San Felipe by newbuilder101 (Sherry) – Scale 1:96

Just amazing furniture, Sherry.   Thanks for the inspiration.  Now to go find some miniature craftsman to build some for my ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sherry......very nice work on the furniture........ clever idea on the rug too !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Russ: Thank-you very much!

Steve: (Sigh)........It's no use, you might as well give up. :D  I figured the carved fingers would substantiate my story...seems to have worked.
The colour I used for the fingers? - Fleshtone of course! :P  :P

John: Thank-you very much!

Anja: Thank-you very much as well! It really was fun. :)

Sjors: Believe it! I know Steve doesn't, but not you too!! :huh: 
Oh....I am planning to make barrels, not rats though - not on my ship! ....................Wait.....maybe for the ratlines! :P  :D  :D

Andy: Thank-you! I think a POF build would be a definite step up in difficulty level and a much longer timeline for the build. Unfortunately I'm not sure I would have the patience...I love each step of the build, but I can't wait to see the end product. :rolleyes:

Grant: Thank-you! I've heard somewhere that there is a certain "caveman" around here, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his rug isn't that old! :P  :P:D  

Popeye: Thank-you! Doris???? :huh:  :o  If I could reach her level of skill that would be amazing! I think it will take a little work yet, but thanks for the thought! :)

Bob: Thank-you! My ship wasn't going to have a cabin like that....it just seemed to happen. :rolleyes:

Mark: Thank-you! As for the miniature craftsmen...I'll go look in my "magical" garden...apparently that's where they live! :P  Imagine what a business that could be....selling, packaging and shipping little families of tiny workers around the world! Just had an idea....maybe Augie could transport them on one of his planes. :D

Frank: Thank-you! You call the rug idea clever, I call it desperate resourcefulness! ;)  I needed a tiny rug and haven't the ability to weave one so.......very thankful for printers.

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Yes, it's things like the unplanned cabin that make the darkside so much fun.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

wow such beautiful detail in such small scale

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hello Sherry,

accept my admiration to your work, I have a respect of making wooden models and your skills are really superb. Especially i love the interior and all the details in the cabin.

I wish you much success in the work.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

:omg:  I step away from perusing all the logs for a couple week and I come back and see you created a masterpiece. That cabin is awesome, what a great little diversion!!!

Now cut those gun ports!!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Bob: You're right....but at this rate I'll never finish the main ship! :P

Wayne: Thank-you! Silk worms are on their way back - thanks for the loan. :D

Pete: Thank-you! The chest was tricky because of its size.

Adrieke: Thank-you! Yes, it is a small scale....I think I am permanently cross-eyed now! :P  :D

Doris: Thank-you! Your admiration is much appreciated - especially coming from such a talented and skilled builder as you!!!

Robbyn: Thank-you! So far you are the only one to catch on that I am avoiding the gun ports with these little diversions! ;)  :P I have made a template, so maybe they'll be cut soon...

ZyXuz: Thank-you for the compliment and thanks for stopping by!

Sherry

Wow, I'm impressed.  Looking good and congratulations on a great scratch build.  I'm not that brave yet.  Looking good, and I'm following you with great anticipation.  Well done.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

so......are you still in avoidance mode??? waiting on pics of holes you know lol :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

John: Thank-you! 

following you with great anticipation

No pressure there. :D  :D

Ronald: You are welcome....as for the question here on my build...I don't mind at all. I'm just not sure if I was much help or not. :)

Robbyn: waiting on pics....hmmm...sounds vaguely like someone else I know. :P

I actually had a moment of intrepidity last evening and now I have an almost fully air conditioned hull! Three more to cut, followed by pics this evening - I hope.

Sherry

This is probably so clear to most builders, but I'm a little 'stumped' on this :huh: :

I'm trying to figure out where the great cabin would be on this ship, and the proper names for these decks.

In the second photo attachment, deck 1 is the main deck, 2 is the half deck?, 3 is the quarter deck? and 4 is the poop deck? It was easy on my Mayflower since there was one less deck. :P

I thought just below deck 4 might be the location for the great cabin, but there are no doors or windows at the stern for that deck...possible chart room?

Just below deck 3 there are elaborate doors and windows at the stern and side for that level....possible great cabin?

Any help appreciated...I'll also post this question in Building, Framing, Planking etc. section.

attachicon.gifdecks3.jpg

attachicon.gifdecks4.jpg

Sherry: most likely this is wrong interpreted by the designers. Most likely is this a stock pen. It should be presented as "open", with bars or so. This was in that period a very common place for the live stock.

Building: San Felipe

my build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2586-san-felipe-by-robboxxx-mantua-panart-severely-kit-bashed/

Waiting in the wings:

Lauckstreets: Fair American

Mamoli's: Royal Louis

Does anybody knows  who might be the person where Sherry is referring to in her answer to Robbyn?

Probably just got confused, Sjors.  "You Know Who" has a reputation for asking for pictures, but he is far too much of a gentleman to ask Sherry for any :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sherry - sounds like the A/C installation is working out - glad you took the plunge!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Wayne…...

It's just what you are saying.

I have not the nerve to ask Sherry about pictures….. :P

But now you are saying it….where are they ?????? :) 

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors: We all know who I was referring to. :P

robboxxx: Thanks for the information.

Wayne: 

You Know Who has a reputation for asking for pictures, but he is far too much of a gentleman to ask Sherry for any

Well, that theory is out the window...

The A/C is just fine...lots of ventilation now. :P  :D

Sherry

Okay...in response to requests for pictures...here they are!

Since my last post I mixed a batch of carpenter's glue with water (60/40) and brushed it over the balsa hull planking. That stiffened things up considerably.

Next, I set about filling the dips and hollows with wood filler in preparation for the second planking.

This is the simple jig I made for the upper gallery windows and some of the windows.

post-167-0-32616100-1372805783_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-94134300-1372805787_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-43209100-1372805856_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-45629700-1372805861_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-80401600-1372805867_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-48274700-1372805873_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-97060700-1372805878_thumb.jpg

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Finally the gun ports that I was avoiding...

I used a very High Tech jig for the ports :P  - all 108 of them :blink:

I still have to tidy up a bit, but I'm happy with the way they turned out. I think I measured 4,000 times before cutting!!!

(The blotchy appearance is from the wood filler)

post-167-0-88268300-1372806189_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-96753100-1372806197_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-20421900-1372806205_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-24928400-1372806210_thumb.jpg

Sherry

WOW!   Really impressive Sherry.  Love that outdoor pic.

Let's see what a certain moderator has to say about the gunports  :D  :D 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

....and you avoided them for what reason????    you did a very good job in cutting them out..........simply superb!

the stern face looks the nine as well!  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WELL DONE my friend...see that measuring 4000 times had its advantage...not a single one looks less than perfect. Take a bow lady, you done well!!!

post-127-0-95470100-1372819073.gifpost-127-0-76657800-1372819085.gifpost-127-0-78605800-1372819105.gifpost-127-0-80388200-1372819121.pngpost-127-0-85461100-1372819139.gif

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sherry,

You make my day !

Pictures….and what kind of pictures….

Great what you are showing us !

Just like Augie, I love the picture outside….is that your garden?

That size is looking like Holland  :D

Gunports are great !

No need to avoiding them next time.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Fabulous work there Sherry. Love the stern work, and the gunports look spot on too!

Thank-you everyone for the kind words of encouragement and support!!!

Augie: I always take any opportunity to be outside, :)  and pictures just seem to look better in natural light. I'm on my way outside now to cut our lawn which takes 3 hours on the rider!

Popeye: I wouldn't have avoided them so long if I had known they would turn out okay! :P  You know the saying.....hindsight always has 20/20 vision - it's my foresight that is lacking. :huh:  :D

Robbyn: Maybe I can get away with measuring only 3,000 times in the future. :P

Sjors: Did you notice how many pictures I posted? I'm going to make your day and post another one...it's not of the build, but my flower bed beside our house. The garden you wondered about is MUCH larger than this.

post-167-0-28396200-1372860900_thumb.jpg

Anja: Glad you like it. We'll be seeing you here on the "dark side" before long!

Grant: The stern work was yet another diversion to put off the gun ports! They weren't too difficult, but with 108 of them to cut it made me nervous....there's just something about making that first cut into a nice smooth hull!

Sherry

Great job on the ports and the windows, Sherry.  That flower bed is gorgeous!  I think "You Know Who" will be pleased - maybe Anja can get Sjors to replicate that garden in Schiedam!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus