Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Looks good Bob!

1300 holes drilled by hand?  1300 more to do again?  You're more man than me.  I'd definitely be reaching for a rotary tool of some type...

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Thanks so much Wes and the "likes". I would reach for the rotary tool as well, but, truthfully, i can't use one to drill those holes without slipping and skipping

unless i drill starter holes by hand first.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

One thing I have found to help is using a thumb tack to create in an indent for the drill head to sit in. Also working at a very low RPM so as to not "walk" or skip the bit.

I do not know if this helps or not. I know what you mean though. I tend to use a pin vice over a rotary tool more, as it offers much more control. Albeit at the cost of a sore wrist or hand.

Thank you,

Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Fabulous work on the hull Bob - your attention to detail and your precision are an example to us all!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Lovely job, Bob. On my first model I drilled all the thousands of treenail holes using a pin vice, so know how you felt! I now 'dimple' the surface with a sharp point and can then confidently use a rotary handpiece (a Proxxon in this case) to drill those holes where I want them.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks so much Hamilton, Druxey, Johann and the "likes".

Druxey, actually I've done it both ways -- drilling starter holes by hand and finishing with a Dremel, and drilling all the way by hand. It seems to take about the same time and effort each way.

Bob

I have now completed the lower planking on the port side. This involved the same process used on the starboard side -- planking, tree nailing, final sanding and repainting of the wale. Although the two sides didn't come out exactly identical, they are very close. The hull is now fully planked.

With the completion of this work, it is time to turn my attention inboard and thin down the bulkheads in preparation for the bulwark planking.

Bob

post-186-0-17064500-1444907210_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96966700-1444907247_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77895500-1444907281_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07023500-1444907316_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82156900-1444907343_thumb.jpg

[Although the two sides didn't come out exactly identical, they are very close.]

Are you kidding me Bob?!!! I think we may have different definitions of "close". Very nicely done. Very nice indeed. :)

Thanks so much Dirk, Lionfish, Chuck, Grant, Druxey, Tim and George for the generous comments and also to the "likes" for their continuing interest . Always appreciated.

Bob

beautiful pictures of very beautifil work Bob,

it is a treat for the eyes to look at...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A big milestone and well done getting there, Bob.  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The word 'pristine' doesn't even come close.  Sit back for a minute and enjoy the view.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob. I agree with everyone on the superb, as always, planking job! I can't wait to see the inboard work.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Inboard work underway. I have thinned down the bulkheads and made and added the false deck. This involved a fair amount of effort, but nothing that was particularly difficult or interesting to see.

For the bulkhead thinning, I followed Chuck's lead and started with a Dremel with a rough sanding drum, followed by sanding sticks and chisels. I also added filler strips at the bow and stern to aid in planking and to facilitate the drilling of various holes. When I was satisfied that all  was thin enough and fair, I moved on to the false deck.

The deck was cut from basswood sheet using the template in the plans. I cut it a little oversize and trimmed to fit. Before gluing it in place, I cut the mast hole, the opening for the skylight and the notches for the stern frames. I also marked out the positions of the hatches and companionway and also marked the position of the "deck beams" in preparation for deck planking. I cut the deck into four pieces to make gluing it in place a little easier.

Now, it's on to the interior bulwark planking.

Bob

post-186-0-25190700-1445515544_thumb.jpg