newbuilder101

San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96 (First Scratch Build)

Thank-you Wayne, Michael and Ed!

Michael: Yes, I am a bit of a pack rat. We have a working floor model gramophone, and unless you buy tungsten tipped or fibre needles, then you can only use the needle once or twice at most. The steel tip dulls and rounds, thus making the groove in the record wider if used multiple times.

Ed: I would love to be able to say that I spent hours researching and sourcing the best of papers, but I confess to using what I had on hand. Please see the next reply for the answer...

Wayne: :D  :D  :D  :D Close......paper from a HP copier. I'm tempted to buy a Canon copier just so I can use your line!!!

Also have to add that I wish it was a canon copier because I'm getting quite weary of making them individually.  :D

Edited by Sherry

Hey Sherry, just a thought on the narrow strips to make them follow the taper of the barel.  Cut them in a curve, they'll follow the taper and wind on straight.  Trial and error on how much of a curve but it doesn't take much.

Cheers,

Finally, a long overdue update! I started out well with photos of each step and then as life got busy the photos fell by the way. The last few pictures are of each completed piece without process pictures. 

I experimented with a few different materials for the stern lanterns, but finally settled on card. The lanterns could not be solid because of the fiber-optics that I had to feed up through the tiny brass tubing and into the lanterns. This was a very tricky process due to the tight fit and bends. I'll try to add some pictures in the next day or so with the lanterns "lit".

post-167-0-93419400-1435885991_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-80300000-1435885996_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-24808000-1435886001_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-75563100-1435886006_thumb.jpg

Some more items completed.

post-167-0-47661100-1435886011_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-74801000-1435886026_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-35597400-1435886031_thumb.jpg

And placed on deck. I also completed the first of three sets of spiral staircases.

post-167-0-84232800-1435886036_thumb.jpg

I also managed to make and place some of the decorative pieces and dolphins.

post-167-0-84683700-1435886042_thumb.jpg

Last, but not least, a shot of the stern so far and profile. 

post-167-0-50565900-1435886081_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-79859300-1435886046_thumb.jpg

Greetings Sherri,

Elegant work on your San Felipe. However your Spanish version was built in the late 1670s - too late to have been in the Spanish Armada (1588). There was a San Felipe de Portugal, galleon, in the Armada. In addition, the Portuguese had another San Felipe in service about the time of the Armada - she was a carrack, which was a merchant ship. See book entitled The Armada by Garrett Mattingly. Others may have brought this to your attention, but your site is so popular that I couldn't read all the posts.

wq3296

Thank-you to everyone for the words of encouragement, and to everyone that hit the like button! 

Edwin: WoW, thanks!  :)

Augie: See above!  :rolleyes:

Michel: Thanks!

Nenad: Extra thank-you!

Patrick: Ok, now I'm starting to blush.

Grant: Nice to be back!

Ed: Would love to do a larger scale model sometime to add even more detail - 

maybe then the lanterns could be metal or wood.

Popeye: The "dress up" parts are some of the most enjoyable parts on the model to make!

Wq3296: Please refer to these posts: answer1 and answer2. Now I'm just leaving the title as is out of mischief!  :)

Jparsley: Well, far from perfect, but I am pleased with her.

Bob: Just wish I had more time to spend in the shipyard. I had forgotten how much I love this hobby until I returned!!!

Edited by Sherry

You're doing a magnificent job on her Sherry. I just happened across this build and I'm amazed at the level of detail you're achieving in this scale. Very nice!

Cheers

Sherry, that's an exquisite model. You've set the bar very high for the rest of us duffers (well, me, anyway - from what I've seen there are so many amazingly skilled, patient and painstaking modellers out there in MSW land that I sometimes wonder if my own efforts will be up to the mark. Still, one can but try).

Steven

Thank-you George! This scale has proven to be a challenge at times.

Thank-you as well Steven! Definitely keep trying! I have a sneaking suspicion that your work is better than you think. We all seem to be far too self critical. As long as you are enjoying the journey, that's what counts - bonus is you get a ship model in the end.