San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the way I would have said it also. Only louder.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

oh Sherry!!  it just made my heart hurt for you when I read your post.  I know too well that sickening crash and crack sound.  I am  glad you are already working on fixing the damage, and that it is fixable.   Your model is coming along so beautifully.

best of luck with the repairs!

john

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

sad to see what happened......you can fix it........I know you can! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors: The sweater is in the closet now.  ;)  I don't know about the fix being better than the original, but I am happy with it. Hopefully there will be pictures tomorrow.

Bob:  :D  Actually, when it happened I couldn't make a sound - in shock I guess.

John: Thanks for words of support and encouragement. I'm discovering that a lot of members here have had similar mishaps.

Popeye: Thanks! Happy to report it's fixed!!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Sherry,

Good on you for fixing it.  I think there's a curse on all model shipbuilders as everyone seems to have done this at least once.  I've done it twice now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ouch Sherry! I know exactly how you feel, extremely frustrating!!! Look at it this way...sweaters are always at fault, lesson learned don't wear them while building...at least your sweater only caused damage to the build and not to your person :P Glad to see you have the can do attitude!!! I have no doubts she will look good as new!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Mark: Thank-you! I think I agree about the curse! I am sorry that your lovely Licorne was not something that could be salvaged, but am looking forward to Licorne II. :)

Robbyn: It's really amazing that my sweater isn't in the garbage, but I really can't blame anything or anyone but myself. (even though I wanted to at the time  :rolleyes: ) No personal injury during this incident, but I have lots of experience in that department too - not nearly as drastic as yours though!  :o

Carlosys: Thanks for the encouragement! Will we see another update on your San Felipe soon?

Sjors: Just for you ------- pictures on the way!

Sherry

So, here is the repair.

There is a very faint light line across the middle of the stem piece that is much more visible in the photo (if you click to enlarge) than to the naked eye.

The repair was easier than expected, since all the breaks were extremely clean. I was so intent to get it fixed that I neglected to include the process!! I drilled both parts of the stem and used toothpicks as dowels, then glued them together. The trickiest part was measuring the receiving holes in the main stem for the broken part containing the dowels. (I used a very, very low tech and unusual method with exceptional results)

post-167-0-53998400-1390772934_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-40797700-1390772940_thumb.jpg

I was almost ready for an update just before the "great crash". The columns were fashioned and installed along with the edge piece for the quarterdeck. Also the shell decoration was fashioned and installed at the stern top.

post-167-0-61249800-1390772990_thumb.jpg

The last of the gratings are now finished and installed.

post-167-0-91253600-1390772993_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-81204200-1390772995_thumb.jpg

I found some wonderful bead holders in the jewelry section of Michael's then flatened them and cut parts away to achieve the desired leaf shapes for both sides of the round gun ports.

post-167-0-51197500-1390772998_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-52203300-1390773134_thumb.jpg

The exacto knife was put into action again, carving some of the stern decorations. At 1:96 scale, the inner vine and leaf pattern I wanted was just too small to carve, so I coated fine rigging line with white glue and fashioned the vines and leaves that way. I am pleased with the end result since it was to be painted gold anyway.

post-167-0-22198500-1390773073_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-19299900-1390773078_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-27309600-1390773088_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-85257900-1390773095_thumb.jpg

There you have it, repairs and a little progress too.

(Forgot to add that I am now experimenting with gun port linings just in case anyone spots the two that I have temporarily test fitted and forgot to remove for the photos)   :rolleyes:

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Right back on course !!!! She's looking terrific.  WELL DONE !

Oh, keep practicing those leaf and vine thingies.  I may need some on my next build :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

A very clean repair Sherry. The way of solving the filigree carving reminds me of another builder's way of "solving" carving that is painted Gold;>)

She is looking very good with each new addition.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Andy: Thanks! I think I can breathe a sigh of relief now. ^_^

Crackers: Thank-you, and you're right about the encouragement here on MSW!!! I will look around and see if I can dig up some more of my art work to post - you can't see it now, but I'm blushing  :blush:

Augie: Thank-you! The leaf and vine thingies - I had more black bits of sticky string on me than anywhere else. It's a wonder they turned out at all! If you receive a package in the mail that looks somewhat like a black furball...it's your order of leaf and vine thingies.  :P

Michael: Thank-you! I had thought about using a polymer clay, but decided that it would be too tiny to achieve the desired result. ;)

Sherry

Sherry,

The repair is invisible. Great job.  And, I love the way you did those carvings, so much so, I may steal that idea for my ship.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Sherry nice job on the repairs! I've got a good eye for details and I find it difficult to see any of the previous damage.

I think she should be re-Christened the San Felipe-Phoenix   ;)

I was going to say something smart like "great repair but why does she now have 2 bows? " lol  but I'll save that for a rainy day 

Cheers 

Steve

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

Excellent repair job Sherry! Impossible to tell where the damage was now. Love the "vine and leaf thingies".

the repair is a triumph Sherry! I love you technique for making vines & leaves.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Sherry, your idea with the thread and glue is great.  I’ll have to hang on to it for my boats.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sherry for the pictures !!!!!

That fix looks amazing.

I have now the feeling that you "FIX " the whole ship  :D  :D  :D

It is better then the original !

Anja is telling me that I have to go to scratch build.

When ,and I say when , i'll do that I come to you to follow lessons !

Really a great job !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Mark: Well, the repair isn't quite invisible but thank-you. Steal away. I've "borrowed" many ideas from other members. :rolleyes:

Edwin: "Master"...I like the sound of that, but that is a fair distance off yet...if ever.  :)

Steve: Thanks! You caught me...you will notice that there are no photos straight on, since that would show the second bow! :P

Grant: Thank-you. Not impossible to see the repair, but difficult. Hmmmmm....maybe if I don't wear my glasses... :rolleyes:  B)

Carlos: Thank-you! I'm feeling happier about the repair with every kind comment.  :)

John: Thank-you! I am pleased with the repair, but mostly relieved! The leaf and vine technique - you know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention. ;)

Bob: Thank-you! If you're not careful, you will be hanging on to it - literally.  :o

Sjors: You are welcome, and thank-you! You should do a scratch build for the next time, we will welcome you to the dark side. By the time you finish Aggy, you won't need lessons!  :)

Sherry

You are a real "DarkSider" Sherry..... excellent work! !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I think the persons that came up with the phrases "wearing it on your sleeve"  and "pulled by their coat tails",  should be publicly flogged!

......I think you collared the repairs quite well :D :D :D    I didn't go looking for that faded line you spoke of.......I was just happy to see how well you made the fixes....she looks like it never happened!   I saw your little upgrades.......I like the red.......stands out well against the wood grain....what color were you planning for the other idea?

decorative etchings around the ports looks sweet!   nice! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors:  "O dear, what I'am in to......."   -    Sounds like trouble to me.  :D

Frank: Thanks! I think the fix made me more confident on the dark side than just the regular building. :)

Popeye: :D  Thanks! I wasn't sure about the red, but I'm warming up to it now. I guess I'm tired this evening, but I'm missing what you mean about "the other idea" - the port liners?

Sherry

I admire your resolve to repair, especially your attitude.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Now there are 2 lady's pushing me to the dark side  :(

O dear, what I'am in to.......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

What else can you do, Sjors?  Come to the darkside. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

There is a very faint light line across the middle of the stem piece that is much more visible in the photo (if you click to enlarge)

Sherry - you're fibbing. There is NO line visible, even when I enlarge the pic :D . Great repair job!

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

One of the reasons I love sailing so much is the self sufficiency aspect of it. The reason I like to build my own boats is that if I'm stuck somehwere, damage of some sort, I know that because I built the boat, I can fix anything on it. That, to me, adds to the self sufficiency aspect of sailing. I am seeing more and more on this site that model builders have the same "I can fix anything" attitude and I really like it. Good job on the repair, I can't see it either. :)