Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Congrats on the milestone, Bob.  That's a big one to attain.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on reaching this milestone Bob. She looks terrific, and that windlass kit from Chuck looks to be well worth the investment.

Thanks so much Chuck, druxey, Sjors, Mark, Albert and Grant for the generous comments and also the "likes". As always, your interest and attention is appreciated.

Thanks Chuck for the quick response on the rigging question. I'm afraid that it's likely to be only the first of many questions. 

Bob

Compliments ! very good work !!!!!

Current build  

Enterprize

Schifetto

Completed builds:

LA BELLE

La Jacinthe French Schooner

Cherful

Tartana Gemma

Carmenia           

Salvatore Padre 

Tartana Gemma

Bisquine La Granvillaise

Fishing-boat

English pinnace

18th Century Longboat

Bob,

I wish I could press "like" multiple times.

Really good work.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

With work on the hull complete, it was time to work to begin work on the mast (the bowsprit was already done in connection with the interior detailing). I began with the lower mast. The process was straightforward: I started with a dowel cut to a length that included the below deck portion, the head and the tenon for the cap; the below deck portion was filed to a shape to fit the four sided slot that I had long ago created on the bulkhead former; the head was cut and sanded to it's square shape and the tenon was further cut and sanded to it's smaller square shape; flat areas were sanded below the head for the cheeks. The mast below the cheeks was stained golden oak and given a coat of Wipe-on Poly.

The mast was now ready for the addition of it's various fittings: this began with the cheeks which were cut from boxwood sheet and glued in place; next was the boom rest, which was cut from boxwood sheet, glued in place and it's supports added, made from boxwood strip; lastly, I made cleats from boxwood strip and pinned and glued them in place.

Next, I made up the trestletrees and crosstrees from boxwood strip. Slots were sawed and chiseled to fit the pieces to the head. The crosstrees were bent to shape and the parts were assembled and glued in place on the head. I then painted the head and the trestletree-crosstree assembly black and lastly added black painted paper bands on the head and eyebolts through the after side of the bands. I also added a pin to the mast to hold the main yard in place.

The last work was to make the mast cap and mast coat. Both were cut from boxwood sheet with appropriate holes drilled and filed before they were cut out. Eyebolts were added to the cap and both parts were painted black.

Finally I installed the mast in the hull slot. I prefer to glue it in place permanently for stability, although I know that there are differences of opinion about this.

Bob

post-186-0-79961500-1454774369_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56777200-1454774396_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59787200-1454774442_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68856300-1454774467_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-81938500-1454774495_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15285000-1454774517_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-98276700-1454774543_thumb.jpg

Bob,

You're moving right along.  Looks great!  You're getting to that advanced stage of the build where you're probably thinking, "Um, I'm almost done . . . I wonder what my next project will be".  :)

Erik

Looking really sharp Bob, well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nice Bob! Finish line is in sight and approaching quickly. So what IS next?.........

That is some great work Bob!

I too am curious as to what is next in your cue!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Chuck, George, Erik, Mobbsie, Sjors, Grant and Rusty for the kind words and thanks also to all of the "likes" for your continuing interest and attention.

Funny that so many would ask about what's next. I've just started thinking about it, and I really don't have a clue. I've wanted to do

Chuck's Winchelsea, but that seems well off in the future; I've thought about another cross-section; I've gotten interested in river steamboats as a result of the great logs on MSW; I've even given thought to a plastic or resin warship, but the scale just seems too small for my aging faculties. As I said, I really have no clue. Suggestions are welcome.

Bob

I can thoroughly recommend the Bomb Vessel Cross Section, Bob. The plans by Jeff Staudt are excellent and at 1:48 scale is easy enough to work with while not producing a "monster" to house on completion. I have found it to be a most enjoyable build.

Thanks so much Grant and Tom and the "likes". Grant, that is one of the choices I've had in mind. I've loved the job you and Mobbsie (and Rusty earlier) had done with it. In my fashion, I'll probably put off any decision for as long as I can. :)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Before doing the rigging of the bowsprit, I decided to make up the topmast, the yards and the boom and gaff.

Lacking a lathe, I proceeded in my usual fashion of beginning with round dowels and building up, where necessary on the topmast and yards, to create eight sided sections. I start by filing the appropriate section to a square, then adding boxwood strip to build up the square, filing to an eight sided shape, and then blending the sections by sanding.

In each instance, the dowels were tapered by hand sanding and shoulders were filed in where required (topmast head, boom and gaff ends). Sheaves  were drilled and cut in on the topmast and lower yard. Jaws were cut from boxwood sheet and added to the boom and gaff. Lastly, cleats were cut from boxwood strip and added to the yards and boom. A fid was added to the topmast.

The topmast was stained golden oak and the head and doubling were painted black. The yards, boom and gaff were painted black.

Bob

post-186-0-39380700-1455710567_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-13249900-1455710591_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89435400-1455710615_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73591100-1455710645_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31573700-1455710669_thumb.jpg

Beautiful!!!!!! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

beautiful work Bob,

Well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50