SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Thank you Patrick,

the fairing and blending reached a stage where filler will be of help now for real smooth transitions...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils,

Lovely metalwork...seems a shame to have to paint it in some ways! Props look better every time I see them as will now the rudder!

Hull is also looking wonderful and I am looking forward to seeing the next detail levels go on like all those great portholes.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Fabulous work on the rudder Nils, and your prop shaft housings are looking very smooth too.

Many thanks Nigel and Grant,

and all the "likes"

Nigel,

thanks for your words, the ports will come on when the hull is plated, holes drilled through the skin and the hull painted

Grant,

...glad you like it, the actual ship once lost it`s rudder on an Atlantic crossing, do`nt know the reason, onward manouvering to next repair port with individual rpm Setting of the two srews

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Wood work, metal work, I see another great ship coming from your boat yard.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob,

I thank you very much for your nice appreciative words....

wish I were a Little further on already in order to see if the planed next sequences work out as intended...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lovely work, especially on rudder and screws :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Thanks for your comment Dafi,

and for dropping in to the KWdG build log, glad you like the Details...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Yes, Nils, that rudder is exemplary.  But my jaw dropped when I read that you'll be putting in 350-400 portholes :o  oh my, making that many could take your entire weekend!  :D

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I echo all the others Nils nice streamline hull. However I would use a drop of ca for your plating the adhesive on the plates will dry out and you will find your hard work coming off down the road.

David B

Many thanks Martin and David,

and all the "likes"...

Martin,

yes, I counted the number of portholes from the card model ports pattern. I`m still trying to find some rivets with a smaller sized rim, otherwise they might be too prominent for the hull sides.... I may be putting "eyebrows" on just above the ports (upper porthole rows)  in order to direct away rain and rough seawater splashing

David,

fortunately to date I never had Problems with dryed out adhesive gluefilm under the metal plating, Looks like its quite good Quality with that Aluminium foil, but I`ll have to see how it behaves after 10 years or more

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Larry,

there are so many portholes next to one another that that heat involved shaping would not provide a sufficient, repeatable look on the ships side surface. I am enclosing a little trial sample with three portholes. The little upper silver sample shows what hapens to the foil when the hole is not propperly cut, pre- to drilling the wood.

The righthand one on the black colored sample is best looking, but I feel the rim is too prominent, ......

The next two are not so prominent and they are flush with the hull skin, which comes nearest to the actual look. The semi material I use for those are priceworthy lead end-bushings for electronic conduct wiring DIN 46288

Nils

post-3445-0-93308300-1438176337_thumb.jpg

I feel the left two ports look more in scale of the actual ship`s ports

post-3445-0-67351100-1438176627_thumb.jpg

the actual ports are flush with the hull skin, except for extra "eyebrows" on the upper side of the hull

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

update....

some trials for promenade-deck  / boat-deck windows.....

This one of the pics that Peter (Mr. Hollom) sent me with the old couple in front of the deckhouse with the windows concerned, inspired me at least to try do it in scale 1:144 and in brass.

This is the result of the first trial (yet without glassing)..., before the glassing comes in, the background of the "pans" are painted silver-grey, for glassing I intend to place resin into the frame, that cures without shrinking and remains completely transparent in the frames

The window is a vertical doubleframe with common mounting flange and 3 hinges sidewise for the larger frame and 2 hinges on top of the smaller frame. Its completely made of brass, if I could, and had the capability,  I would have etched it out of plate....

The reason for doing this trial now, is because there may come some ideas for improvements for better looking, and when the lot is made, there will be round about 80 - 100 windows to make in repeatable mode

Nils

post-3445-0-61602900-1438273207_thumb.jpg

double-frame window type

post-3445-0-85518200-1438273216_thumb.jpg

common frames are made from hollow brass square rod resp. rectangular rod, I soldered both together and cut slices....

post-3445-0-13812800-1438273215_thumb.jpg

soldered onto a common plate (mounting flange) and glued the hinges on (three sidewise , two at the top)

post-3445-0-47950700-1438273211_thumb.jpg

the two horizontal pencil-lines resemble the deck levels on the little mock up sample and the handrail is directly under the window

post-3445-0-47705000-1438273213_thumb.jpg

the model figurerine is only 12 mm high

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That window will look great on your ship.  I like it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you very much Bob, John and Martin,

....and the " likes "

for your nice comments on the prototype window, ist about smallest I can make this way with my limited capability, wish I knew how etching works, but thats more for modeling professionals...

I`m also thinking of the making of the only 8mm high outer deck railings. They require vertical 4 "wires" in horizontal direction as well as an (if possible) wooden handrail on top. Finaly, per Web Research, as semi material,  I have found some 8mm high  photo etched 6-chord material in scale 1:150 that suits well the requirements from the geometric side, I`ll do a sample and hope it shall work out well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 13

a little update...

applying a bit of filler for blending out transitions and putting on the transom knee-rail around the stern...

Nils

post-3445-0-72563500-1438447756_thumb.jpg

pencil mark for the transom rail

post-3445-0-80122500-1438447759_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-83845600-1438447761_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12089300-1438447765_thumb.jpg

nice smooth hull now...

post-3445-0-95036500-1438447766_thumb.jpg

blending out of the propshaft housings

post-3445-0-01199900-1438447769_thumb.jpg

the lines of an early  "Blue Riband racer"

post-3445-0-15682400-1438447771_thumb.jpg

the transom knee rail is of brass, in order to resist / avoid later dents from knocking against...

Glued and fixed to the hull with 15 brass anchors 0,6 mm diam.

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

What a beautiful and streamlined hull; from the sharp entry at the bow, through to the beautiful elliptical stern and the way that the prop shafts are faired into the hull. A real thing of beauty to behold.

I know that it's a cliché, but they sure don't build 'em like this nowadays! It's a pity that most modern ships are bereft of beauty. Oh well, it makes ships like your KWdG all the more special...

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you very much Patrick,

Thats a well appreciated comment of yours....

the upper two parallel rails will be of wood, (semi-round 1 x 2mm nutwood), but before fixing these I have to get the decks in place first. That will take some time. The metal plating will be between those rails, so that they have a good contact wood to wood

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderfully executed hull Nils. Do you plan to plate it or just paint the hull and leave the surface smooth?

David B

thank you David,Grant and John,

David,

the entire hull will be me "metal-plated in riveting mode", once the decks are established

Grant and John,

your nice comments are much appreciated, I`m glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nigel,

thank you for your nice words....., very much appreciated,

I am momentarily considering the ponce-size for the "riveting"......

my favorite Ponce structure is like I did for the "Heinrich Kayser" Steamer, but that was in scale 1:96. For scale 1:144 it might be a wee bit too large, but it would Show a clear riveted Skin structure, even when the paint is on later.

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for dropping in again Johann,

and for your kind appreciation...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed