Rookie needs help!

Hi folks,

I decided to update my drafting skill-set and started looking at model engineering as an avenue.  Although retired from aerospace, I have always had an interest in boats and ships.  At this point in time, not really interested in model ship fabrication, but drafting and modelling efforts.

I PM'd Wayne Kempson regarding his article 'Drafting Ship Plans in CAD, A Basic Introduction', I told Wayne that I felt his article was very interesting (although there was much that I did not understand) and a good starting point for me.  I also asked Wayne his recommendation for a fairly easy plan to start with.

Wayne sent me a very friendly response and advised to start with one of the ships from the Anatomy of the Ship series.  He also recommended this forum as an invaluable resource.

I went to the library and was able to check out AOS HMS Beach.  Man, I'm excited now!  I've got the profile, half-breadth and body plans.  Very clear and readable.  I'm ready to scan into .jpg and then import into TurboCAD.

This is where the wheels come off.  The profile and half-breadth plan cover two pages.  I can't scan properly without tearing out the pages (can't do that, it's a library book) and the book will not lie flat on the scanner.  The gap between the two pages leave some doubt as to where the edge of the figure actually is!!!

So my rookie question - where can go on the internet to download the 3 plans (profile, half-breadth and body) needed to get through Wayne's tutorial?  I'm not worried about any the type of vessel, I just need some useable .jpg files.  To me this is a drafting exercise and an effort gain some knowledge about ship construction and terminology.

Thank you so much for your time!

Ted

SE Queensland, Australia     

Ted,

If you just want something to practice with, have a look at this article:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/InterpretingLineDrawings.pdf    Russ explains the meaning of the lines and there's a simple set of plans.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's good to hear, Ted.  I hope it goes well and you have fun.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Small hic-cup!  Russell's .pdf file has some of the text missing on the far left hand side (readers view) of the OUTBOARD PROFILE.  Probably not important, but I'm not sure.  Russell indicates this figure is from a Model Shipways plan.  Would you happen to know the name of the ship this plan represents?  I thought I might be able to get the missing text from the Model Shipways site if I knew the name of the ship.

Thanks,

Ted 

Ted,

I really don't know much about where that plan came from.  You might try PM'ing "Russ" as he's the author.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Ted

It looks like the labels for the waterlines on the plan Russ is using for an example are truncated on the sheer plan, but the text of the document is whole.  If this is what you're referring to, I don't think anything else is really missing.  If you're missing some of the actual text then I would suspect some issues on your end - I can see Russ's complete text.

Frank

Frank,

Thank you for the reply.  My issue was with the drawing, not with the text.  I have contacted Russ and he graciously helped me out with the missing bit and answered a query about W5 on the Outboard profile.

Seems like with everyone I meet on this forum there is some kind of connection.  Russ is located in Biloxi - I used to live in Biloxi.  Terry (CDR_Ret) lives in Greenville S.C.  - I used to live in Greenville S.C.

You are in Sun Lakes , AZ  -  I don't know where Sun Lakes is located.  But I did live in Tucson, AZ while based at Davis-Monthan(sp) AFB in the late 1960's, my oldest daughter was born in Tucson.  It is indeed a small world!

Ted

SE Queensland, Australia

Sun Lakes is the southern part of Chandler - if you remember Riggs Rd off I-10, it's right off that.  I used to go through Greenville for work - flew in (from New Jersey) and drove down to Anderson.

So you've lived in Biloxi, Greenville, and Tucson - and now you're in Australia!  Sounds like some good stories there!

Frank,

You're right!  Lots of good stories!  The majority of my working career was spent either in the military or supporting the military as a Texas Instruments Field Service Engineer.  Lots of travel, friends and stories!

Ted

Ted, check out http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/booklets-of-general-plans-online/ 

They have one set of lines: for BB-45 COLORADO.

A lot of other plans that you might reverse engineering into lines plans once you're dialed in.

r/

Jerry

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!