Mirabell61

SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

I dunno.......I just look at it.......yup,  that's white ;)   black 'n white photos make it hard though.   but take into consideration though that it may now be a light gray color due to aging and weathering.

{my glass is always half full} ;) 

1 hour ago, rybakov said:

Beautifull atmosphere Nils, it has only gotten better as it progressed

Regarding buoys, scroll back to January 7th #1837 

Zeh

Thanks for your kind input Zeh,

with this reminder, but I`ll leave the buoys now as is....., otherwise would have to replace them all with white painted self made horseshoe shaped ones, that would certainly go too far detail wise..

Nils

On 25.6.2017 at 5:10 AM, Piet said:

Beautiful detailing Nils. Love that Bavarian hoompa band. What a feast to the eye your ship is.

Cheers,

Thanks for catching up Piet,

and for your compliment with the hoompa band.....

I`m just preparing for the production of the custom taylored glass casing. Think I`ll order the cut glass panes (4 mm glass thickness) from the glasser`s shop tomorrow, it takes about a week to get them...

For the design a have a little 1:1 dummy model of the casing bottom corner, in order to show the glasser where close tolerances are required for the cut.

Nils

DSCI5350.thumb.JPG.e7b7b3f5d1881336d20985c01657be51.JPG

the long casing profiles 12 x 12 mm come only in 90 cm length, so the four of them have to be shafted and the joint reinforced with 4 mm brass square tube, and glued together. The wooden frame will be stained in cherry tone and dull varnished, like the finished casing in the background

DSCI5344.thumb.JPG.65e1f24f5037fb59afb1707d1bde7698.JPG

showing the number of elements that go into the casing

DSCI5347.thumb.JPG.09702e4beb35be2a86fb4834ca98c02b.JPG

the entire 5-sided upper casing can be taken off the base, it will be secured in place with 6 slide pins

DSCI5348.thumb.JPG.829e1b3b31a8ce28ff1e600bb0ccce1f.JPG

the slots for the glass are 4 x 4 mm and appr. 1mm clearance to the glass outside contour (compensation of later expected wood shrinkage)

Oh oh Nils!!!!  

I feel a certain feeling of dread; fueled by a strong sense of dismay😏.  It can't be true, can it???  You're building the display case now? 

That can only mean one thing ....Your wonderful KWdG's journey must be coming to an end.

I can't believe it, because following your Build Log has been tremendously enjoyable.  

What's next???

Cheers. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Oh oh Nils!!!!  

I feel a certain feeling of dread; fueled by a strong sense of dismay😏.  It can't be true, can it???  You're building the display case now? 

That can only mean one thing ....Your wonderful KWdG's journey must be coming to an end.

I can't believe it, because following your Build Log has been tremendously enjoyable.  

What's next???

Cheers. 

Patrick

Patrick,

thanks very much for your words...

there are still the radio aerials to make, the nameplate, and the derrick cargo beams to be rigged. As the casing will also take some time to complete, I think I can do that simultaeously.

For the next project I have`nt made up my mind yet,

although there are many ideas spooking round in my mind and I would like to settle on the right decision, to stand it through.....

love the "Chebece 1750" , Karl (Jeronimo) is doing in the moment, (not an easy one !!)

or the Danish "Hjejlen, paddlesteamer", live museum ship

or the German "lightship Elbe 1"

or the British cutter "Alert" of 1777, (the uncompleted build log of MSW member Lee has given me a very strong inspiration some time ago....)

or the French "Le Canot Imperial" Napoleon`s oar-driven state bark

And it could just as well hapen, that something else strikes my mind on short term, which would possibly even overrule the others

Nils

G'day Nils 

I'm with Patrick, with a long and sad heart knowing that this immaculate build and log will be ending soon.

Have your thought about doing the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE? I would say this would suit and your incredible talents to the make an incredible job, again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

On 26.6.2017 at 5:18 AM, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

I'm with Patrick, with a long and sad heart knowing that this immaculate build and log will be ending soon.

Have your thought about doing the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE? I would say this would suit and your incredible talents to the make an incredible job, again.

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Thank you Greg,

I need to do some more research to help myself on the decision track, and have an eye on a certain set of plans for a scratch build, more probably next week...

Nils

Hi Nils

Now, here's a thought...how about doing a large scale model of a modern mega-yacht (similar to what I'm building now).  You could even detail the interior!

It'd be right up your alley:)

What do you think?

Cheers

Patrick

54 minutes ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Nils

Now, here's a thought...how about doing a large scale model of a modern mega-yacht (similar to what I'm building now).  You could even detail the interior!

It'd be right up your alley:)

What do you think?

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks for your words Patrick,

I`ve taken farewell from the large scale models some time ago. The ones I had were designed for a RC control device, the hardware I had from the sixties or seventies and some people asked me if it was self made, it was one of the first Robbe 2 channel devices. Then I was told that it was not allowed to opperate the appropriate frequencies any more, so it went to the electronic waste bin. Now no more large models, on top of that I do`nt have the space in the house any more. For building sofisticated interior like you do, I trust I would`nt have the patience....

Nils

19 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thanks for your words Patrick,

I`ve taken farewell from the large scale models some time ago. The ones I had were designed for a RC control device, the hardware I had from the sixties or seventies and some people asked me if it was self made, it was one of the first Robbe 2 channel devices. Then I was told that it was not allowed to opperate the appropriate frequencies any more, so it went to the electronic waste bin. Now no more large models, on top of that I do`nt have the space in the house any more. For building sofisticated interior like you do, I trust I would`nt have the patience....

Nils

Ahhh. Ok Nils. Perhaps I used the wrong term by saying 'large scale'.  I guess I was comparing it to my teeny tiny boats.  What I should've said was a model that was perhaps, 2 to 3 feet long, at the most. That'd be roughly the same size as your wonderful Pandora.

Just a thought.  Totally your decision, of course!  

Cheers

Patrick

On 27.6.2017 at 3:03 PM, Omega1234 said:

Ahhh. Ok Nils. Perhaps I used the wrong term by saying 'large scale'.  I guess I was comparing it to my teeny tiny boats.  What I should've said was a model that was perhaps, 2 to 3 feet long, at the most. That'd be roughly the same size as your wonderful Pandora.

Just a thought.  Totally your decision, of course!  

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your words, but the credit for the wonderful built "Pandora" goes to member Marsalv

Nils

Nils, I like the photos on case construction.  They are very helpful.  I find case design to be something of a challenge with conflicting priorities - size vs strength, strength vs visibility, ease of disassembly, etc.  Some interesting ideas here.  Thanks.

Ed

18 hours ago, EdT said:

Nils, I like the photos on case construction.  They are very helpful.  I find case design to be something of a challenge with conflicting priorities - size vs strength, strength vs visibility, ease of disassembly, etc.  Some interesting ideas here.  Thanks.

Ed

Hi Ed,

many thanks for your words, I`m pleased, if it can provide the one or other idea. It will be the seventh casing I`ve made on this basis, and they are lasting for years already. The available display place is also a criteria to be considered. I use my small 1:1 dummy mock up corner for backward calculatuion... length display space, casing outer frame dimensions, u-slot in the beams, wood shrinkage clearance and determine the size and tolerances of the glass panels.

I issued a seperate case making thread some time ago, here at MSW, it may be of interest.....

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3011-how-to-do-maritime-suit-tailored-glass-cases-for-displaying-models/

Nils

Thanks for the link to your case-making, Nils.  I've thought about trying my own hand at making a case, since the custom models are pretty expensive.  But I've mostly been intimidated by the 3-dimensional framing.  I'm going to study your work, and maybe I'll give it a try -- my Rattlesnake and Prince are getting TOO dusty!

Cheers,

Martin

11 minutes ago, Martin W said:

Thanks for the link to your case-making, Nils.  I've thought about trying my own hand at making a case, since the custom models are pretty expensive.  But I've mostly been intimidated by the 3-dimensional framing.  I'm going to study your work, and maybe I'll give it a try -- my Rattlesnake and Prince are getting TOO dusty!

Cheers,

Martin

thanks for your catch up Martin,

yes, the amount of dust that can settle on a model is enormous, for that reason I work with preliminary plastic foil also during the building phase

Nils

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

This build has been a delight to follow Nils, and you have produced a model of outstanding interest and beauty.

You have my utmost admiration.

Regards,

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E.,

for your very nice compliment, much appreciated, I`m very pleased you followed and liked this heritage liner.

Just finished a nameplate, that will go into the case that will probably begin in the coming week, when I get the glas panes

Nils

DSCI5355.thumb.JPG.556e5221b96c6059af2676aa583b5f64.JPG

2 hours ago, Gerhardvienna said:

Hi Nils

Perfect work on the ship, stunning!

And I`m sure, the showcase will be the same quality.

Regards

Gerhard

Thanks very much Gerhard,

the glass case will be nothing fancy, but large glass areas for good viewing from all sides, minimum frame thickness, and rigid enough for the bonnet to be taken off upwards. As the 4 mm thick glass brings quite some weight, it takes 2 persons to safely handle the bonnet, when settling it down on the brass positioning pins of the baseplate.

Nils

Nils,

In a way it is a pitty to see this build come to an end. I have throroughly enjoyed it. Another master piece in your growing collection. I hope your next build will be as challenging for you and educational for us. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Carl,

thank you very much for your kind appreciative words. For rounding up the build there will next to the appropriate post update, still be a set of photos to be made and to be placed in my gallery.

For my next model I have now made up my mind and chosen a Chebece type vessel. I simply just ca`nt free my mind from the lovely pics of this ship type that Karl, member (Jeronimo), did show in the introduction to his current build. I presume the French Chebec "Le Requin" may be a bit above my skill level, but I have ordered the plans and building intructions only, from Amati in Torino for the beautiful Arabian / north African Amati Sciabecco 1753 Chebec. The scale I am intending to enlarge from 1:60 to 1:48, and to perform it in a modified and customised POB scratch build (somewhat like the hull framing I did with the Pegasus build from Amati Plan some time ago). In the moment I`m still in the research and planning phase, while the KWdG is being completed.

When the time for the start shot comes, of course there will be a seperate build log....

The enclosed pic is borrowed from the web...

Nils

1427-xebec-1-60-boat-wooden-amati.thumb.jpg.64c7cf5cbcf711f95b6df0e7c9e976f3.jpg

here a sample of the Amati Sciabecco 1753 Chebec in scale 1:60, as per kit

Nils,

You sell yourself short. I am convinced you can build the Requin with the plans from ANCRE. However, you should build what you like, as it remains a hobby, and should be, although challenging, fun to do. I look forward to your new build log

Hi Carl,

thanks for your nice words,....

I presume that building the "Le Requin" 1:48 from the Acre (book) plans in the way it deserves, is to a certain degree like the task of building a "Swan Class Sloop" after TFFM plans in 1:48. Maybe I could do it, thanks for credit  there, but I feel I would`nt have the patience to stand it through. I dip my hat to those fellow builders who have that skill and patience to finalize their awesome large size models

Nils