San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Here are a few shots of the lanterns and other areas fore and aft, showing the fiber optics and yellow LEDs.

For now I have the wires attached to a 9 volt battery, but will be installing a proper switch box later.

post-167-0-25173100-1436299716_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-24293500-1436299719_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-28251500-1436299793_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Sweet.  The intensity looks perfect.  Just keep a sharp eye out to see who may be coming up behind with chase guns before you light 'em up !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow!  I like that lighting effect.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

I am so glad to see an update from you, I hadn't heard anything in so long I was afraid you had given up, so glad to see you have not!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks everyone!

Augie: That intensity took some planning and a little fiddling to achieve - didn't want it to look like halogen headlamps!

As for anyone following....I'll have 4 stern cannons waiting for them.  :o

George: I am pleased with the result. I installed all the lights, wiring and fiber optics early in the build and had to wait until the lanterns were done to see if it would even work as I had hoped.

Mark: When I first joined MSW (back in version 1) the first time I ever saw lighting on a model ship was on your avatar of the USS Constellation. 

Thanks for the idea! ;)

Robbyn: I hadn't given up on the model....almost gave up on finding time to work on it though. Hope to see an update on your Syren soon.

Sherry

Absolutely splendid model, dear Sherry. The lighting looks great. I admire your precise and beautiful work.

BTW: The cannons are perfect, your craftsmanship with paper is marvelous. :wub:

Kind regards

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hi Sherry - long time no talk, just had to re read your log from the start, what wonderful progress you have made -

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

lighting looks great Sherry....lanterns look so cool  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Time to work on my Syren, I do so wish I could find it. Unfortunately the gutting of my house continues. Kitchen is done finally, and bathroom has begun. Things have slowed to a crawl. My husband only gets every other weekend off, and we screwed that schedule up by taking 2- 2 week vacations, which meant if we were home he was working. I so want to work, but at the moment I can't even get to my drydock. It has become the staging area for all the home improvements.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I feel for you Robbyn.  It's no fun to not build boats, but soon we hope.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I don't go on a vacation anymore !!!!!!!!

When I go and I come back, Sherry has an update....

And a great one !!!!!!!

Looks fantastic Sherry !!!!!!!!!

( sorry Anja , you have to go alone on vacation  ;))

Sjors

Thank-you everyone!

Omega1234: I'm "utterly" flattered.

Doris: The cannons are not perfect, but I am happy with them. I got the idea from your Royal Caroline, and I thank you for that!

Kevin: I feel I have made progress, but I look at your log and see you are rigging (and it's looking great) and realize I still have that huge chore in my future!

Tom: It seemed like an eternity for me to wait to see if the lanterns would work - kinda glad no one could see me when I first hooked up the battery.  :D

Popeye: I always liked the look of lanterns on some of these old ships, so I knew I would be building one that had them.

Robbyn: I totally understand - it took a long time for me to have and update. Renovations are always huge, but rewarding. (hope you took pictures)

Bob: Ditto

Sjors: Maybe you should go on vacation again and I might have another update then! Make sure you take Anja though, or NO update.

Edwin: Now you are making me blush.  :wub:

Stay tuned, I hope to have an update before too long.

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up............    Sherry. all I can say is that your work is "outstanding"..... looks like we've got another Doris amongst us ;)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 1 month later...

Thank-you Frank! 

Well, I have another update. I've been working on the rudder with its pintles and gudgeons. 

I used copper plate and cut it into strips which I formed on a 'dummy' rudder. Soldering was tricky for me at this scale, but I managed. I still have to fine tune and add faux bolts.

post-167-0-31449000-1441573317_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-46049400-1441573321_thumb.jpg

I've also made and added the midship set of spiral stairs with railings, and belaying pins are in place here as well. There is one more set of spiral stairs fore, yet to be made.

post-167-0-41314900-1441573505_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-13283800-1441573511_thumb.jpg

Last, but not least, I made the beakhead rails and supports. I'm not totally happy with them and some adjustments may follow.....or a total redo, I just haven't decided yet.

post-167-0-82901500-1441573643_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-11742400-1441573697_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-89686400-1441573646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

I think you're doing lovely work on her Sherry, and try as I might, I can't see anything wrong with the railings. 

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Wonderful work, Sherry.  I don't see what's "wrong" with the railings.  But then, the builder is the "worst critic".. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok sherry I have to be a critic on this one I do see several problems with your stairs and your railings one they are of the wrong color They should be walnut two they are the wrong scale and should be 1:85 third they should be on my ship which is made of walnut and 1:85 scale Actually sherry they are beautiful and I wish my work could be a tenth of the quality of work you are putting out She again as I have said is a beautifu ship Keep up the quality

Great Scott!  These are not just details ..... they're embellishments.  Beautifully done.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautifully done Sherry.  You know the routine, if you are not happy - do something about it.  From Florida everything looks just fine.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice to see an update Sherry, and what a lovely update to behold! Wonderful work. :)

Thank-you everyone for your wonderful comments and support!

George: Glad others don't seem to see what I see!

Mark: You're absolutely right about being critical of my own work - I think we all "suffer" from that malady!

Jparsley: :D  :D You had me going for a minute!

Augie: Embellishment? No, really I'm telling the truth - I did the work. :rolleyes: Seriously though, thank-you! 

Patrick: One word or two, it doesn't matter - I'm flattered either way!

Piet: Yes, I know the routine all too well! I'll look at the rails for another day or two and then make a decision.

Sherry