San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Amazing, Sherry and very instructive.  What kind of paper are you using?

Ed

Probably paper for a....

wait for it, and I really can't believe I am saying this,

but

Paper from a Canon Copier?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

:D :D :D

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

:D  :P  :D .  I can't believe you said it either!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank-you Wayne, Michael and Ed!

Michael: Yes, I am a bit of a pack rat. We have a working floor model gramophone, and unless you buy tungsten tipped or fibre needles, then you can only use the needle once or twice at most. The steel tip dulls and rounds, thus making the groove in the record wider if used multiple times.

Ed: I would love to be able to say that I spent hours researching and sourcing the best of papers, but I confess to using what I had on hand. Please see the next reply for the answer...

Wayne: :D  :D  :D  :D Close......paper from a HP copier. I'm tempted to buy a Canon copier just so I can use your line!!!

Also have to add that I wish it was a canon copier because I'm getting quite weary of making them individually.  :D

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hey Sherry, just a thought on the narrow strips to make them follow the taper of the barel.  Cut them in a curve, they'll follow the taper and wind on straight.  Trial and error on how much of a curve but it doesn't take much.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Also have to add that I wish it was a canon copier because I'm getting quite weary of making them individually.  :D

Sherry, you shouldn't have said it either.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 5 months later...

Finally, a long overdue update! I started out well with photos of each step and then as life got busy the photos fell by the way. The last few pictures are of each completed piece without process pictures. 

I experimented with a few different materials for the stern lanterns, but finally settled on card. The lanterns could not be solid because of the fiber-optics that I had to feed up through the tiny brass tubing and into the lanterns. This was a very tricky process due to the tight fit and bends. I'll try to add some pictures in the next day or so with the lanterns "lit".

post-167-0-93419400-1435885991_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-80300000-1435885996_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-24808000-1435886001_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-75563100-1435886006_thumb.jpg

Some more items completed.

post-167-0-47661100-1435886011_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-74801000-1435886026_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-35597400-1435886031_thumb.jpg

And placed on deck. I also completed the first of three sets of spiral staircases.

post-167-0-84232800-1435886036_thumb.jpg

I also managed to make and place some of the decorative pieces and dolphins.

post-167-0-84683700-1435886042_thumb.jpg

Last, but not least, a shot of the stern so far and profile. 

post-167-0-50565900-1435886081_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-79859300-1435886046_thumb.jpg

Sherry

See above!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Extra!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Lovely work, as always, Sherry.  Very impressive lanterns.

Ed

she looks super Sherry........love the way you made the lanterns  :)     really dresses her up!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Greetings Sherri,

Elegant work on your San Felipe. However your Spanish version was built in the late 1670s - too late to have been in the Spanish Armada (1588). There was a San Felipe de Portugal, galleon, in the Armada. In addition, the Portuguese had another San Felipe in service about the time of the Armada - she was a carrack, which was a merchant ship. See book entitled The Armada by Garrett Mattingly. Others may have brought this to your attention, but your site is so popular that I couldn't read all the posts.

wq3296

Glad to see you back, your fine work has been missed.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank-you to everyone for the words of encouragement, and to everyone that hit the like button! 

Edwin: WoW, thanks!  :)

Augie: See above!  :rolleyes:

Michel: Thanks!

Nenad: Extra thank-you!

Patrick: Ok, now I'm starting to blush.

Grant: Nice to be back!

Ed: Would love to do a larger scale model sometime to add even more detail - 

maybe then the lanterns could be metal or wood.

Popeye: The "dress up" parts are some of the most enjoyable parts on the model to make!

Wq3296: Please refer to these posts: answer1 and answer2. Now I'm just leaving the title as is out of mischief!  :)

Jparsley: Well, far from perfect, but I am pleased with her.

Bob: Just wish I had more time to spend in the shipyard. I had forgotten how much I love this hobby until I returned!!!

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Beautiful work, Sherry.  Every time I see an update, I'm in awe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You're doing a magnificent job on her Sherry. I just happened across this build and I'm amazed at the level of detail you're achieving in this scale. Very nice!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Sherry, that's an exquisite model. You've set the bar very high for the rest of us duffers (well, me, anyway - from what I've seen there are so many amazingly skilled, patient and painstaking modellers out there in MSW land that I sometimes wonder if my own efforts will be up to the mark. Still, one can but try).

Steven

Thank-you George! This scale has proven to be a challenge at times.

Thank-you as well Steven! Definitely keep trying! I have a sneaking suspicion that your work is better than you think. We all seem to be far too self critical. As long as you are enjoying the journey, that's what counts - bonus is you get a ship model in the end.

Sherry