San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

I have a little bit of an update today. I believe these parts are called quarter badges...correct me if I'm wrong.

The first pictures show them underway, and then installed on the ship and painted.

post-167-0-47657600-1395867480_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-55303900-1395867483_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-55154900-1395867486_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-23461600-1395867492_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-12002700-1395867498_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-05021000-1395867504_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hi Sherry -

I was taught that quarter badges are the small "bay window" looking bulges on the aft hulls of small ships.  On ships of the line like yours, the large constructions that rise several decks are known as quarter galleries since they were connected to the galleries at the stern.  In either case their purpose is to house the officers' washstand and other conveniences.  The piece at the bottom that you have carved so excellently is called the drop, possibly because this is where the waste from the toilet dropped into the sea.

Keep up the good work, I truly enjoy watching your progress and am glad to be a tiny bit of your inspiration.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Beautiful work Sherry, and I see no reason why the function of a particular part as Dan points out should not be as beautiful as any other part.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Dan: Thank-you for the info - makes complete sense. There are some good resources for identifying ship parts, but they are listed by the part names followed by a description. If you don't know the name, as in my case, then it's a long tedious task going through the list to find what you're looking for. 

Michael: Thank-you as well! The term "drop" had conjured images of dew drops, tear drops, decorative drops of the lower skirt of fine furniture etc., but now.........I guess it's a decorative 'toilet bowl' as well!!  :D

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Hello Sherry,

I have been silently following your magnificent build but can't resist saying, some very nice carving !!!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Amazing carving !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

that is so gorgeous Sherry!  I even had to look back to see the before pictures.....man,  I love those railings!  I really like that color...your choice of scheme is quite a compliment to the wood.....some very nice work indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet: Thank-you for your kind comments and for stopping by!

Grant: Thank-you! Fanciest facilities around - locally anyway.  :P

Sjors: Thank-you! Getting it to fit perfectly is much easier when it's a scratch build.....better than some of the kit parts that seem like they were made for a different ship! You'll have to give it a try after your Aggy.

Nenad: Thank-you! I'm having a lot of fun with the carving - now back to the rest of the gun port liners which are not nearly as much fun. :huh:

David: Thank-you as well! I was going to check out your builds, but no link to any logs - will we see that in the future?

Brian: Thank-you! I'm trying my best to keep it neat, makes good practice for a future scratch POF - if I am brave enough. (Your HMY Fubbs is beautiful)

Popeye: Thank-you! I wasn't sure about the colour at first, but when I mustered up the courage to apply a coat I was happy with it. The making of those railings helped raise the level of my scrap box!

Sherry

David: Looking forward to seeing your log! Adding the link will bring more visitors to your build as well.

Thank-you very much Bindy! I have really enjoyed scratch building, so far, but I think the term "scratch" more accurately describes what I do with my head when I face each new piece that I have to fabricate.  :D

Sherry

Since my last update I have applied one coat of wipe on poly which darkened the hull to a moderate degree. 

The starboard gun port liners are now cut, painted brown, and installed.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

attachicon.gif2.JPG

Two trim/molding pieces were fabricated and fixed to the edges of the lower balcony, as well as finishing the remainder of the decorative S braces between the upper and lower balcony.

attachicon.gif4.JPG

More decorations were fabricated and added to the stern section.

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Now to get busy and make the port side liners for a total of 92 rectangular gun port liners!

A great ship Sherry,

and a beautifull built model..., am curiously looking Forward to your next posted Progress, That is not an easy scale you have Chosen, but masterly managed it

Well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

David: Looking forward to seeing your log! Adding the link will bring more visitors to your build as well.

Thank-you very much Bindy! I have really enjoyed scratch building, so far, but I think the term "scratch" more accurately describes what I do with my head when I face each new piece that I have to fabricate.  :D

Yes It's a wonder any of us scratch builders have any hair left.  :D

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Sherry,

I have enjoyed watching you build the San Felipe.  Usually by the time I get to read the build logs there are two pages between what I want to comment on and where my comment would be.  You’re doing a fantastic job.  Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank-you Nils! You're right about the scale - it makes it very hard to have the level of detail that I would like.

Glad to know I'm not the only scratch builder that feels this way Bob :D  and thank-you for the kind comments!

Sherry

Dear Sherry,

I must express my deep admiration to you, your carvings are so beautiful. The ship looks better and better. I love your work a lot and always look forward to your new updates.

Have a great time.

Kind regards ,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

what an excellent job on the carving Sherry. Your skills are amazing!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thank-you Doris for your very generous and kind comments! And, I definitely am having a "great time" with this model!

Thank-you Robbyn! I love carving, but I am using it to avoid finishing my gun port liners!

Sherry

Four more stern decorations have been added. The little figures with the dolphins are not much bigger that my thumb nail and I think I may be permanently cross-eyed now from working on them! 

post-167-0-50531500-1396567975_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-18598900-1396567981_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Stunning again, as I have come to expect nothing less from you Sherry. This build is flawless, I do hope you are proud of all your accomplishments with her

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

very nice progress Sherry.........is that  'cornflower blue' ?   I still can't get over how it accents the gold........just looks so sweet!  ;)

the ornamentation is simply outstanding!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Robbyn! The only problem with those high expections is that now I have to continue to live up to them. :huh:  I am quite happy with her, but flawless isn't truly accurate....but thanks for the thought.  :)

Thanks Popeye! The blue is my own mix, so I guess we'll call it 'Sherry blue' :P

Sherry

when you get to mass produce it.......let me know  ;).......oh,  I forget.......customs has some restrictions on stuff like that :(    guess I'll just have to admire it from a distance ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sherry..... the stern is absolutely "gorgeous".... you certainly have a talent for carving !!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautiful carving work, Sherry.  Do be proud of it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)