San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Robbyn: Thank-you! I saw your treenails and they look great! Obviously there are a number of methods that work well.
Some things look just fine simulated while others don't. I'm thinking, for example, shiny sparkly things! Definitely want the real thing there! :P  :D

Anja: Thank-you for your generous comment! :)  

Michael: Thank-you for the support and the kind comments - it's much appreciated! :)  I love the look of a fully rigged ship, but as you said it is an enormous challenge!

Popeye: Thank-you as well for the support and encouraging comments! I have this habit of starting at the top instead of the logical process of starting at the bottom and working up. My husband is so used to it now, he recently asked if my next build would be "the real thing" and "should we move closer to the water so I could launch it when it's finished?" :rolleyes:  :D  :D

Sjors: Thank-you for the kind comment! :) 
The deck planks are birch, which is too light coloured for my liking, so I will be staining it with 'honey maple'. That way it will have a little colour, but not too much. Then I will put on satin polyurethane.
For the final hull planking I have walnut wood, so it will just have a coat of satin polyurethane.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

This is probably so clear to most builders, but I'm a little 'stumped' on this :huh: :

I'm trying to figure out where the great cabin would be on this ship, and the proper names for these decks.

In the second photo attachment, deck 1 is the main deck, 2 is the half deck?, 3 is the quarter deck? and 4 is the poop deck? It was easy on my Mayflower since there was one less deck. :P

I thought just below deck 4 might be the location for the great cabin, but there are no doors or windows at the stern for that deck...possible chart room?

Just below deck 3 there are elaborate doors and windows at the stern and side for that level....possible great cabin?

Any help appreciated...I'll also post this question in Building, Framing, Planking etc. section.

post-167-0-24106000-1369958151.jpg

post-167-0-46735900-1369958153_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Hi Sherry

If I understand the layout of the HMS Victory, the Great Cabin ( or Captain's Cabin) was located at the end of the main gun deck and above the officer's cabin.

If the San Felipe is similar, that would put the Great Cabin as the one with the balcony and the officer's cabin would have the covered balcony.

This is my guess....

Steve

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

Hey Sherry

Well the replies are just pouring in! LOL I thought you would have had more of a response than this?

What are your thoughts on the Great Cabin? 

I'm surprised how quiet it has been lately....no popcorn, coffee or ratline comments? What's going on? Did Europe get swallowed up by a giant Kraken?

I'm hobbled right now after surgery to my toe....love the Tylenol #3s though....smooth like a fine wine! :)

Cheers

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

I would say something, but I don't have an answer to the question at all. You are right, I think you can definitely tell summer is upon us, it had gotten rather quiet of late.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hello Sherry,

I agree with Steve, the captain's cabin should be the one with the open balcony so he and his sweetie can sit there in their rocking chairs and sip mint juleps and munch popcorn  :rolleyes:

Ref the deck colors, please don't make too dark, even honey maple can make it too dark for decks.  I like to see some contrast too and with the walnut for the hull planking that should look great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

ROFL!!!! :D

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

Interesting discussion... I would have thought it was the other way around..  The lower one would be the Great Cabin, used by the Captian when no admiral was on board.  The upper would then be used by the Captain when there was an admiral on board.  But I could be wrong.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Interesting discussion... I would have thought it was the other way around..  The lower one would be the Great Cabin, used by the Captian when no admiral was on board.  The upper would then be used by the Captain when there was an admiral on board.  But I could be wrong.

So when the cat is away all the mice move up?  Something about that doesn't sound quite right.  Might have depended on who was Admiral.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

sorry sherry - i read the above post and just spent the last 2 hours photo copying all sorts of stuff for you

WRONG SHIP

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Sherry,

The deck marked #4 is over what was called the Poop Royale. This was used on French and Spanish ships as accommodation for the ships Pilots and Sailing Masters. On English ships it was known as the Topgallant Poop and was originally where the Ships Trumpeters lived. 

Dave :dancetl6:

Hey Sherry

In my humble opinion...under deck #2 and at the rear of deck #3 should be the Captain's cabin (Great Cabin), the one with fancy doorson the bulkhead  and windows and balcony at stern.

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

Hi Sherry

I agree with Steve,I would go for the great cabin,being the one with the upper balcony.If nothing else,judging by the windows,this is the one with the most headroom.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank-you everyone for the responses! It's really appreciated!

Steve: My guess was that the great cabin was under #3 too, but I wasn't sure. It seems that everyone, basically, is in agreement.

Well the replies are just pouring in!

LOL. Suddenly I did receive some responses - I think you started something!

Robbyn: I know what you mean about summer - too many jobs and not enough time, especially for model building!!! :(

Piet: I agree with Steve...LOL.
I agree with you on keeping the deck light. The thing is, I had birch veneer on hand which is very, very light in colour. I still had some deck planks left from my Mayflower kit and compared - the birch looks almost white in comparison. I only used one coat of honey maple and didn't wait long to wipe it off. I'm quite happy with the result. I like the contrast too and can't wait to put the walnut planking on her.

Mark: Interesting thought...I'm sure any Captain, back in the day, would have liked your idea as well! ;)

Augie: First I have to say that I've noticed that the wives here on MSW are referred to as "The Admiral". (No worries...I think it's quite funny) :P 
That being said, your comment: "Might have depended on who was Admiral" made me chuckle. It would stand to reason, by MSW standards, that I am the Admiral, and in my case the captain shares my quarters (or should that be 1st mate)! This 'cat' let the mouse move up, and in, a long, long time ago! :P  :D  :D

Kevin: Oooops! Thanks for the thought anyway!

Ronald: I'm probably not the best person to ask about model tools. I have a tendency to do a lot of work by hand. We have a fully stocked workshop, but they are full sized power tools and most are not too practical for small scale work. I did buy a scroll saw and think that is a must. If I was to buy another tool now, it would be a hobby size table saw. I do have a dremmel and think that will be handy later on for carving etc.

Dave: Thanks...didn't know that. Learn something new all the time here. :)

Nigel: Another vote for #3 being the great cabin - thanks!

Sherry

:D  :D  :D  'Tis your ship, Admiral so you decide who goes where.

In my case, the wife is the local Base Commander.  We had sailboats for years and she was only happy when the engine was running.  Came to the point where I had to play a tape recording of the engine to keep her calm in heavy weather :) .  A sailor she aint !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

yes Sherry.......you are an admiral.........;)   as for us {if others feel the same way} .......we are all but simple deck hands :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sherry,

What Popeye said.  ;)  I see there's some holystoning required so it's back to the deck for me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

'Tis your ship, Admiral so you decide who goes where.

yes Sherry.......you are an admiral.........

What Popeye said. 

Well then, I guess the first order of business as admiral, is to make sure more progress is made on the San Felipe (Phil). ;)  :D

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ronald

Do you intend to make the planking or buy it? I recommend buying the planking.

1. Scroll Saw

2. Dremel with foot  pedal speed control and flexible head

3. Portable Drill (cordless or not) for tapering and rounding masts and yards

4. Plank bender

That is all I can think of, at least that is all I use.

Cheers

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

Ronald,

You may get more answers if you post your question in a general discussion area rather than in someone's build log. I would suggest posting it here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/18-modeling-tools-and-workshop-equipment/

You are likely to get a wide range of answers though, as what you are asking is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?" The answers could range from, you don't actually need any power tools at all, to as many as your budget will allow. Some folks do some marvellous work with almost exclusively hand tools, except for maybe a Dremel type drill. Others, like me, are power tool junkies - I've never met a power tool I didn't like!

If you dig around a bit in the link above, you may find some more answers to your question. You might also want to have a look through some of the scratch build logs to see what tools these modellers are using. Have a look at Victory by EdT; Naiad by EdT; Vulture by Dan Vad, Kingfisher by Remco, and Atlanta by tlevine, to name just a few exceptional scratch builds. There are many, many more.

I hope this helps.

runner63: Thank-you!

Ronald: I think Steve had some good suggestions. My first ship was a kit build and I only used hand tools for that.

Since this is a scratch build I am using more power tools, but still make use of a lot of hand ones and I can only give advice on that with which I am familiar.

What I have used so far and will use in the future:

• Scroll saw  - especially for cutting keel and bulkheads or frames.
  • Drill and/or Dremel - can be used as a lathe and is great for masts, yards, stanchions, belaying pins and maybe even wooden canons!
  • Table saw (milling some of my own wood)
  • Iron for plank bending 

I would love to have a micro table saw...maybe in the future.  I hope this helps. :)

Steve and Grant: Thanks for your suggestions and input!

Sherry

Not much change since the last the last pictures I posted, but there has been a little progress.

The half deck is planked...the fore and poop decks are just loosely sitting in place, but not glued. The inner bulwarks (?) are planked with walnut.

I am thinking about measuring and cutting the gun ports before the second planking...the thought of waiting to do it after the second planking has me nervous. Any tips, pointers, advice before I venture into that realm?

post-167-0-84600300-1371508856_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-09711600-1371508854_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Sherry:

Your model looks great.

I think that marking and cutting the gunports first would be a good idea. Then you can plank around them with your second layer of planking and not risk damaging the second layer later on by cutting into it. I have not had to do this sort of operation before, but it makes sense inside my head, if nothing else. :)

Russ

Just ck'n in on your progress Sherry..... your build is looking real good!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Sherry

Glad to see you posting again...I thought your garden had swallowed you up!

I would agree with Russ that the time to cut out your portholes is before the final planking on the exterior.

That would follow the process that I am using with HMS Serapis.

I would also double check the template that I sent to your plans and see if they are the same scale. If they are, you should be able to use the template, if not, you may need to sketch new  port hole locations on the template but to me, that template should be the way to go...it should be the way to go.

Cheers

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future: