Cutter for HMS Vulture by Dan Vadas - Small - FINISHED

Hi all,

I have started work on the Cutter for my model of HMS Vulture (link in my signature below for those who haven't seen her) and decided to make a separate Build Log of the project.

Some time ago I purchased the Timbering Set for this model from Admiralty Models. Timber in the set was cut by HobbyMill who are no longer in production, so I don't know if the Set is still available. EDIT - It's not.

The "kit" includes a resin plug to which the frames are temporarily fixed until the boat takes shape. There are NO plans or instructions included - this "kit" is even more in the way of Scratchbuilding than the ship itself is. Here's a pic of the "kit" :

Timbering Set 002.jpg

There are 5 packs of timber (not sure of the type) ranging in thickness from 0.031" to 0.1" for things like the Keel, Transom, Gunwale and Thwarts. There are also 2 packs of Holly - one is 0.031" x 0.031" for the Frames, the other is a sheet of 0.015" thick for the Planking. All the timber has been milled to HobbyMill's exacting standards and looks to be of excellent quality. There also seems to be a lot more timber than I'll need - probably enough to make TWO Cutters if I don't waste any :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Looks challenging ... I'll enjoy this with your prowess ... no need for a chair .. I'll watch over your shoulder

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Definitely interested in seeing these take shape Danny, the resin formers are a great idea.  Shame its no longer available.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'll be watching too!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Alright!  I've got to pull up a stool too, while it's still pretty close to ring-side! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome guys :) .

I remarked earlier on that there were no Instructions for making this boat.

Thanks go to David Antscherl who emailed me the complete set :) . He'd pulled the Instructions from the Admiralty Models site when the Timbering set was no longer available.

I don't know how I'd have got on without them - there are 19 pages of beautifully written instructions, complete with pics and plans. I expected nothing less :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks Russell.

First job is to get the Plug ready. This comes in 3 pieces, two hull halves and a removable piece in the middle to enable it to be removed from the framing later on. I drilled two 1.2mm holes through all three pieces whilst holding the whole thing together in the vise. Then I inserted two lengths of brass wire to keep everything in line :

Plug 001.jpg

Plug 002.jpg

I gave the plug a light sand to remove any lumps and bumps. Due no doubt to some limitations in the casting process the grooves for the frames weren't perfect, so I used a narrow chisel blade to scrape them out :

Plug 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

the plug alone looks like it would be quite handy.   is there any places where they might be available?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Dan,

I'll follow you log with great interest. Do you also build the other boats?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I had the pleasure of taking Admiraltys course on building the cutter. There is enough wood for two models. As I recall, there was a problem with the top height of the plug. It wasn't too big a deal but easier to fix now than later. Enjoy!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Danny,

I started the cutter, and get back to it when ever I come to a stopping point on the Echo Section.  It's small, so when I'm in the mountains I can take it with me.  Not power tools necessary.   I'm sure you'll have yours completed by the time I turn around.  That will help me a great deal when it comes time to get the frames in.

Maury

Thanks for dropping by Greg, Popeye, Christian, Toni and Maury.

the plug alone looks like it would be quite handy.   is there any places where they might be available?

Perhaps Admiralty Models may still have some?

Do you also build the other boats?

I might build a 2nd Cutter for the fun of it as a separate model, but I'm only going to fit one onto Vulture.

As I recall, there was a problem with the top height of the plug.

Anything more specific about the problem Toni? I'd like to know before going much further, as I'm about to put the backbone into the plug.

Cheers, Danny

Keel

The Keel assembly consists of 6 parts - the Keel itself, the Stem, the Apron, the Sternpost, the Sternpost Knee and the Transom.

A rabbet is cut in the length of the keel. I used an Xacto knife and a straight-edge to cut this. The Xacto was also used to cut the rabbets into the stem. I managed to cut both of them without actually breaking either off-cut (just to see if I could :D ) :

Keel 002.jpg

The Apron is 2" scale inches wider than the stem. This was cut with the scroll saw :

Keel 004.jpg

The Sternpost is also rabbeted, and the cutout for the rudder pintle and strap have been cut in :

Keel 006.jpg

The keel assembly :

Keel 007.jpg

After some minor cleaning up the Transom is glued on :

Keel 009.jpg

I found a problem with the length of the plug and the plans - the plug is 5mm too long! I had to adjust the length of the keel to suit. This is now a 18'9" cutter instead of 18' :) .

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny

As I said before, looking great! Pardon my ignorance, what is the scale you are using? It looks quite small.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I think it would need to be 1:48 scale Greg as it's being made for the Vulture.  ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Here is the link to my cutter.  Clinker planking was new for me.  David's suggestion was to plank without frames on the plug and add them later.

Maury

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7678-18-cutter-by-maurys-scale-148-small/?hl=%2Bcutter+%2Bmaury

As I recall, the height of the sheer was incorrect.  When I get back home later this week I will look at my plug.  Greg should also remember the problem.  I would check the height of the plug against the plans.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

The resin plug issues are pretty typical for most resin cast kits. The molds are soft and rubbery, so the dimensions can vary by small fractions. Every rolling stock kit I've ever worked on had a lot of cleanup, truing and squaring. Check against accurate plans, said the novice to the masters. :o:)

Request permission to watch one of the masters. :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Danny,

Does you plug have faint plank markings on it?  Mine had them on one side only, which I carefully copied to the other side.

Maury

Thank you for commenting Greg (yep, 1:48 scale), George, Jan, Maury, Toni, Druxey and Ken.

You're doing a very good job on your Cutter Maury. I have your Build Log open as I'm working on mine - you've already saved me a couple of times :D . Yes, my plug has the planking marks. Instead of marking the other side I'm cutting two planks at a time - the 2nd should follow the line of the 1st.

Druxey - my plug was a whole 5mm longer than the plans - I had to modify my keel to suit as I didn't want to muck up the lines.

Ken - permission granted :D .

Cheers, Danny

Planking

As suggested in the instructions I've planked the hull of the cutter without the ribs - they'll go in later as most of them would come off the planking when the hull is removed from the plug. This pic was taken with a couple of runs left to do. I'm using Tamiya masking tape to hold the planks in position while they dry :

Planking 001.jpg

The cutter removed from the plug. It came out very easily :) :

Planking 002.jpg

Some pics of the outside. The planks need a "rolling" bevel both fore and aft to fit to the stem and transom :

Planking 003.jpg

Planking 004.jpg

Planking 005.jpg

Planking 006.jpg

There was very little excess glue inside the hull. These pics were taken before I started any cleanup :

Planking 007.jpg

You can see a couple of wedges in the bow which I inserted to ensure a tight fit to the plug. Isopropyl alcohol made removal of them easy :

Planking 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

You make that look so easy, Danny   And it came out looking great!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)