San Felipe by newbuilder101 (Sherry) – Scale 1:96

Augie: Thanks! I am enjoying this part...not looking forward to ratlines later on...much later! :) 

Andy: Thanks! Those micro LEDs sound interesting...any tips on where to get them?

Steve: Thanks! I think you'll be very happy with the San Felipe...she's a beautiful ship! Only those of us in this hobby can understand what it's like waiting for a new kit or supplies! ;) 

Michael: Thanks! It always feels good to get a bit more done on the build!

Popeye: Thanks! The lighting...go for it! The first ship I saw it on was Mark Taylor's...then I found a few others and really liked the look! I hope I can be planking before too long...probably not as soon as I'd like though. 

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Sherry,

Ratlines are a ways off....  :)   Looks great to see the decks being placed.  Lighting, while tricky, is something that can easily be solved.  There's several articles in the database on this topic.  Your imagination is your best tool for lighting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark...I've already read all the lighting articles here. I think I have a handle on it...I think  :)  My biggest obstacle is the scale...which I knew could cause some difficulty before I ever started. I'm just stubborn enough to not give up too. :P

Sherry

Hello Sherry,

I really had some catching up to do.

Nice progress. It looks absolutely great. Well done.

And the lights will add some magic to the ship.

I see you've changed your avatar. Nice to meet you.

How are your brother and daughter doing? Are they well?

Keep up the good work.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Sherry, :)

This is the first time that I am browsing your log.

Very good workmanship indeed. The assembly looks very neat and linear. You certainly have a way with wood.

I shall follow this log.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Anja: Thank-you! I am happy to have had some time to do a bit of building. As for my avatar...I didn't use my own picture when I first joined MSW because I wasn't sure about the website or the members. Now I know it's a great forum with great people! :)

My daughter is doing very well now, but my brother is not well at all - he's quite sick. Thank-you for your kindness in asking! 

Paul: Thank-you! I really like working with wood and it's a challenge to keep it neat and straight.

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

sherry, good afternoon

would you like to post a photo of your build into the following thread, the reason why is on the first page, and  also ask anyone else to do the same

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1589-latest-full-profile-photograph-of-your-build/

all the best

kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Andy: Thanks! Those micro LEDs sound interesting...any tips on where to get them?

I've used these before:http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Products/Supplies/ToolsAndSupplies/LEDs/LEDs.htm

Go for the ones that come prewired with very fine leads

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sherry-  I am sorry to hear about your brother and sincerely hope that he improves. 

I like Paul's comment about your 'way with wood'.  You certainly have it as do most on MSW.  It's a mysterious thing when you think about it...how some are drawn to it.....

Enough musing.  CARRY ON!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Sherry,

I am very sorry to hear that your brother is ill. Will remember him in my prayers. The sun rises every morning, even in winter - so lets keep our hopes and look forward for the best.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Hi Sherry,

Nice to meet you to  :)

You are going to the dark side and wow, you make something about it.

One kit and one scratch and a good scratch…..(and kit)

It's hard to believe that you are doing this for the first time.

I'm a little bit jealous….but enjoy what I'm seeing!

Great progress.

And for the ratlines…..send me the pigeon and I will help you  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sherry...looking quite good there girl, you show em all!!

I really am impressed, several people have been trying to pull me to the dark side...I have decided that in the next 12-18 months when we buy the new house, I will upgrade the old garden house to my shop, then I will start scratching as well. I am working on acquiring the tools now, so I will be ready when the time comes :D

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Kevin: I will indeed post a photo to the thread you suggested - Thanks!

Andy: Thanks for the link...I will research those LEDs, they do look tiny.

Augie: Thank-you for best wishes...I hope he improves too.
You're right about the attraction to wood. I know the current interior decorating trend is to paint over hardwood trim, solid wood furniture and even hardwood floors!!! :o  I could never bring myself to do that whatever the trend! I guess that's why I didn't paint my Mayflower white below the waterline...even though it would have been more historically correct, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Paul: Thank-you as well for your best wishes and prayers.

Sjors: Thank-you! Wisdom would show that it is better to start with something easier and work up to a more difficult build...funny thing is I forgot to read the book on wisdom. :D  The other book I should read is patience...I just couldn't wait so I jumped right into a scratch build. (The other reason would be the $1,100.00 price tag for the kit model.)gros3d66.gif

Pigeon? Do you think he will help?

Robbyn: Thank-you!

you show em all

- I'll do my best! Hopefully no big blunders or injuries. I no sooner read your first post about the hand injury and I dropped, and shoved, my scalpel into my thigh! Not nearly the injury yours was, and the doctor just glued it closed!
As for the scratch build...go for it. I think you've learned the skills to do it! I've only just started and I love it!

Anja: Thank-you to both you and Sjors! You are indeed very kind! I've seen the comments here on MSW about that very thing and I agree. :)

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Sherry.

Just found your build.  Your framing looks good, it's not easy working at 1:96.  Nice to have another scratch builder aboard. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Sherry,

She's looking great!  One step at a time, take the time and go ssssllllooooowwww.

My best wishes and prayers go out for your brother.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Sherry,

I traint the pigeon to help me with the ratlines……and now he is asking if his wife can help me also…….

When I'm finished, I'll send them to you

P/A Blue Ridge Mountian!  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

hope your brother sees good recovery....look forward towards more updates ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet: Thanks for the good wishes and prayers...and I do plan to take my time. I want to get it right!

Sjors: Maybe by the time I'm ready for ratlines your pigeon and his wife will have a big family and you can send them all over here. :D

Popeye: Thanks for the good wishes. I'll soon be ready for the first planking, and then more updates.

Bender: Thanks! I've found answers to some of my questions by viewing your San Felipe log. It's been a great help.

Sherry

Hi Sherry

I must have missed your posting when you mentioned your brother and daughter. I went back and I am truly sorry to hear about both! I am glad your sister is doing better and I truly hope your brother turns things around and makes a speedy recovery.

Just to add to your lighting thoughts, model railroading being another of my endless hobbies, they have simulated flame lantern or fire lighting accessories for between $25 to $70. Most come already wired and ready to hook up. And HO scale is very close to the same scale you are building your model at. Here is one such gizmo...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mtr/mtr10010101.htm  George's Trains in Markham might be a source to try out. I haven't been following the model railroad stuff for a few years to direct you any better but they have been around for ages, since I was a wee one. LOL

The frames look great so far...great to see the decking go in. What are you planning to do for the deck planking? Please tell me you aren't going to mill those as well? LOL

The scroll saw was a great investment. I must have several days of cutting ahead of me cutting all the printed parts for my HMS Serapis kit...honestly, I am not stoked about it at all....I guess this is why they invented the laser cut to assist lazy bones dude like me!  :o Don't get me wrong, I love working with wood but if all my kits were like the HMS Serapis, I would never have time to finish all of them. Thank God for laser cutting!!

Cheers

Steve

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

Steve: Thanks for the good wishes for my brother and daughter! Thanks for the link to the model railroading lights too - I checked them out and they look very interesting. The idea of flaming/flickering lights would add a touch more realism, but I have to confess the lights I bought from ebay were $2.00 and the resistors $1.50 and I like that price point better....we'll call this my budget ship. :D

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Just caught up with your build log - fabulous stuff! Looks like you've made a fairly impressive start to your new "dark side" career! I hope your brother and daughter and both recovering well, and I look forward to following along the rest of the journey with you.

Hey Sherry

I know it's only a few days since you posted the photos, but I was curious if you have started to glued the frames, decks and balsa filler pieces in place yet?  

Not rushing you just curious!  :)

Cheers

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

Robert: Thanks for stopping by and thank-you for the encouraging words! By the time I'm finished San Felipe I probably will have been scratch building for years! :D

Grant: Thanks for stopping by and thank-you for positive feedback and good wishes for my family!

Steve: I have the frames and filler pieces glued in position and the main deck is on not planked yet though. The porticos are in place as well...I'll try to post later today.

Sherry

Nice!

Steve

Built:

Current:

Future:

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

Maybe this makes sense to others out there, but I find it a little unusual. The plans show the first planking being started (first photo) and then the tops of the bulkheads being 'snapped' off (second photo). It leaves me wondering what the planking is attached to, other than the edges of the planks themselves? The planks are attached at the first and then the 8th -12 bulkheads. Hopefully this will add enough structural stability.

post-167-0-80700900-1366408176_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-63270400-1366408178_thumb.jpg

After all this, then the deck planking will begin. It seems like that would be easier now, but I can't do the deck until the bulkheads are 'snapped' off.

Here I'm scoring the bulkhead tops for easier breaking later.

post-167-0-77014600-1366408636_thumb.jpg

Sherry