Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Nicely done, Bob! It looks like you really enjoy rigging.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

lovely work bob,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I'm a little behind in my posting, because I've had some computer issues that have kept me from accessing or using my photos. Hopefully, all is resolved now.

The topsail yard has now been fitted out, mounted and rigged. As with the lower yard, the fitting out included adding the foot ropes, blocks, the yard portion of the halliard, the lifts, the clews and the braces. With all of that completed , I mounted the yard to a pin on the topmast and completed the rigging. This involved running the halliard through the masthead sheave and then adding it's tackle, running the lifts through blocks seized to the masthead, completing the clews and adding the sheets which were then run down through the sheaves in the lower yard and running the braces through a block hooked to an eye at the bowsprit tip.

From here, it is on to the gaff and boom.

Bob

post-186-0-32868700-1459110877_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04038100-1459110936_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01011100-1459111091_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40088000-1459111119_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07109200-1459111155_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36771300-1459111177_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much George, Grant, John and druxey for the nice comments and also the "likes".

Yes, the end is in sight and I am considering what to do next. I'll be back to you soon on that.

Bob

Hi Bob,

She looks great, congratulations.

I have one question about the lower backstays, i know that nearly all models of cutters are showing them, but they are neither mentioned in the rigging instructions for cutters in the 1794 nor the 1818 edition of Steel's masting and rigging. So I even played with the thought that maybe the pendents were used as backstays on cutters. Do you by any chance have a literature reference for them?

I'm asking as I'm currently started to rig my Surly and I'm stuck at that point.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by lami

Thanks so much Lami for the kind words. As to your question, I followed Chuck's rigging plan, without any independent research on this. I know that Chuck did extensive research and probably would have an answer for you.

Bob

Superb rigging Bob, as always.

Now I'm not going to ask what your planning on building next mate, I wouldn't do that now would I. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks so much Tom, Al and Mobbsie for the generous comments and also the "likes". Always appreciated.

Nothing mysterious about the next project -- just haven't quite made up my mind. Very soon.

Bob

I've now mounted and rigged the boom and gaff. Before describing that work, I present a cautionary tale. This about not thinking far enough ahead and simply following plans without research or thought. I had chosen to mount and rig the yards before the boom and gaff. In the past, I have done this both ways without much difference. In mounting the yards, I decided to use simplified trusses, as shown on the plans with a note that many cutters did not use them and they are optional. I chose to use them because they help to hold the yard to the mast securely during rigging. Not until all of the work on the yards was complete did I notice on the the plans that the gaff is shown as being above the lower yard on the mast. Since the gaff slides up and down on the mast, this seemed an odd and improbable situation.

At this point, I contacted Chuck to get his input on this. He agreed with my conclusion, but provided persuasive evidence from contemporary models that this was, in fact, the way it was done on many cutters, particularly those that did not employ trusses on the lower yard. I was going to try to remove the truss and mount the gaff above the yard, when it became apparent that the only way to accomplish this would be to remove virtually all of the rigging to the yards that was now in the way. I chose not to do this, but go with mounting the gaff below the yard, as shown on some models with trusses. It also seems, from my exchange with Chuck, that if a truss was employed and the gaff shown below the yard, the fore and aft braces on the lower yard, one of the most visually interesting features of the cutter rig, would not be used, but only the forward brace.

In any event, the boom and gaff are now in place and rigged. Mounting involved making parrels for each from black beads. The boom rigging consists of a topping lift and the boom sheet. The gaff rigging involved the peak and throat halliards and the flag halliard. All of the blocks had been attached to the boom and gaff and the masthead before mounting the boom and gaff. After completing this work, I permanently tied off a number of lines that had previously been only temporarily done and added rope coils.

This completes the rigging except for the lower yard braces. While I understand that it is probably accurate to use only the forward braces, given what I've done, I really like the look of the double braces. :(  :angry: What should I do?

Bob

post-186-0-36659000-1459420757_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68241300-1459420791_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-91408200-1459420833_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71584000-1459420869_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02587200-1459420927_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-42254400-1459420962_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09973500-1459420992_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-61459800-1459421235_thumb.jpg

looking even better with every new post of yours Bob ! ,

boom and coils on the pinracks look super :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob,

In my experience mate with the types of boat I've worked on which is the Thames Barge's and Bawley the Gaff and Boom have always been rigged this way.

What you have achieved here is almost perfection, the rigging looks absolutely superb mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nicely done Bob, your rigging looks great.  I like the rope coils too.  As for the braces I would do what's going to make you happy (personally I'd go with both fore and aft, but that's just my 2 cent).   Or I guess you could install the fore braces see what it looks like and then install the aft ones.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Lovely work Bob. It's a shame about the gaff with the gaff (pun intended) :) I'd go with "you're the Captain" in this case - rig the braces any way you like.

Thanks so much Nils, druxey, Mobbsie, Sal, Grant and Spyglass for the very kind words and thanks also to all of the "likes".

I'm still torn about what to with the braces. My historically accurate side says to go with only the forward braces. My artistic license side says to do the fore and aft. In my usual fashion of putting such decisions off, I have done the forward braces, but will delay the final decision for a day or two.

Bob

Bob,

As one who strives for accuracy himself, I feel your pain with this decision about the aft braces.  With that said, I'm sure 99% of us, if not 100%, wouldn't have noticed the inaccuracy of the gaff below the lower yard as well as including the aft brace, if you had not pointed it out.  While striving for accuracy, at some point we have to admit that we are creating a representation of the real thing.  So in a case like this, in my humble opinion, what looks most interesting on the finished ship is what I'd go with.  Either choice will in no way detract from what you've accomplished with this build.  :)

Erik

Bob, I don't know what the most historically accurate representation is, but I love the way you did the rigging! It looks absolutely fantastic! 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)