SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Beautiful and mind-blowing work Nils.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

12 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Nils  

Sweet work, as always.  KWdG will make a wonderful and beautiful addition to your home.

For situations like adding the molding to the bridge, I find that this method works for me:  First, I shape the piece and dry fit it.  When I am satisfied with the fit I clamp it into place with small clips.  Once perfectly aligned, I tack it in place by introducing thin cyano in a few selected spots.  It runs behind the piece by capillary action and any excess I quickly blot away with a light swipe of paper towel.   When that first gluing is set, I remove the clips and check alignment again.  If all is still OK I feed thin cyano all along the edge of the piece, blotting as before.  No mess, no smeared paint, no glued fingertips.

Hope this is useful for you.

Dan

Many thanks Dan,

for your nice words,

a good description of the process, I`ll save this in my mind for next feasible application.... It reminds me a little bit of soft-soldering (unpainted parts) with the mini gas torch with ref to clean capillary action and fixing /holding parts in place preliminary...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Many thanks for your nice words and comments, Jeff, John, Greg and Piet,

Jeff,

I like to work with brass and also with wood, thats why sometimes the combination is used..

John,

there seem to be a lot of identical (technical, nautical) terms used in both languages...

Greg, 

agree, I am sometimes surprised that the early merchant steamer sailors and officers were so much familiar with the terms...., they actualy used them, and the sometimes international crew members well understood...

Piet,

I saw you had good catch up with the build, thanks for looking in again, pleased you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

12 hours ago, MESSIS said:

!

Thanks Christos,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update :

here we have the captain, just behind the the stb. bridge bulwark. He is proudly watching his baby plough the Atlantic, as the bow wake browses by. This little figurine, together with the gentleman and the two lady passengers in conversation two decks below, I`m proud to posess. They are a gorgious gift from MSW member "TLC", who saw that I was on the look for certain figurines in scale 1:144 or 1:160 N-gauge, specialy  the captain, and he so kindly merged the make of these with a young Bulgarian artist, who was producing miniature dolls and dollhouse articles. She herewith, first time attempted, custom made,  to do a long time searched for captain for the KWdG, and I know she did a top job on it.

Many thanks again at this ocasion to "TLC" and the young artist...

Now is the time to have these figurines boarding and placed on board at exponated positions.

Also today I received the etched brass wheels from "M.Z. Modellbau", Manfred Zinneckers webshop and they are correct in size and look top, so the telemotors could be completed, installed, and the hydraulics connected thereto. The bridge crew is now complete and doing its job...

Nils

DSCI4918.thumb.JPG.1957cf553b0ff58d61bda2d885bf3c30.JPG

Captain in scale 1:144 with moustarch and in his Norddeutscher Lloyd uniform....

DSCI4914.thumb.JPG.c39d7238f28b7012ddf9fc8bf433080b.JPG

the litte group of passengers, two ladies in their 1900- 1910 fashions in conversation with the gent at the railing on the forward promenade deck

DSCI4932.thumb.JPG.72ff265c63a56a1e32d4f2f27538fc6a.JPG

one of the two telemotors after completion...

DSCI4933.thumb.JPG.718705e1911e36ad081a0542c73b2aeb.JPG

the little Revell color can for scaling

DSCI4938.thumb.JPG.233bf915779cc1907a054ac03de91d47.JPG

the nautical crew at work, hopefully they bring her safe to the port of destination

DSCI4940.thumb.JPG.6901977be6f8696b15d1a1c5aa2617bd.JPG

DSCI4941.thumb.JPG.516b395b37478b7a2a7a4d8099f80987.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

WOW...............................

58fa49bb017ca_Awesome001.jpg.0b22214b41c17bc66e687240c7c6e429.jpg

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Wonderful...and I appreciate that you placed the crew in working positions...not just skylarking around.....^_^

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

5 hours ago, Gerhardvienna said:

WOW...............................

58fa49bb017ca_Awesome001.jpg.0b22214b41c17bc66e687240c7c6e429.jpg

Regards

Gerhard

Yeah - what Gerhard said!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your words and appreciations,

Gerhard, Kees, Rob, Grant, Patrick, Greg and Johann

and all the "likes"....

The last days it was only progress in tiny bits, but that also needs to be done to a certain degree, am pleased you like it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

6 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

The last days it was only progress in tiny bits, but that also needs to be done to a certain degree, am pleased you like it..

Nils

It`s just that tiny bits that make the model a real ship! The details bring life to a model....................................

Best regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

23 minutes ago, Gerhardvienna said:

It`s just that tiny bits that make the model a real ship! The details bring life to a model....................................

Best regards

Gerhard

Thank you very much Gerhard,

words, much appreciated....

a helmsman is climbing the "monkey island" for the feeling of freedom under the wide ocean sky and calm weather, and is preparing to steer the 14,300 tons and 31,000Psi here from this point for a while...

Nils

DSCI4948.thumb.JPG.c2ffe6e56a35fe6fdb0712ec7e7a4b16.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

It always amazes me that even these large modern(Kinda) ships still had flying bridges.....out in the weather.

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Just when I thought you are nearing completion, you pull another fast one. More beautiful details, and an unexpected fully fitted "monkey island". Any other surprises ...? Lovely work on this majestic ship, she isn't only named after an emperor, but she even looks emperical

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Many thanks Rob and Carl,

for your comments....

Rob,

agree, must have been lousy cold and uncomfortable out there, especialy in winter or during a gale or blizzard. But I think there was the possibility to drive the ship from the inner closed wheelhouse, just like later on the Titanic the crew also had that alternative..

Carl,

thanks for the words,

no more big surprises in the near future, except for the missing two guy wires on each side for the first funnel. They can be put on now that the bridge is complete and these do`nt

hinder access for mounting parts any more.

Its about time now to get the ships boats and davits under way, it will take quite some time to do that sequence...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I'm just too blown away by this ship to say more than "Wow".... and then sit here and stare some more.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Nils. Monkey island eh.  In Dutch that'll be apen eiland. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you very much Mark and Piet,

for your kind compliments, its nice to know  you are watching the progress with interest....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I sailed a ship that was built in the 1960s. HMCS PRESERVER. She had a pilotage bridge from which we could post lookouts at sea. In warm sunny weather it was beautiful. When the weather was not so clement, we simply remained inside. Lookouts outside though, always kept the lookouts outside.

4 minutes ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

I sailed a ship that was built in the 1960s. HMCS PRESERVER. She had a pilotage bridge from which we could post lookouts at sea. In warm sunny weather it was beautiful. When the weather was not so clement, we simply remained inside. Lookouts outside though, always kept the lookouts outside.

Hi Sailor,

that a nice rememberance, I guess one always treasures beautiful moments in life...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 58

Davits, boats.....

started with the production of 40 davits. The building of the boats will take some more time, but the first hand scetch has already been brought to paper, to give the mind something to think about.... (changes pending...)

Nils

DSCI4962.thumb.JPG.0c62d0824fb4340176683299724a76f4.JPG

DSCI4965.thumb.JPG.afe616b1af594192a306bc6111a88080.JPG

first lot of the radial davits

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

held in your fingers Nils,  one gets a sense of how small the structure is.......some really great progress!    the added figures look super positioned in their rolls on board...kudos to such a fine gift ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 22.4.2017 at 7:25 PM, Mirabell61 said:

Rob,

agree, must have been lousy cold and uncomfortable out there, especialy in winter or during a gale or blizzard. But I think there was the possibility to drive the ship from the inner closed wheelhouse, just like later on the Titanic the crew also had that alternative..

Hello Nils,

of course it will be an uncomfortable place for the helmsman. But for long times there were no windshield weephers at the windows of the wheelhouses. In storm with rain, spray and fogged windows it was  almost impossible to see outside the way fx in harbours and other small waterways. Even with freighters and ferries from the 80th the outboards controls were still on the bridge cams in the open.

best regards hartmut

on the : Staatenjacht Utrech

At last finished:

Gianna a Pinco Genovese

HMS Agamemnon

Nice work on the lifeboats and Davits Nils, I like the look of the navigation hardware as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thank you very much Denis Hartmut and Michael,

for your nice comments,

Also thanks to all the "likes" for clicking on...

Denis,

that scale surley is quite an ambitious one to tackle, sometimes the cruel close up pics show up every little detail that could have been done more accurate, and I did`nt even  notice until I saw the pic...

Hartmut,

I can imagine the rough side of life those seamen were facing in the early steamship days

Michael,

Thanks for your words, thats about what I can do in that scale. Love that compass you are doing for your pilot cutter

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work Nils.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thank you very much Piet,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed