Dubz

USS Brig Syren by Dubz - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 18 gun brig

Thanks Augie & Frank for your nice comments!

Portugal is a very nice place to live, a friend of mine lives there and I have been there two times allready (at the atlantic part of the Algarve) it's a great place for surfing with a lovely landscape.

Hope you had fun washing your damn big SUVs ... pffff .... :D

The roads are damn small sometimes (even you are allowed to drive them with 80 km ... haha) ... and incoming here is not always fun when on the left there is a cliff and on the right a hill ...

P9150175.JPG

cheers,

Dirk

Brilliant shots Dirk, makes me wish I lived there.. hey hang on a moment! :)

I see you found a Galway Hooker too, and the small roads are indeed very small ! and don't get me started on some of the confusing sign-posts :)

Am so glad yourself and herself enjoyed it over here.

BTW did you catch any of the pub music?

Eamonn

Hej Eamonn,

yeah found one, unfortunately the only one ... guess they are all out and prepared for winter. We really enjoyed it, was a nice trip with nice people. We did not catch any of the pub music as we are always to tired to go out, especially because we had to leave the B&B's very early always. Next time ;)

cheers,

Dirk

Anchor in Donegal

Ireland_Roadtrip_2013_047.jpg

Wonderful picture! Sections, neck and flukes just like described by Steel - and seen on my Vic :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Really great photos Dirk

I did almost exactly that route through Ireland in 1982 including climbing the hills in Connemara and Slieve League. I was hitchhiking and it took me 7 weeks. 11 days is very fast! It was also at the height of "The Troubles" so very few tourists (actually zero would be more accurate - I had the Cliffs of Moher all to myself!) and a little bit scary in places especially in the North.

Did you go to Cape Clear? A small island off the south west coast - you take a boat from Baltimore - and from the southern tip you can see Fastnet Rock.

Also looking forward you continuing your Syren!

Cheers

Alistair

Hej,

I'm still alive, yeah, but way too much work atm. Also still waiting for replacement parts and Chuck's blocks, so only veeery slow progress.

I did some preaparation works for the carronades so that the carriages can be pinned to position.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_936.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_937.jpg

Glued the slides to the carriages.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_938.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_939.jpg

Two carronades were be glued into position too.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_940.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Thanks guys for all your nice comments! I still don't have much time to build so right now I just "fix" things ;)

As you might remember I missinterpreted a bit how to notch out the transom for the davits.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_815.jpg

This needed to be corrected ;)

USS_Syren_Baubericht_942.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_943.jpg

As a consequence I will (have to) paint the transom partly or full black ...

I also got Chucks blocks this week - what a awful desaster with the german customs - and they are, sure what else, great ;) I will use pear blocks, but Chuck was so kind to send me some boxwood ones too for comparison. Both are absolute great!

USS_Syren_Baubericht_944.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Thanks Augie :)

Today I finished the "fixed" transom. Painting, and not only the transom, every black parts ... again ... I hate to see transitions so it had to be ... hopefully the last time :D

So as an advise/hint/tip/Whatever .. Paint the black parts as late as possible. It's no problem to do so as everything is easy to mask.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_945.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_946.jpg

I also glued the catheads in position. The black color turned ou well imo, nice matt finish.

USS_Syren_Baubericht_947.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_950.jpg

I need to do the headrails sooner or later .. hmpf ;)

cheers,

Dirk

Just a quickie, Dirk. It's lovely paintwork. Are you still using Humbrol enamel for the matt black?

Tony

Thanks again for all your nice comments, can't say how much I appreciate this! :)

Chuck was so kind sending me some boxwood together with the blocks so that I could try to make the headrails with this wood. 

I must say "WOW" ... what a ****** great wood!

It's a pity that it is so hard to get here in germany/europe ... My first impression is I like it more than pear ... eijeijei I need a basswood source :D

So here's the result. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the carving but macro is cruel anyway ... ;)

USS_Syren_Baubericht_953.jpg

USS_Syren_Baubericht_954.jpg

cheers,

Dirk