San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Hi Sherry...... just catching up on your progress, your build is looking great. Love the lighting too!!. Your place is just beautiful, glad you had a nice getaway!! ;)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Kay: Thank-you! Beautiful job on your San Felipe - very clean and crisp!!! It will definitely be an inspiration for my build. Thank-you for the drawings as well.

Frank: Thank-you! I noticed a couple of lovely anchors on your build that would be right at home on my ship! :P  :D  :D

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

It seems that this summer has been more busy than usual, which means the shipyard has been fairly quiet.

Thought I'd include a couple of pictures of our garden bounty. The cherry tomato plants, that I'm standing behind, went a little crazy this year. I'm 5'7" and they are a couple of feet above my head! :huh:

post-167-0-41313300-1376436083_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-13134700-1376436093_thumb.jpg

I have a small update as well:

The upper portion of the second planking is complete. I've made and installed the support beams and columns for the fore deck, and the second planking is done on the lower section of the stern - not sure of the name of this part - it's the thick section below the lower gallery.

I salvaged a beautiful block of cherry wood from the wood pile and have been drying it now for a couple of months. I'm thinking of using it for the deck furniture etc.......but first, the rest of the planking. :rolleyes:

post-167-0-93044400-1376436104_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-02065000-1376436077_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-29228900-1395181065_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-50048800-1376436099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Very nice Sherry! The planking is looking great, nice and even. The garden bounty looks awesome as well. I spent a couple hours picking in mine Monday after being away for a week, don't know how we are going to eat it all lol. First cantaloupes should be ready at the end of the week, I can't wait to try them!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

A great talent for building ships, and a green thumb to boot...... What more can a guy want.. :D.... thanks for look'n in on my log Sherry.....

Frank

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

beautiful planking work Sherry........ balcony would be a good word to use for that appiture,  but it's all in part of the transom / counter,  that makes up the stern face.  love the color of the chosen wood :)

a green thumb is a good traite to have........it's a lost art.   with the way this world is getting to be.......with all the nut-jobs out there,  it would be a good thing to pick back up on.  you must LOVE your cherry tomatoes for them to grow like that.....NICE!!!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lovely work, Sherry, both on the ship and the garden.   I think you're talking about the stern galleries?  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great planking Sherry,

You can teach us how to do it !

You are healthy people over there.

That amount of vegetables I only see in the super market…...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

That planking is great.  But I'm jealous of the cherry tomatoes!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very clean work on the ship and planking Sherry. Your garden bounty looks very tasty, those cherry tomatoes look amazing, our garden has not done so well this year, it has been mostly too wet and cool.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and likes - they are very much appreciated!  :)  Hope to have an update soon.

As for the garden, we have definitely been enjoying the fresh produce...it will be hard to see it end. :(

Sherry

Well, there's always canning.  Nothing like some 'fresh' tomatoes in February when you really have a craving.  Let's see, wooden ships and canning  ---- perhaps we're off by a century or two :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

.....they would be in......cask :)    double banded to seal in that natural goodness!    hee.....hee

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Augie: I guess I must be a century or two behind then  :P  canning is well under way here. A little sawdust here.....a little tomato there.  :D

I don't process the volume of food that I used to, but the freezer and shelves will be full when I'm finished. 

Popeye:  :D

Sherry

The second planking is tedious and time consuming and seems to be moving at a snails pace, which I blame on spiling of the bow planks! :P

For a change of pace, I decided to make the display base.

I found these little gems, by accident, at the local hardware store. :)  A little cutting sanding and slotting transformed them into pedestals and saved me setting up the lathe! :)  :)

post-167-0-52497200-1377546510_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-76129800-1377546650_thumb.jpg

Before and after.

post-167-0-42052600-1377546654_thumb.jpg

My next door neighbor, and cousin, is a cabinet maker. A little scrounging in his "scrap" bin revealed a lovely piece of ash. He discarded it because it had a slight bow and he would lose the needed thickness if planed. Since I didn't need a "standard" or set thickness, it was off the jointer and then the planer to remove the offending curve. (He was kind enough to perform those steps for me)

After cutting it to the desired dimensions, (6"x14") I dusted off the router and gave it a Roman Ogee profile - without the top step.

post-167-0-03504100-1377546658_thumb.jpg

This is the end result, but nothing is fixed permanently at this stage.

post-167-0-30123900-1377548517_thumb.jpg

That's it for now...back to planking.... :rolleyes:

Sherry

Very creative and nice work Sherry.  Now get back to work :D  :P

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nicely done Sherry. Aren't these little diversions a nice distraction from getting on with some of the more tedious work? :)

Now, as Augie said, get back to work! :D

Sherry,

You are a handy woman !

These are wonderful gems!

Just like chess pieces  :D

And don't listen to those guy's.

Go back to work when you want it….not when they say so  ;)

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I'm curious here.... if you made the pedestals to divert you from planking, what's the planned diversion during ratting...?????  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Planking the ship's boat :D  :P  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

see.......it was nice wasn't it....and you came up with a beautiful stand.   your second planking is coming along nicely.   some folks thing I'm crazy for doing my little diversions.........the thing is..........they're right!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Grant: Thanks! The diversions are a GREAT distraction! :D

Sjors: Thanks!

And don't listen to those guy's.
Go back to work when you want it….not when they say so

I like that advice! I have to remember that those orders came from a Commodore and a Captain...but then again, you're a Commodore too, so I could follow your directions. ;)

Better yet...as it has been duly noted here, I am an Admiral regardless of the designation above my avatar!

Mark: See Augie's suggestion. :P  :D

Augie: Thanks for providing the solution! ;)  :D

Popeye: Thanks! If diversions are a direct result of craziness then I'm.............not finishing that sentence!!! :huh:  :D

Wayne: Thanks! Isn't easily distracted part of the diagnosis for...........never mind! :D  :D

Sherry

Hy Sherry,

beautyful built - but please! Please don't risk anything by using only this stand on two columes only - here you can see some mitship additional stands - to secure the work done.

Also the small Sloop Queensborough from 1718 or the tremendous 120 gun ship HMS Queen of 1839 - much closer in her dimensions to your San Filipe...

A breaking out keel would be a pitty, wouldn't it?

If you fall down - I'll be there.

The floor

Yours anxious

Christian

post-5310-0-89241200-1377616502_thumb.jpg

post-5310-0-37572600-1377616613_thumb.jpg

post-5310-0-91162900-1377616634_thumb.jpg

post-5310-0-11366000-1377616734_thumb.jpg

How lucky onshore whilom you have been

you will remake whensoever the ship is sinking.

Seneca

Building:
HMS Wolf 1752, 1/48 snow-rigged Sloop 6pfd - 10 guns

Breton Thuna fishing boats 1/125 (plastic) & 1/50 (wood)

Reconstruction:
HMS Flying Fish 1806, 1/48 Baltimore Schooner 12 gun

Thanks Christian for the word of caution. :)  I don't want a snapped keel either. :o  I have already drilled through the false keel into the more stable inner wood. The pedestals will be drilled as well and long steel pins (or tiny threaded rod) will be fixed in both so the false keel won't be vulnerable to separation.

Sherry

The diversions are a GREAT distraction!

Sherry, You know I do not see these as distractions. You are simply juggling the order of tasks that need doing according to your current disposition and this changes on a regular basis. Mostly the order of things can be juggled a little here and a little there.

The stand is nice and a great way to see the way it will present when finished.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.