San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Sorry folks for not getting back sooner. There has been a very serious family illness which took me quite some distance from home. I only "popped" in once in a while to click the like button here and there, and leave the occasional comment.

I'm back home now and trying to catch up with all I've missed.

Thank-you Michael, Mark, Tony, Matti and Johann for the wonderful comments!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I did make some progress on my ship a little while ago, but am only getting around to posting the pictures now that I am home.

I managed to install the rubbing strakes/wales, as well as some more of the gratings. The rubbing strakes are a rich brown, even though they appear to be more black in the photos.

The blue is really most accurate in the middle photo, not actually the intense royal blue that you see in the first photo.

post-167-0-90809300-1383961780_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-60452600-1383961786_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-87376000-1383961790_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Sherry you really are doing a super job with this model.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Sherry,

No need to say sorry. To be with your family in times of need always comes first.

It's good to see you back. I hope your family member is doing well and and on the way to recovery.

Thanks for the update. Your San Felipe is a beauty.

The colors are looking great.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Sherry,

Welcome back at the ship yard !

I want to say more but Anja say it already so.....the same from me .

But your build is a beauty !!!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Welcome home again Sherry. Nice to see some more photos of your lovely model - you really are doing a super job on this.

Michael: Thank-you! It's wonderful to have all the positive support here on MSW! I showed a picture of my build to a friend, and she said it looked like the ark! :blink:

Sjors & Anja: Thank-you both! Unfortunately my brother is not doing well and the outlook is not good, but thank-you for your kind words! 

Grant: Thank-you! Good to be back, and I hope to have a little more time in the shipyard soon.....and, of course, pictures! :)

Sherry

Glad you are back and hope all is well.  You were missed.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Exceptional work Sherry, I do believe you will have something so very worthy of display once finished!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Nice work.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Bob: Thank-you! I'm glad to be back! :)

Robbyn: Thank-you! I still stand back, scratching my head in amazement, at each completed component that goes together, stays together, and looks like it's supposed to!!! :P (as I mentioned, on another log, I once sewed the arms upside down on a dress) :blink:

rwiederrich: Thank-you as well!

Sherry

Nice to see you've returned Sherry.  I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sherry, I'm new to the forums and finding my way in model ships. I'll be following your log now, absolutely fantastic work, can't wait to see more, it's inspiring to a hack like myself. Welcome back and best wishes for everything non build related.

Edited by divarty

Current Build

Rattlesnake

Previous Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HMS Victory cross section

sorry to hear about your brother,  hope everything works out and he had a good recovery.  nice pictures of your ship....no,  looks brown to me...........cameras are funny creatures,  aren't they  ;)

"how in the world,  can man make something that's better than the human eye?"

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Another small update!

Access doors to the bow:

post-167-0-91746700-1384303351_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-23782200-1384303356_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-85624100-1384303359_thumb.jpg

Followed by moulding for the upper hull - not sure of the proper nautical term for this?

I cut a profile into a razor blade using my dremel and cut off disc, then proceeded to scrape the wood strip. I can't take any credit for this idea - it's been demonstrated on a few logs here.

post-167-0-77515400-1384303931_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-68517200-1384303936_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-90982100-1384303940_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Not sure if this would be classed as cheating or resourcefulness, but when I saw these toothpicks a little light bulb turned on in my head!  

I needed to make some columns/pillars for the bow and these seemed to "fit the bill". Just had to cut the preformed tops off and sand them a bit and "voila" instant columns!

post-167-0-90595300-1384304206_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the end result with the doors, moulding and columns.

post-167-0-89385300-1384304212_thumb.jpg

I'm now working on the railings and have a couple of them installed:

post-167-0-18433100-1384304219_thumb.jpg

Sherry

The doors are splendid !

I have that box of 'machined' toothpicks downstairs waiting for the right moment :)

I just became aware of the molding scraper.  Chuck supplies one or 2 in his Confed kit.  But the dremel/razor blade trick is great!!!!  THANKS!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Sherry,just ck'n in on your progress........ your work is just excellent!!.... nice to have you back and I'm  sorry to hear about your brother..

hope everything works out for the best for him...... I don't think your build looks like an ark at all   :P 

Frank  

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Augie. I knew that when I first saw those toothpicks on the store shelf, they would have a future on my build. 

The dremel and razor blade trick is great....glad someone came up with the idea and that I was able to pass it on!

Thank-you Frank!  Your well wishes are appreciated. Thanks too, for your support on the "ark" issue - when no one else commented, I started to think maybe it did look like the ark!!! :D  :P  :D  :D

Sherry

Hello Sherry,  just stupendous looking work !!!!  What a joy it is to watch such a magnificent ship taking shape with such craftsmanship  :)  

Hope your brother is recovering.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hey Sherry!

Nice work, as usual. Let me say this, and I can't believe nobody has said this yet, but you are quite the "Arkist" haha! Get it? LOL I had too, I couldn't resist!

On a serious note, wishing you and your brother all the best!

Cheers from Ottawa!

Steve

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

Very clever idea with the toothpicks Sherry! An Ark? Nothing could be farther from the truth!!!

I too was very happy when I came across that razor blade scraper in another log, sure works like a charm doesn't it. I used it on parts for my longboat...different results...basswood is much too soft for that type of thing, looking forward to trying it on the boxwood of the Syren. The toothpick idea is brilliant as well, My SFII is short some to the wooden pins for the pin rails, so rather than buy replacements I was considering making them out of wooden toothpicks myself, very happy to see from your fine work, that they will do the trick!

Ark??? I must have missed something somewhere..personally I see no resemblance to the ark in your build.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Steve:  :D  Long time no see! Thanks for the smile and the good wishes.

Grant: Thanks! It's funny now, how I view every little thing in a different light since I started ship modelling. My husband has caught me in the hardware store, fondly gazing at odd little bits and pieces and offering up a thoughtful "hmmmmm".(seeing the future potential for them) :rolleyes:

Robbyn: You're right about the basswood being more difficult to work with, but the wood strip in my photo is just that! 

First I find the direction of the grain - easiest with a piece of cloth, since it catches on the fibers when rubbed the wrong way, then I sand in one direction with the grain.

The ark thing - I mentioned in an earlier post that one of my friends saw my model and said it looked like Noah's Ark!  :huh:  What I didn't mention is that she also thought I could put little animal heads poking out of all those "holes". :wacko:  :blink:

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Re: the little animal heads 2x2   can you imagine all that carving? LOL

Steve

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60