SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Hi Rob,

the davits will be those old fashioned "lantern masts" swing out davits, if you wish, pls. refer to the pics in my post #1325 on page 45....

For the clinker-appeal boats I really have`nt made the final decision yet, but I am "going pregnant" with the cast resin methode, preferably by making each boat in two halves from moulds and plugs, including the seating interior, and alternatively closed boats with canvas cover. Because the boats are only 60 mm long, it neads some special treatment.  I`ll look into that when the bridge work is completed

Nils

status update :

still working on the bridge deck and integrating the upper stairs into the railing, and raw-planking the bridge platform. The footpoints of the upper stairs have become a grating for safety reasons...

Nils

DSCI4840.thumb.JPG.6d81b03bb7652bf9cbdc58f30faee9b9.JPG

DSCI4842.thumb.JPG.fbe7c2a5aa8861f7880c79c5d1fb9e0a.JPG

DSCI4843.thumb.JPG.933a6cfba5b6f8dce1b7a52874237b31.JPG

DSCI4844.thumb.JPG.9055d903613d81a24f90a51153ed0d93.JPG

DSCI4845.thumb.JPG.91ac0a5110ba42335a0c63ef9c7dc39e.JPG

DSCI4846.thumb.JPG.639fcd9aa8cee304105b7ada200a2f9d.JPG

15 minutes ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but bloody marvelous mate!

One question though, what is the reason why the landing at the bottom of the stairs is open? The one where the gratings is on.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Hi Greg,

thanks for your nice compliment,...

with ref to your question, I do`nt know if I understand it right......

so here a sample illustration, to see what you may mean.

The detail "A" is the open side of the landing, with only a small step on from the lower bridge deck. On the actual ship this might have been locked with a small chain because "access for crew only".

The deatail "B" is in the illustration is a short railing piece that protects persons from falling into the lower staircase from the side, leading downwards. This is not on my model yet, simply because I ran out of railing to make it, but I may make my own one.

Nils

58e4e180f1109_KWdG_brcke_oben_hinten_280509.jpg.fd6c557dd7fba95279b0c10666d6f6fe.jpg

here pic of a card model, borrowed from the web

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Are you saying your grating is an incorrect representation?

I would think you would want ventilation from the space below and if the grating was not present the air from below would be trapped under the awning.  Just a guess though.

Rob

Rob and Greg,

perhaps the term " grating" is / was a bit confusing, it is simply a framed grate mesh plate to avoid slipping out on possible wet surfaces (rain and rough weather). The officers come down the stairway usualy at quite some pace and also change direction 90° on the landing

The structure to the bottom side is ventilated from underneath anyhow....

Nils

Yes, the grating allows the water to drain out (onto the deck aft?) while keeping the landing of the ladderway dry.  You sometimes see gratings around the helm of a ship, laid onto a solid deck, purely for traction.  Also, wood is slightly less slippery than steel, at least in a time when you didn't have miracle paint finishes like today.

More beautiful work, Nils.  Just for your information, the English term for that type of boat davit is 'radial davit'.  I don't think I'd include the gratings at the bottom of the ladder unless you have evidence for them on the original ship - it would be a very unusual feature.

John

Many thanks Lawrence, Joel, Patrick and John,

for your nice comments, and to all the "likes" for clicking the button

Lawrence,

your comment is well appreciated, many thanks

Joel,

Thats the great thing with MSW, something for everybody....

Patrick,

Thanks so much for your words, there were several things along the way I could have done better..., where recognized possible solutions were saved up for the next time if feasible, but trust that is our all experience...

John,

those grates are glued on with CA, so removing them would leave some traces on the wood below......

Nils

Small update...

am just making the front panel of the bridge after the card template and filed out the 5 square windows for  celluloid glassing. There was the question as how to do the glassing from the rear side CA would "frost" the celluoid and PVA would be too smeary during mounting. I came up with a solution that requires minimum space and can take up a stipe of celluloid shifted in horizontaly and directly on the rear panel surface, by soldering 6 mini-braces that leave a space of 0,5 mm to the panel surface

Nils

DSCI4849.thumb.JPG.bdd037edfd2ee539c8a9b50175c9ecd7.JPG

DSCI4852.thumb.JPG.9aff5be2627f181ee74a9c7fbc39782b.JPG

Hello Nils, just caught up with all your added pieces since my last visit. Wow, it's been 5 weeks since then.  Here I am ogling your masterful work for hours, just so much to look at.  She's just like a yacht, so graceful.  What a joy to look at. Thanks for sharing all the "how do you that" stuff, very helpful.

Cheers, 

Just a little side note.

This ship is noted as being the first with four funnels.  She indeed held the Blue Ribbon for a while.  It seems the folks wanting to emigrate would so much rather sail on a ship with four funnels as being a 'better ship' that some ships were built with a false fourth funnel to attract ticket sales.  As an example, the fourth funnel on Titanic was used to exhaust gases from the galleys.  An additional function on Titanic was to improve her righting arm by virtue of the weight of the funnel tube high up on the structure.

Thank you very much Denis, Piet, Joel, Patrick and Greg,

for your nice words and comments,

Denis,

am pleased you like the fitting out....

Piet,

thanks for catching up, I saw you had a real intensive look at the recent posts, thanks for your words..

Joel,

yes, agree, it was probably a fashion of the designers to mount 4 funnels, where 3 would have done the job as well..

Patrick,

I had some alternatives in mind for doing the "glassing", but this one was easy and effective, and because there is sight into the sidewise open wheelstand I did`nt want it to look too bulky /clumsy

Greg,

appreciate your kind words, many thanks for your compliment...

Nils

small update :

installed the bridge front, the wheelhouse-roof platform and its railing, as well a the access ladders thereto. the further bridge front bulwarks and the wing cabinets are under contruction.

Nils

DSCI4855.thumb.JPG.5d0c526fd6de08c2fc649483bee0fece.JPG

passengers on the promenade deck...

DSCI4867.thumb.JPG.7474403b2f21c47bd83e9abed57a8d03.JPG

DSCI4872.thumb.JPG.028f4a863fd8759efac3fc399e2782f0.JPG

There is no surplus space on the midships line

DSCI4873.thumb.JPG.29dc13544e124a1242a2ee9feeae5b02.JPG

DSCI4875.thumb.JPG.76a6e75c30084519c2100f8ec6d96f9b.JPG

DSCI4870.thumb.JPG.43710cc4af6968c7906fd5a54df6398f.JPG

DSCI4876.thumb.JPG.ba49612e13153d923cf21997f95f4720.JPG

DSCI4877.thumb.JPG.c66cab27043eafac3dd9d1bff2dd849d.JPG

0,3 mm thick brass sheet will be shaped to the wing cabinets of the bridge