San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Hi Sherry,

Your work is totally incredible and a real inspiration!  I really enjoy seeing the great detail.  Thanks for taking the time to share the photos.

You might have already said, but what kind of wood are the carvings?  I assume you did those with just a knife and some sandpaper?  

Mark 

Fabulous!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

OK, I give up.  Exquisite !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Sherry -

Beautiful work on the carvings.  Are they from the kit or are you scratch-building them?  If so, are they carved wood or molded clay/polymer?  Whatever they are, you are doing an excellent job with them. 

As for the vertical pieces, they were skids that protected the hull planking when loading and unloading stores, boats, and other items that got hauled up the ship's sides.

Keep up the good work.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank-you Wayne! I will be disappointed when all the ornamentation is finished - I love making these bits.

Thank-you Mark! I use mostly basswood for the carvings such as the figurehead and I have a scrap bin from our workshop and it has bits of cherry, mahogany and other scraps that I can't identify. I use a scalpel, small files and sandpaper. The latest bits are from a piece of the unidentified wood. I coated it with wood conditioner in preparation for stain and then I decided to paint them gold to match the other bits....now I wish I had left them natural since the conditioner darkened the wood so nicely.

Thank-you Henry!

Thank-you as well Dee_Dee!

Thank-you Augie! Whatever you do - DON'T give up!

Thank-you Dan! I do not have the kit, just the plans and everything is from scratch. I may buy some rope, blocks and deadeyes later, but not sure yet. See my response to Mark above for the wood info. I have a lot more carvings to do, and I will try to include more photos of the work in progress next time.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hi again Sherry,  n i i i i i i i i i i ce !!!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Sherry, The carvings are beautiful, You are doing an amazing job ( are you sure this is your first scratch build ) I am blown away by this build

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Sherry -

My bad.  You would think that I could read the title of your log . . .

I have my notepad and I'm really looking forward to seeing your techniques.  Your ability to get such smoothness on the central globe surface which is under the raised cross is well beyond my limits.  

Thanks so much for sharing.  And, if it applies for Canada, and for you, happy Mother's Day.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Sherry,

I have say it before and I will say it again.....you have reach the standard of Doris !!!!!!!!

Unbelievable job you are doing with that carving !

Do you give online courses for that ??????????

If so, I want to sign up for two  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sherry, the carvings are really inspiring. I don't know if you've already covered this, but what are you doing to give these carvings the gold color? Is it paint or gold leaf?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank-you Piet!

Thank-you Pete! Yes, this really is my first scratch build, but not my first experience with carving or artistic things though.

Dan: Not a problem. You have your notepad ready...no pressure there. :o  Thank-you as well for the Mother's Day wishes which does apply to both Canada and myself.

Thank-you Remco! I'm sure with your skill level, your carvings will be spectacular and you won't need mine, :P  but thanks for the thought! :)

Thank-you Sjors! I'll have to think about the online courses. :P  :D

Sherry

Sherry,

Amazing carving work.   You, Janos, and Bill Short have set the carving standard very high.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes you are!!, and HAPPY MOTHER"S DAY Sherry.......

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Sherry,

Your carvings are "out of this world beautiful" Nice !!

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Sorry for the late reply, but thank-you very much Frank, Matti and Michael! Always appreciated!

Matti: I use Testors gold for the carvings, and artist's acrylic for the blue. I use washes with the blue, but not the gold.

Summer seems to finally be here and the great outdoors beckons! 

The shipyard will have to wait for a rainy day.

Sherry

• 4 weeks later...

Have to give you credit young lady.  Your learning curve looks like Mt. Everest while mine mimics the Great Plains.  Love to see where you wind up with the resin castings.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956