San Felipe by Sherry – Scale 1:96

Finally have a small update.

For lack of proper tools...I present my labour intensive method of grating construction. Actually, after I made the jig it went more quickly.

Now I am working on the rubbing strakes/wales - pictures next week - hopefully.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

WOW ! They're made from 10,000 tiny blocks of wood. Oh that I had such patience.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

nice idea........labor intensive,  but nice just the same.   on my United States build,  I came up with a way to make grates.   it turned out to be labor intensive as well,  but there was some fruits to the labor.   the only thing......they all came out the same.  you must be using 1/32 square stock.......what are you doing to keep them from sticking to the jig?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sjors:  A dozen?!! :huh:  I think my little termites can only manage the ones I need for my ship :blink: ...maybe your gnomes can give you some help. :D  :D 
I have already discovered how sharp that scalpel is! My ship has been christened a few times with blood - and it's not even near being ready to launch! :o

Bob: Thanks! The longer strips are solid and the cross pieces are separate little pieces of wood.........so........only 5,000 tiny blocks. :P

Popeye: Thank-you as well! :) 
You're right about the 1/32, but it's flat sheet instead of square stock, and I cut the strips.
My husband is a retired pressure pipe welder/fitter and has a stockpile of soapstone sticks - for marking steel pipe. He seems to have found innumerable uses for these little things. He suggested that I sand the stick with very fine paper and rub the resulting powder into the jig surface - works like a charm! ;)  

Sherry

I've seen lots of ways of making gratings before Sherry, but never that one! Looks like you've done your usual fine job too. Well done!

I never thought to do something like that.    sounds like a very useful tip.......please thank him for us all........I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one trying it......Hee.....hee            simply terrific work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

i have to say wow again. lots of very fine work and the result is excelent :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Grant:

Thanks! I've seen lots of ways of making gratings before Sherry, but never that one!

You know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention.....besides, if there's an unusual way to do something, I'll find it! :rolleyes:

Popeye: Thanks again! I've already thanked my husband for the soapstone tip. That fine powder does wonders on a sticky drawer too - makes it slide smoothly.

Adrieke: Thank-you!

lots of very fine work

Did I mention I think I may be permanently cross-eyed now! :huh:  :D

Sherry

STOP IT!!!!!!  STOP IT!!!!  your giving the admiral too many Ideas! :D :D :D :D :D  {she reads some of these comments too}

do you have any tips to keep kids from slamm'in 'em?    doors too?  ;)  :)  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Sherry, excellent grates. But I have to ask; why do the labor intensive fashioning of your own? Wouldn't it be easier to buy the grates from someplace like Model Expo? Is it a pride thing, so all of this ship is scratch? Or a scale issue? Just curious, thinking ahead to my future dive into the dork side

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Popeye: :D  :D Okay, okay...don't want to start any trouble! :P  :D

Robbyn:

the dork side

Hey, wait a minute there! We just seem like dorks because we do things differently. :P  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Seriously though, thanks! I guess pride does enter into it a little bit....I'd just like to see how much of this can be done from scratch. I will probably buy blocks and rigging line from Chuck, but that's it.....hopefully. The scale was also a factor, at 1:96 these things are pretty small.

Sherry

Incredible...... and innovative.  I'm speechless.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank-you Augie.

"Speechless".......I looked at your 2,873 posts and..............not sure whether I should comment on that or not? :P (sorry.....couldn't resist) :D  :D

Sherry

Makes being speechless all the more impressive  :P

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie speechless.....such an oxymoron....I think not!  Looking excellent as usual Sherry....very nice.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Only 5000.  That explains it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Augie: :D  :D

John: Thank-you!

demonborger: I am planning to use wipe-on-poly over the natural wood - it's walnut so will darken.
Part of me would like to paint below the waterline white, so it would be more accurate, but the other part of me leans toward the display aesthetics and the look of unpainted wood.

Bob: :D  :D

Sherry

Be interested to see which 'part' of you wins out.  You can't beat natural wood........but then 'white stuff' has a charm of it's own.  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sherry, oops...guess I need to to proof my posts a bit better :o . Pretty sure you know I meant dArk side, although in all fairness, dork side is maybe not an incorrect moniker either. I am pretty sure my students call me something pretty similar to that when they hear about my hobby :P .

For pride and aesthetic reasons...good enough for me, and your work is top notch, so you pull it off well! Kudos, for sticking to your own sense of ethics!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Sinan: Thank-you! The scale definitely has its challenges.

Robbyn: Yes, I knew what you meant.  :D Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

Sherry

Just catching up Sherry, very nice work on the grates, the hull is not too shabby either!  super job on the planking.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Incredible...... and innovative.  I'm speechless.

Well, that'll be a first!!! smileys-3d-411801.gif

And I note it didn't last long either! :P :P :P

Sherry,

Just amazing work on the grates...  and you managed to make Augie speechless.  :)  :)  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)