Cutter for HMS Vulture by Dan Vadas - Small - FINISHED

Thanks George, Mark, Russell (you didn't have to wait long :D ) and Janos :) .

Ribs

I used the plug to form the 1/32" square ribs, once again using Tamiya tape to hold them in shape while they dried. The Tamiya tape holds onto the resin plug very well, and is easy to apply using the tape holder/cutter. The tape is 1/4" wide :

Ribs 001.jpg

A couple of hair clips hold the rib in position whilst the glue dries :

Ribs 002.jpg

The aftmost rib. The tops of the ribs will be trimmed when they are all fitted :

Ribs 003.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Danny,

Been following along from the back row. To echo what all above have already said...just gorgeous work.

I also just want to say thank you for posting this method. Exactly what this newbie needed as a guide as I try to scratch out a ships boat to replace what came in my kit.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

G'day Danny

I wouldn't expect any more from you than an excellent job. I wasn't disappointed! So tiny yet a huge effort on your part to do an outstanding job.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

that didn't take long!  Now I know how to finish mine properly.

Maury

Good work Danny,

mounting the ribs after "unplugging" is a good alternative way, trust it is the cleaner way....

great looking

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

super job on the ship's boat Danny....looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Nigel, Greg, Maury, Nils and Popeye :) .

The ribs have all been installed, and also the Keelson. I'm in the process of fitting the Risings which support the Thwarts (seats) :

Risings 001.jpg

Risings 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Next jobs were the Fore and Aft Platforms. Card templates were made for both :

Fore Platform 001.jpg

The first plank of the fore platform. The glue has just been applied and not yet cleaned up :

Fore Platrform 002.jpg

A pic of the fore platform at a later stage of the build :

Fore Platform.jpg

The aft platform. The Knees have also been fitted in this pic, but I later removed them to fit the stern sheets (seats) :

Aft Platform.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thwarts

The Thwarts are next. The central one is fitted with the clamp that holds the mast, and a step is fitted to the keelson below it :

Thwarts 002.jpg

Thwarts 003.jpg

The Stern Sheets and Knees :

Thwarts 004.jpg

The upper fore Platform and Breasthook in the bow :

Thwarts 005.jpg

There are three eyebolts and rings fitted, one each in the stem and sternpost and one amidships. These are the smallest ones I've made so far - 0.35mm wire, the ring is 1mm inside diameter :

Eyebolt and Ring.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Gunwales

I cut the gunwales from a single piece each side after first tracing around the upper hull. A compass was used to get the inner edge parallel. It is 2.5mm wide :

Gunwales 001.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in these pics, but I've scribed a small moulding into the outer edge :

Gunwales 002.jpg

Gunwales 003.jpg

Masking tape was used to hold the gunwale down while the glue dried :

Gunwales 004.jpg

The completed gunwales :

Gunwales 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Really nice progress, Dan. It looks so easy, if you work on this parts. But I know it is not easy. This is a really nice model of it's own.

Do you plan also to build the pinnace?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Danny,

As usual your workmanship is impeccable. You continue to raise the bar!

I've been trying to understand the "rolling bevel". I've been staring at the pics for 15 minutes and am still trying to get my head around it. It's important to me since I'm planning on scratch build of a Glouchester Mackeral Seine boat which will be clinker planked as well. Thanks.

Best, John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi Danny,

As usual your workmanship is impeccable. You continue to raise the bar!

I've been trying to understand the "rolling bevel". I've been staring at the pics for 15 minutes and am still trying to get my head around it. It's important to me since I'm planning on scratch build of a Glouchester Mackeral Seine boat which will be clinker planked as well. Thanks.

Best,

John

I hope I understand correctly - if not, I would appreciate having my error pointed out.

As I understand it, a 'rolling bevel' means that the bevel on the planks is not fixed to a specific angle, but gradually changes from none mid-ship to almost 90 degrees at bow and stern - hence it is rolling along the edge of the plank?

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Thanks very much for the kind replies Christian, Greg, George, Johann, John and Highlander. They are much appreciated :) .

Christian - no, I won't be building the Pinnace.

Johann - that's some seriously good work you are doing on your Longboat :) .

John - It took me a while to understand the purpose of the Rolling Bevel as well ;) .

Highlander nearly got it right, except that the bevel only rolls for the last couple of (scale) feet from the bow and stern. Picture the Rabbet - it's a parallel groove the thickness of the planks, whereas the clinker planking overlaps each plank by a couple of (scale) inches. As the plank approaches the bow (or stern) it needs to transition from Clinker to Carvel, hence the "Rolling Bevel". The diagrams below may help explain how it works - they are copied from the Cutter Instructions written by David Antscherl :

Rolling Bevel.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you John - I had an idea you may have been lurking on this build :D .

Russell - I was only quiet on the computer. It was doing it's "hissy-fit" thing again for the past week or so, making posting very difficult. I've actually finished the Cutter, more posts are about to follow.

Regarding the "1mm" ring - I wrapped the wire around a 1mm drill to roll it round. The drill bit is only a cheapie and actually measures 0.098mm :D .

Cheers, Danny

Rudder and Tholes

Here's a pic of the Rudder. The hinge straps are paper coloured with wood stain. The hinges themselves are non-existent, the rudder is simply glued to the transom :

Rudder.jpg

The Tholes are the period equivalent of rowlocks. I made the support braces using my "mass production" method - most of the shaping work was done on the Byrnes saw, the final rounding done was done with needle files :

Tholes 001.jpg

Tholes 002.jpg

Tholes 003.jpg

Tholes 005.jpg

Tholes 006.jpg

Tholes 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Oars

I made the oars from English Box. The Byrnes thicknesser and sander did most of the work, the rounded middle section was done in a similar manner to shaping masts and yards. The first pic shows the oars before any hand finishing started.

Oars 002.jpg

Finished 002.jpg

The square thicker section near the handgrip acts as a counterweight to make rowing easier.

Cheers, Danny

Finished

The Cutter is finally finished. It's taken me just under 3 weeks to build.

Finished 003.jpg

Finished 004.jpg

Finished 005.jpg

Finished 006.jpg

Finished 007.jpg

Finished.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Magnificent Danny!!  A beautiful cutter for your beautiful Vulture!!  Well done!!   :dancetl6:

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Dan

love the build

re the oars

we called them sweeps on the 32' cutters and 27' whalers back in the 70's

not sure if that is a relatively new term or not

the blades had a definite curvature to them... once again that could be a newer thing

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

G'day Danny

Astonishing piece of craftsmanship on the cutter. Like your normal standard, it's second to none!

My jaw is so saw, looking at your work. I can't keep my mouth close with amazement.

Btw what's size of saw blade do you use and how many teeth?

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

That is a sweet looking little cutter, Danny.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)