Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Very clean!

Maury

Thanks so much Terry, Jason and the "likes.

Terry, I ordered strip sizes called out in Chuck's practicum and a couple of others that I thought I might need. The quantities were rough estimates and I expect to need more of some sizes as I go along. In addition to the strips, I also ordered some sheets of various thicknesses that seemed like they would be necessary or useful. I also had some sizes of strip and sheet on hand from previous projects. I'm afraid that I didn't save the order sheet to be able to tell you exactly what I got.

Bob

Bob,

Your planking is coming along great!  I've been considering building the Cheerful as my second build, but have been wondering if it's feasible since I also don't own a table saw.  It's nice to see that you're making it work.  To follow up on Terry's question.  Did you put together a custom order with Crown?  Or did you just order the quantity of wood you needed by ordering the appropriate number of 10-pack packets?  I'm trying to figure out how the cost of ordering the already cut strip-wood compares to ordering the block sizes and buying a Brynes table saw.  I assume ordering the strip-wood is still less expensive than purchasing wood blocks and a table saw.

Erik

Thanks so much Erik. It seems most of your questions have now been answered by the new offerings from Crown. It appears that it will be easier to get what you need to do Cheerful..

Bob

Lower hull planking progresses. Chuck says that Cheerful can be planked without spiling by edge bending the planks (and has proved it beautifully on his own model). Well, so far, so good. I have now done the upper belt of the port side lower planking. While it doesn't look anywhere as good as Chuck's, I'm reasonably satisfied. 

Each plank was first tapered, then bent, then edge beveled where necessary for a tight fit. I followed the butt pattern shown in the plans.I must admit that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and I went back to my old methods of plank bending, using water and heat, rather than the method used and shown by Chuck. In any event, it's now on to the same work on the starboard side.

Bob 

post-186-0-45940800-1441450595_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79402300-1441450635_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12632500-1441450665_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Looks awesome to me...lines on the Cheerful are lovely.  She looks like she is really a fun build.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

excellent work Bob,

beautiful planking, clean and accurate...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lower hull planking progresses. Chuck says that Cheerful can be planked without spiling by edge bending the planks (and has proved it beautifully on his own model). Well, so far, so good. I have now done the upper belt of the port side lower planking. While it doesn't look anywhere as good as Chuck's, I'm reasonably satisfied. 

Each plank was first tapered, then bent, then edge beveled where necessary for a tight fit. I followed the butt pattern shown in the plans.I must admit that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and I went back to my old methods of plank bending, using water and heat, rather than the method used and shown by Chuck. In any event, it's now on to the same work on the starboard side.

Bob 

Whatever method is comfortable for you and easier is the way to go as long as the end result comes out nice.  Your planking looks great.

David B

Thanks so much Nigel, Grant, George, Nils and David for the nice comments and also to all of the "likes". As always your support and encouragement are appreciated.

Bob

Looks like that's the ticket for you.  I like Chuck's method.  Neat work, as always.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob:

Just caught up on your Cheerful - she's coming together very nicely. 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I've now done the upper belt of the lower planking on the starboard side. All of the same procedures were used as on the port side. As on the port side , the planking is only rough sanded at this point.  Usually the second version of any work goes faster and easier, but for whatever reason that was not the case here.

In any event, it's time to face up to doing the square tuck stern. Although Chuck has made it look easy on his model, it just doesn't look easy at all when I look at the necessary work ahead of me. We shall see. :huh:

Bob

post-186-0-11556300-1442416796_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59575100-1442416831_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53104500-1442416861_thumb.jpg

Looking great Bob , very tidy. I am exactly at the same stage of planking and about to start from the keel up....

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

What Dirk said.....

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Super work as always Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Drats, just now finding this build.  I could have used your planking techniques when I did mine on the Fair American.  The shape of the hull seems similar.  Yours is looking awesome and I hope to glean some insight as I continue to watch your progress.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Hi Bob,

I know you'll nail it, and tree nail it too! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much to all for the generous comments and the "likes". Always appreciated.

Dirk, Augie and Rusty: I wish that I shared your confidence about the stern work, but I'll give it my best shot.

Jeff: Funny you should say that. I actually spiled the lower planking on my Fair American. I tried the edge bending here after seeing Chuck's work and talking to him.

Bob