SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Looking good, Nils.  I have my fingers crossed for you when you get to the propshaft area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks for your words Patrick and Mark,...

and all the "likes"

Patrick,

Oh, and I nearly forgot to insert the stb. and port bilgekeels, (got some aluninium flat material for the keels), before the roundings are planked. They are going to be "sinked" radial a bit into the Frames in midship area for secure hold

Mark,

I knew that that area will cause some headaches, I`ve seen one or two models of this ship on the web, and the builders managed to do that beautifuly, thats quite tempting and encouraging

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

John,

I thank you for your word, perhaps if I would have Talent in sculptering there would have been made some partial blocks carved out with sculpturers hammer an chissel, to be fitted in

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Patrick,

Oh, and I nearly forgot to insert the stb. and port bilgekeels, (got some aluninium flat material for the keels), before the roundings are planked. They are going to be "sinked" radial a bit into the Frames in midship area for secure hold

Nils

Hi Nils

Good luck with the bilge keels. Incidentally, I'm pretty super excited. Why? Because I just realised that this is actually the first build log of yours that I'll be able to follow from the very start of construction. For instance, I joined MSW when you were at least half way through your Pegasus build and your earlier ships were all finished. So, this gives me a good way of watching and studying every step of construction from a master craftsman!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Just came across your build log...fantastic work and execution.  I'll be following along.  Great job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you very much Patrick and Rob,

and the "likes"

Patrick,

for the bilge keels I cut off some of the Aluminium Strip  width, but when mounting and considering the planking thickness, I should have left the Strip in its original width, in order to get a good hold in the hull. So get a new Strip back to start Position and do it over...

Rob,

welcome on board, ist nice to have you viewing the log, I hope you  will further like the Progress, and thanks for your complement

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's coming on well Nils B) Just a suggetion,would it be easier to plank,then cut slots to insert the bilge keels into?This is common practice with working models,it allows you to properly fair the hull,then epoxy can be used inside the hull to secure the keels.Ideally they should protrude though the hull a few millimetres.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

She's coming on well Nils B) Just a suggetion,would it be easier to plank,then cut slots to insert the bilge keels into?This is common practice with working models,it allows you to properly fair the hull,then epoxy can be used inside the hull to secure the keels.Ideally they should protrude though the hull a few millimetres.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks for your tip / suggestion Nigel,

it is much appreciated..

I also thought about the commen way, but on the other hand these bilge keels being appr. 40 cm long will be made from flat aluminium strip, so the won`t brake off, if by accident (when handling the hull so many times during planking and later on metal-plating) the hull knocks agaist anything 

I wanted a safe anchoring into the 8 concerned Hull frames and do the outside planking around then. Fortunately there will not be much fairing necessary, plse. refer to enclosed handscetch...

cheers 

Nils

post-3445-0-13176600-1434733351_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very nice work Nils, she's really taking shape

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

this will be the version for inserting the bilgekeels......

Nils

post-3445-0-94183500-1434819827_thumb.jpg

reinforcement to the 8 frames concerned, and slotting with a metal-saw blade

post-3445-0-03624000-1434819835_thumb.jpg

aluminium flat 2 x 15 mm, raw and bent over the high side, and slotted "bilge keel"

post-3445-0-55841600-1434819841_thumb.jpg

the bilge keels and the frames bear slots that interlock, (will either glue-in with epoxy or high viscosity CA

post-3445-0-02774600-1434819844_thumb.jpg

holding a scrap piece of plank against the bilge keel, to check the remaining standover outside the hull

post-3445-0-27448600-1434819846_thumb.jpg

my "nasty" area, but I have to "face it like a man"....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

That looks like a good solution for the installation of the bilge keels. Once installed, they're going to be rock solid!

With respect to your "problem area", I've got no doubt that you'll not only face it like 'a man', but you'll also conquer it convincingly!

Looking forward to your next update.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick,

thanks for the good words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Johann,

this will be my second coal-fired steam ship (in actual built and launched before 1900). I love These heritage steam ships

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- I've wondered where you've gone, and now I've found you!  It's quite a shift to go from the 18th-century Pegasus to this sleek ocean liner, the KWdG.  I have just read through your log and am as impressed with your work here as I have been on your other build.  I spent half an hour apiece just admiring those propellers!  I can't wait to see your engineering knowledge and your building skills come together (with a good splash of imagination as well) on this beauty.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin,

welcome to my new Project, its nice to have you on board, and many thanks for your Kind comments.

In the Moment I`ll have to find a break to complete the "HMS Pegasus" as there is not so much to do on that Lady anymore, and of course the glass case for it.

For the new ship I had so much drive, just because I wanted to see if it would turn out as it appeared in my mind, and because I had neighther  proven build plan, nor intructions for doing it . You are quite right with your comment related to that "splash of Imagination", but I love to find Solutions that make me come nearer to my Imagination.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 8

starting with the geometry of the hinge mechanism of the underwater- rudder.....

Nils

post-3445-0-23970300-1435063078_thumb.jpg

first the obligatory handscetch....

post-3445-0-84763700-1435063046_thumb.jpg

the skeleton of the rudder bears the frame and will be sidewise cladded with brass sheet

post-3445-0-12667600-1435063050_thumb.jpg

the other part (flat post) goes to the sternpost. 

post-3445-0-82915700-1435063056_thumb.jpg

Here I pushed a 1 mm drill in as preliminary pivot-pin

post-3445-0-66622000-1435063060_thumb.jpg

The permanent fixed bilgekeels are mounted

post-3445-0-51268700-1435063068_thumb.jpg

four 13 mm planks are put on each side

post-3445-0-35508000-1435063073_thumb.jpg

will fit the raw, hinged rudder skeleton in place next, and then mount the tail cone filler pieces

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Patrick...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

planking looks really nice on there Nils.   the admiral one days asked me why I don't try to make my own planking.......I'm always getting basswood flat stock sheets.  I told her that it's because I don't have that kind of saw  ;)  {is that subtle enough of a hint}   too late for father's day though  :D  :D

I'm trying to get her over to the local hardware store  {Home Depot},  so I can show her.   going to be interesting how you'll do around the screw tunnels.  you could use flat stock fillers,  bent to shape.    I have no doubt that you will do well with them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

well Popeye,

in that case you need some strong arguments, for saving money, and for making the planks in the dimensions you need (thickness, width, length, etc...      ;)

added are some pics I shot under my carport, where I do the plank sawing now and then.

The electric circular hand saw has a blade with tungsten teethtips, and I mount everthing on my mobil work bench. I`m taking in account, that the automatic shut-off is disabled when I "pull the trigger" with this big clamp-peg I put on it, when it runs.

cheers,

Nils

post-3445-0-16931700-1435075504_thumb.jpg

the raw material for cutting the planks from are kept under my carport roof

post-3445-0-86533900-1435075485_thumb.jpg

the handsaw "converted" to a table saw (mounted from underneath)

post-3445-0-13330200-1435075489_thumb.jpg

The desired width of the planks is subject to the raw plank thickness chosen for cutting from

post-3445-0-60038300-1435075494_thumb.jpg

to activate the trigger I have to reach under the workbench

post-3445-0-48503500-1435075499_thumb.jpg

This clamp peg I put over the trigger in the saw`s handle (for safety reasons this ca`nt be recommended, utmost caution must be given during operation !!   :(  :o​ )

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Please be careful when using your high tech saw. I shudder when I see that arrangement.

But be confident - I actually used to know a carpenter who still had all his digits after years on the job (he only cut some tendons on one of the fingers). :)

Take care

Peter

Beautiful Job on those Rudders Nils, Shes taking shape at a very fast pace Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you very much - Peter - Pete -  David,

and all the "likes"...

Peter,

Thanks, I know, I`m not so happy with that Arrangement, therefore I take utmost concentration and care when operating it

Pete,

thanks for your remark, yes, I think the raw-hull will be done pretty fast. It will be faired and a nitro-Wood-bounder put on it, to get the Basic smooth surface for the metal plating Job later on

David,

I´m trying to get the hull the way it Looks like in those old dock photos

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Mounting rudder to the keel heel.....

Nils

post-3445-0-26367700-1435164610_thumb.jpg

the brass reinforcement is glued in place with Epoxy 2 component glue, the 4 brass anchors are additionaly put on

post-3445-0-85373400-1435164614_thumb.jpg

The long ends of the anchors will be clipped off inside the keel outcut

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed