San Felipe by newbuilder101 (Sherry) – Scale 1:96

Thanks Andy! I tend to always "go big"....sometimes lands me in hot water, but it keeps life interesting. yeux.gif

Thanks Popeye! I'm looking forward to the planks too!

Thanks Augie! There are a lot of "masterbuilders" here on MSW! I have a LOT of hard work and practice ahead of me before I can ever take on that title!

Thanks Mark! I probably will be asking for a lot of help!!!

Thanks...you know who...! 3d-mdr.gif

Thanks Wayne! The seats are filling up! Now I'm getting nervous! effraye-2.gif

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

No pressure ----- until you-know-who starts asking for the DAILY photos!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Okay...before you-know-who does ask....here's is a modest update.

I cut these parts by hand (tedium ad infinitum) and still have some minor tweaking to do, but this is it so far.

post-167-0-78228600-1363045068.jpg

post-167-0-50170000-1363045227.jpg

Sherry

Looks like Swiss Pear...???? You're off and flying.  That looks really great.post-76-0-18692400-1363045815.gif

And so he mumbles.... "cut them by hand.... long way to go before taking on the title... indeed.. humpf"...  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark! Your humorous observations are a real compliment especially coming from an experienced builder ! The wood is basswood.

Thanks Jeff! I used a coping saw with a high tooth count.

Sherry

Oh, high tech stuff.  Now THIS is scratch building!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

very nice!!  they fit extremely well!........I can see when you fall into the dark side..........well.....we'll send out a search party!  I'll bet you made jig saw puzzels in a past life  :)  ......the only thing I will suggest though,  is be careful with the edges.  these parts should fit flush together,  with hardly a seam.   I feel...like a heel....to make such a big deal,  but perhaps a block, or a rounded chock,  will sand them square,  so when they're laid there,  will be jointed flush and fare.

sorry........I caught a bad case of poetry......

oh, really.......how long have you had it

oh.......once upon a time :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Augie, Popeye, Anja and Sjors! Hope to have more updates soon!

Popeye: It's contagious!

to show my intention
for the tweaking I did mention
was to make them fit tight
and then they'll look right
so I'll take your advice
and sand not once, twice, but thrice!

Sherry

but don't sand too much.......'cuz then you must splice!

sorry....couldn't help myself.....LOL!    your doing great!  as mentioned though......I hated like  you wouldn't believe,  to mention something like that,  but it's just something I saw..........you are going to love your new endeavor.   your off to a great start  :)

oh........nice limerick......few people can grasp my twisted mind.......I hope it doesn't drive you mad!!!!

they're com'in to take me away

they're com'in to take me away....ho...ho..hee..hee...ha....ha

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Don't worry about it Popeye...advice always appreciated. Better to catch any problems early. :)

I was anxious to post a picture and in my zeal, posted the unfinished product. What I was trying to say in my little "ditty" was that I knew the pieces were not finished and still needed "tweaking" as mentioned in my earlier post with the photos.

Now you've scared me...I don't want to splice! I'll have to take care....so I'll not further err!  :D

Sherry

I knew that.......you mentioned it in the post.......I'm glad that the advice reached you early in their developement :)  ;)

I didn't mean to scare you....srorry about that  :o

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your saw work is lovely,

the timbers so clean

if I weren't so clumsy

To try this I would lean!

Very nice job, Sherry - thank goodness I have 3 kits to finish before I contemplate moving to the dark side...but I think I'll start more simply with a cross section of some sort!

Very nice job on these pieces with a coping saw!!!!!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

We need elections for poet laureate.  But let's wait until they vote on the Pope first.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Keep this up and we'll have to change the title to:  San Felipe and Poetry Corner by Newdarksider101 – Scale 1:96, Lead Ship of the Spanish Armada (First Scratch Build) :)  :P  :P  :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Wayne! I see we have another poet in our midst! I told Popeye it was contagious. :)

Thanks Andy! Yes, maybe we are all a little nuts, but it keeps things interesting. The electrical assistance will arrive at about the same time as the financial assistance. :D My husband has a vast array of tools which I am free to use, but they are all too large for my project. :(

Augie...I nominate Popeye...he started all this!

Mark...that title has a nice ring to it! Where else could you build a model ship, have a laugh, share some poetry and make friends! This is a unique site!

Edited by Newdarksider101

Sherry

Hi all,what a site,better than going to the movies. one can sea a masterly built ship coming over the horizon,thanks for the entertainment. will follow your blog with great interest,(starting right usually ends up right),I think you will become a good teacher to us novices. well done, Ed. ps,have also ordered a case of popcorn.

I finally have a small update! :)

It's been very busy...brother had a heart attack, daughter broke her foot...and that was just one day! :(

Anyway, things have settled down now and I have a chance to work on my San Felipe!

Even though I was "coping" well and not "fretting" too much with my hand sawing...I now have a scroll saw!

The first picture shows the brand new saw that lasted about 3 1/2 minutes...until the plastic bearing collar broke and parts flew!

The second picture shows the used scroll saw that I replaced it with (all metal, 22 inch). It works like a charm!

post-167-0-40694100-1364067774.jpg

post-167-0-01902700-1364067791.jpg

This is the finished knee of the head/keel parts that I fine tuned until they fit properly.

post-167-0-24858400-1364067892.jpg

Next up was the building slip and attached false keel.

post-167-0-97890500-1364067983.jpg

post-167-0-00347400-1364068024.jpg

Sherry

Here is the first bulkhead cut with my new scroll saw!

post-167-0-49850200-1364068262.jpg

This is just a 'dry fit' to see how I did. So far I'm fairly happy.

post-167-0-60570600-1364068415.jpg

Sherry

Truly sorry to hear about your brother and daughter.  Hopefully they are on their way to full recovery.  You are a true darksider now --  we get to see power tools :D  :D .

Nice work on the building slip.  Oh, yeah -- the bulkhead former as well !!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie! Yes, they are both doing better now! Not sure my daughter wants a speedy recovery since her husband is apparently spoiling her!

Power tools are great. We have lots of power saws, but nothing that would make such fine cuts...until now. :)

Sherry

Hello Sherry,

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your brother and daughter. I wish them a complete and speedy recovery.

Glad to have you back.

Buildslip and bulkhead look great!

Take care,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Yeah... very nice...  very clean and precise. A good clean solid foundation to start off with will go a long way. Hope your family if feeling better soon.

Note to self.. avoid buying plastic scroll saw.. go with scary looking antique steel one...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sorry to hear about the family... hope all recover quickly.   Lovely work with the scroll saw.  New isn't always better and that old saw cuts very nicely.  Are you sure you've never scratchbuilt a ship before? :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work Sherry, I see your moving right along ( as expected ). glad to hear your daughter and brother are doing better.

Like your saw!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)