SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Pete,

thank you for your nice comment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

what I have is a plastic kit Nils.........1:400 would be more of a feat.   I really like the contours of the stern keel......gonna look so cool when you get round to fleshing her out.   very interesting set up to be sure......and you sure started it off with a bang!  those props look really neat!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

thanks for your comment...

I have now smoothend down my shipyard building base, (my Little slipway) that has already been used for frames Setup on "Pamir" and "Heinrich Kaiser" hull , its just Long enough for KWdG as well. When all the self drawn Frames set up in well straking alignment way without much fairing of the contours and the stringers fit into the foreseen notches that will be another importent sequence in the hull making. I made good experience with a strong "spine" fitted above the keel, and due to the models length I`ll do this here as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils

This will be a beauty. I’m looking forward to a very interesting build and would like to thank you for sharing this experience.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you for your words Peter,

I`m very happy to share this with others and all who ever likes to stay tuned to this log will go through ups and downs with me, as the build sequences will have to be prepared as the minimum for the next stage requirements, and  as they come, in lack of neigther a building instruction nor a finished building plan. In the moment I`m confedent that I`ll stand it through

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi nils

Lovely stuff! Beautiful rendition in brass...fiddly too! You and Johann must have had the same metal work teacher!

Looking forward to lots more.

Cheers....mick

Thanks Mick,

It realy was tricky with the soldering, with the second prop it hapened once (only payed a second less attention to the heatflow than I should have.... per gas tourch) and all 4 blades dropped from the hub, as I was soldering on the last one, causing a delay and keeping cool to get everthing set up for a new try again

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Been there ...done that nils. Always tricky holding multiple parts for soldering. I recently invested in a couple of jewelers ceramic boards.....the ones with lots of holes in and some appropriately sized tapered steel pins. I may yet get some carbon wire as well . definite help withtricky soldering jobs.

Cheers....mick

Great start of a beautiful ship Nils.  Love to watch you work the details.  I'm still planning on building a model of my father-in-law's little freighter, the Musi of the KPM.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Many thanks to Piet, John and Mick,

and to all the "likes"......

Piet,

I remember we communicated about the "Musi", that will be very nice smaller coastal freighter, hopefuly you`ll get to starting it some day...

John,

correct, and the direction of rotation...., I would`nt mind putting them on the wrong side if I were only so far already (smile)

Mick,

yes I saw These ceramic hole-plates already and might be investing in one, seems to have much benefits when multiple parts soldering...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 3

Whilst the design work goes on, I`m looking for what material resources I still have laying around that can be used without buying new....

There are still 3 of those brass candle holders that will give nice pedestals for the model`s stand, they would be conform with the stands for my "Gorch Fock" and "Pamir", and perhaps the one or other odd wooden strips from the resources bin can be used within the hull making......The base plate for setting up the frames has already been prepared and smoothend to take the third ship built on it (my shipyard slipway)

Although fingers are itching to get the new hull under steam, there is the strong desire to complete my "HMS Pegasus" within due time, she is looking at me sadly all the time

post-3445-0-77944000-1432804438_thumb.jpg

need to spread out (just for a moment, otherwise I`ll be in for trouble) in the admiral`s washing an ironing kitchen

post-3445-0-09840000-1432804469_thumb.jpg

taken partionaly from historic documents from the web...

post-3445-0-47691100-1432804471_thumb.png

will probably do the rudder heel and the window out cut from brass. The section also shows the stagered lengths of the propshaft bearing supports

post-3445-0-59205800-1432804445_thumb.jpg

here the three left over brass candle holders, ( the threads on top will be cut off, the center drilled through)

post-3445-0-16398500-1477560875_thumb.png

post-3445-0-98997500-1432804462_thumb.jpg

fit M4 spindle and a "knock in" wood nut for anchoring the spindle in the ships reinforcement backbone, (20mm beech sqarebar)

post-3445-0-19918800-1432804449_thumb.jpg

here is my humble hoizontal "latheing" and vertical drilling station

post-3445-0-07368400-1432804453_thumb.jpg

I have two power machines, a grinding device for sharpening tools, and a multi belt/disc grinder

post-3445-0-71111700-1432804457_thumb.jpg

my wood bin, with the "leftovers"

post-3445-0-60979300-1432804460_thumb.jpg

this little room in our home basement I have occupied for the "rough" work, fortunately I have a second larger room for the more "clean" modeling

post-3445-0-45879700-1432804466_thumb.jpg

This is the base board I shall use for the new frame set up. The board where it is laying on, can be swiveled back 90° to be out of the way. The hight of this swivel-board is lower that the surrounding ones and has just the right hight for working putting the sewing machine on (when sail sewing)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

nice work area Nils.........you definitely have more toys than me  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks Popeye and Patrick,

Popeye,

my Little toolpark is realy nothing sofisticated, but still to date all ship model have somehow been built this way.....

Patrick,

I`m lucky to have two of the basement rooms in the house....

now I`ll better be cutting out the Frames and do a dry set up, I`m so curious if the hull contour will be straking well without Major adjustments

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 4

Today is keellaying day, ......

the base plate has been reinforced underneath, and is now absolutely flat, and first preliminary frame set up of 26 single removeable frames, to see how the contours are straking, and what amount oif fairing to the outer frame contours shall be necessary. Then the positions notches for the stringers will be checked resp. corrected, before they are cut out. Also the keel will be fitted in as well as the stern- and bow post areas. The strong "spine" can be clearly seen here. I`ll cut away many of the dead wood inside the frames, leaving only the convex deck beams and reinforcements where necessary, where visable decks will be fitted later on. The 6 mm dowels to resemble the propshafts will be replaced later with brass tubes. The different color of the frames is due to the use of leftover ply, I gathered over the years.

post-3445-0-31821300-1432912330_thumb.jpg

bottom side of reinforced baseplate

post-3445-0-43806900-1432912347_thumb.jpg

upper side, with pencil centerline and lines for frame-distances

post-3445-0-46369200-1432912351_thumb.jpg

the pile of frames

post-3445-0-26938900-1432912354_thumb.jpg

the admiral was so kind to hold the "shipyard"......

post-3445-0-66624300-1432912357_thumb.jpg

..... aft view

post-3445-0-21660600-1432912361_thumb.jpg

different ply, in color and thicknesses

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Crackers,

thanks for joining in on the KWdG build, and many thanks also for your lovely and kind complement which is much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Peter,

thank you for your nice comment......, I hope that one day it will turn out a little bit like your super KWdG museums model......

BTW... I sent you a PM on 27.05, have you read it ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Great job so far. I recall that you were concerned that some of the frames may need adjustments but you needed to have them assembled before you could really tell if that was the case. Now that your frames are assembled, do you think you need to do much adjustments to their shapes, or were they spot on?

Also, judging by the expression on your Admiral's face, I can tell that she was as proud as punch with what you've done so far. I would be as well!

Another thing that struck me was the complex shape of the aft frames, particularly the way they're shaped to compensate for the propeller shafts. I'd imagine that planking around there would be fun!

All in all, a major milestone reached!

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Patrick

Wow Nils, Looks like shes going together pretty fast . Fantastic work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks to Patrick, Pete, Edwin, Robin, Crackers,

and all the "likes"...

Patrick,

in generel the frames were spot on, except for 2 or 3 frames that did`nt come down flat on the base (because hooked up on the "backbone" squarebar. Should have seen that whilst preliminary mounting.  I will dismount, rework / adjust those. All other will take normal fairing of outside contours.

The planking of the stern areas will be an "experience" I know, but that makes out the spice in the soup

Pete,

many thanks, glad you like it, and stay tuned

Edwin,

Thank you for looking in, and you`re always welcome

Robin,

Thats a very nice complement I`ll pass on in the right direction, well appreciated

Crackers,

Thank you for the nice pic and your comment regarding to the ships history

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Frames,

dry- fit of parts and marking for the stringer positions. Horizontaly the stringers will follow the individual deck-levels, although the lower decks will not be fitted later.

To my relief the frame outer contours are straking so well, that slight fairing touch can be done when the stringers are already permanently fit on.

The keel and bowpost comprise four 5mm thick plankparts made from beech. The frames will have an 5 mm wide outcut on the bottom centerline, allowing the keel to be placed appr. 8mm further down, when the appropriate slotted keel is nearly flush with the frames

post-3445-0-77131900-1433088616_thumb.jpg

the keel will come down appr. further 8mm, when the frames also get slotted

post-3445-0-44351100-1433088621_thumb.jpg

the keel, when interlocked with the frames, will then touch the reinforcement squarebar

post-3445-0-07289400-1433088624_thumb.jpg

here the markings for the stringer notches can be seen

post-3445-0-40763900-1433088626_thumb.jpg

some of the ply-frames are only 1,5 mm thick, I had fear that they might be too flimsy, but the will be stiffened out by the stringers afterwards.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, Very nice , the set up looks great , beautiful work , she looks to be right on the money

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils,

I know this is way off topic; but please indulge me for a moment.

One of my other interests is "physical science" and I noticed in your ship title something familiar 'der Grosse'. Do you know if there is any relationship to the name of the Director of the Hayden Planetarium in NYC, Dr. Neil De Grass Tyson????

Again, I apologize for being way off target; but I just had to ask..

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Nils, Very nice , the set up looks great , beautiful work , she looks to be right on the money

Best Regards,

Pete

Many thanks Pete,

not familiar with the phrase.....if I guess right, you brought her in relation to Alan Jackson`s  lyric/song  " ....She`s right on the money....." ?

NIls

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,
I know this is way off topic; but please indulge me for a moment.
One of my other interests is "physical science" and I noticed in your ship title something familiar 'der Grosse'. Do you know if there is any relationship to the name of the Director of the Hayden Planetarium in NYC, Dr. Neil De Grass Tyson????
Again, I apologize for being way off target; but I just had to ask..
Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

Thank you for dropping in,

sorry to say... no, relationship to a NYC Planetarium director, The ship was named after the former German Kaiser Wilhelm 1.  in 1897, The adjective "der Grosse" is the German meaning for "the Great"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Ongoing framework.......

the frames shown in the pics before were all still plates without outcuts. Now nearly every frame will get some outcuts ( to allow access when fixing the stringers and later on the planking. Also all the notch-outcuts for the stringers are brought in.......

Also the reinforcement squarebar has become drilled borings  in three places for the stand`s spindles and the locking nuts

post-3445-0-40273600-1433250918_thumb.jpg

every frame is secured to the base with two srews (for easy removal, and bringing into position again)

post-3445-0-42488600-1433250921_thumb.jpg

the keel is now flush and interlocked with the frames

post-3445-0-75790600-1433250924_thumb.jpg

up to now no whether pins nor glue have been used on the framework (all only stuck together) . After the final check on all positions I will upply PA glue, to provide the strong hold

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Really looking forward to seeing this develop Nils, a beautiful ship.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)