so many more !!

I will never reach your achievements - that said what a pleasure to have followed your work.

So many inspirations for me as a novice builder. 

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

thank you so much Keith, Greg and Michael,

nice compliments and appreciations, I`m pleased you liked the trip, which is slowly heading to the end....

Have now added some passengers and crew in 1900` fashions on the decks....

also thanks to all the "likes" for clicking on...

Nils

DSCI5314.thumb.JPG.7fdbbcb73563c58412c8282c1723ed79.JPG

DSCI5315.thumb.JPG.aa4547ff78c2ad0c39eeeea9f2dd5aba.JPG

prussian family with maid and children on the port aft boatsdeck on their way to the "New World"

DSCI5318.thumb.JPG.5ea82c2b05a2a0e07741d1cca7b90096.JPG

life on the sunny promenade deck head

DSCI5319.thumb.JPG.5f94ad9915f080e06944706729a2c8d1.JPG

crew members checking out condition of port boat # 2

DSCI5322.thumb.JPG.6737bcf67fbb616fbda62d1830c1acb2.JPG

DSCI5323.thumb.JPG.f2007598f33ae299ae2adbce93abdc46.JPG

three of the well off society ladies on deck enjoying the sunny day, two radio operators in front of the radio booth station

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Now she comes alive, so well done so far!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

14 minutes ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Nils

Now she comes alive, so well done so far!

Regards

Gerhard

Thank you very much Gerhard,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

3 hours ago, albert said:

Hi Nils very nice modelship.

many thanks Albert...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils, I usually stop by about once a month to check up on your progress and, as usual, i am in awe. Your skills are truly impressive and inspiring.