rafine

Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine

Lovely lovely work !!

Just a point on back stays - gaff rigged vessels of this size usually have at least the upper backstays as "running " backstays.

That of course is to allow the gaff and boom to move well out.

My experience is of course with more recent vessels but they were all fitted with  a hook on the end of the back stay tackles so they could quickly be disengaged from an eyebolt aft and moved to another eye forrard clear of the gaff and boom. 

Bloody nuisance when making a big tack change and meant that gybing was best avoided.  It was just too easy to end up with no properly positioned backstay to windward !  Or even  - if you really messed it up - NO properly secured backstays at all !!

Thanks so much Nils, druxey, Mobbsie, Sal, Grant and Spyglass for the very kind words and thanks also to all of the "likes".

I'm still torn about what to with the braces. My historically accurate side says to go with only the forward braces. My artistic license side says to do the fore and aft. In my usual fashion of putting such decisions off, I have done the forward braces, but will delay the final decision for a day or two.

Bob

Bob,

As one who strives for accuracy himself, I feel your pain with this decision about the aft braces.  With that said, I'm sure 99% of us, if not 100%, wouldn't have noticed the inaccuracy of the gaff below the lower yard as well as including the aft brace, if you had not pointed it out.  While striving for accuracy, at some point we have to admit that we are creating a representation of the real thing.  So in a case like this, in my humble opinion, what looks most interesting on the finished ship is what I'd go with.  Either choice will in no way detract from what you've accomplished with this build.  :)

Erik

Well, I finally made up my mind on the braces. Let's just say that my heart  overcame my head (the purists can line up over here and start beating me around the head  :(  ;) ). This completes the rigging.

While I was agonizing on the brace issue, I made up the two anchors. Given my longtime aversion to metal work, the anchors are made entirely of sheet and strip boxwood. The bands on the stocks are black painted paper. The rings are wire bent to shape, with .025" line wrapped around them for the puddening. I'm still at a loss, even after consulting with Chuck and reviewing photos of contemporary models, as to how to mount the anchors. I've tried a few ways and nothing seems quite right.

Bob

post-186-0-41314500-1459779256_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78028100-1459779284_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-52436600-1459779315_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15373600-1459779341_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30987900-1459779385_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-44253300-1459779413_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36067300-1459779438_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-54216000-1459779472_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71242400-1459779497_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88497000-1459779530_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob

I just caught up with your build log, after having read you first posts some time ago I forgot to mark it as 'follow this topic' so missed all your more recent updates. I wasn't aware you have almost completed the beautiful Cheerful, it's really awesome: I like everything of this little boat and the crispy way you have built it! So instead of hitting the 'like' buttons I prefer telling you directly: you did a great job!

Thank you for sharing

Fam

Thanks so much Nils, druxey, Mark, Rusty, Richard, Fam and Sal for the generous comments and also the "likes". It's true what they say about necessity being the mother of invention. Over the years, I've found all sorts of ways not to do things with metal. Anchors have been one of them, and it's nice to see that they've worked out here.

Bob

My Cheerful is now complete. I have mounted the anchors, which was the last remaining work to be done. As I indicated earlier, I was having trouble coming up with a mounting plan with which I was happy. My solution, after reviewing photos of contemporary models, and trying out various configurations, was to mount the two anchors differently. On the congested port side, I chose to go with lashing the anchor to two timberheads, without a cable or cat block. On the more open starboard side, I went with the anchor hanging from the cat block, with a cable leading back to the windlass and being tied off to it, as shown on the Rogers collection model. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you on MSW who have followed this build and provided the kind of support, encouragement and friendship that we have come to expect from the members of this site. I also want to thank Chuck for coming up with this project and the products to support it. It has been one of the most enjoyable builds that I have done.

Attached are photos of the anchor installation and the  model's completion portraits.

For those interested, my next build will be the Caldercraft Granado. A full description of the reasons for the choice and my plans for the build will be set out in the log that I will be starting today in the kit build section ( how's that for a cheap ploy to get all of you to look at the new log  :D  :D  :D ).

Bob

post-186-0-76148600-1460032699_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89968200-1460032728_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-61247400-1460032754_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15687400-1460032778_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85263700-1460032808_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-49548600-1460032833_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68301800-1460032862_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40135400-1460032890_thumb.jpg

congratulations to finalizing this beautiful and excellent built cutter Bob ,

:)   ​

the pictures are also great, trust your model`s build log sequences will be looked up by many MSW fellow builders

Nils